Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember not paying attention to college basketball other than to check in to see if the men were on the bubble. I remember sitting at .500 in January talking about what the team needs to do to get a bid and feeling like we'd achieved something if we made the tournament.

Now people seriously want to fire Barnes and think we won't end up with another Donnie Tyndall, or revert back to the days of crossing our fingers and finishing middle of the pack in the SEC.

Barnes isn't gonna be here for another 10 years. He may not be here for 5. He's going to retire eventually. Let’s just enjoy being good and let a first ballot HOF coach ride off into the sunset before we subject ourselves to the unknown again. Why the rush?
👏🏻 Love Rick Barnes. We used to suck. We do not suck now. In fact we are still really good. It’s hard to beat a team 12 times in a row.

Have you tin foil hats considered the fact that we dont get fouls is because the team is reluctant to drive to the basket and is timid on the offensive glass? If you aren't getting fouls, its not always on the refs. You gotta adapt.
We're also VERY aggro on defense.

That comes with the territory of also being really high in steals and playing tight from perimeter to the net. Shoot I believe we've had multiple fouls on 3s just in the past couple games I've seen. It's the bad that comes with a wholllle lot of good.

Reactions: bignewt
I didn't think scholarships were for 4 years. I'm often wrong, just ask my wife.
They have been guaranteed since 2015 in the Autonomous 5 conferences ("Power 5").

Technically called "guaranteed multiyear scholarships". Though they are signed each year, it is more of a formality since your ability to re-sign is guaranteed by the bylaws, outside of breaking major rules.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
If Dante Thornton is what he seems to be, which WR is the odd man out?
247's projection actually had him behind Squirrel.

Bru
Squirrel
Keyton

is how they had it. Personally, I wonder how Leacock may shake things up. He's had a meteoric rise.

Maybe a moot point and Thornton is the rotational 3rd/4th guy.

And I'll assume a small rotation until that changes. I think they like gaining chemistry and "information history" on each opponent DB in order to exploit them. You lose that rotating guys.

And we score so fast, a smaller rotation isn't bad.

Reactions: Glitch
US soccer is coaching. That’s our problem. Talent is finally there now, the coaching is not. I wouldn’t say we are tougher than other teams either.
You know more than me, but idk how I feel about "there now". In relation to? Certainly not the Euro squads. We have what, 3 or 4 playing in Premier? I'd say maybe we're on the level of Mexico or anyone in the western hemi beyond Brazil. But not worldwide.

I felt, watching us vs Belgium, the talent gap seemed clear. They were soo precise and surgical in their attacks. We were the opposite and yet could control the ball just fine. Maybe that IS coaching, but to me it looked like still a talent gap. Ofc Belgium is crazy talented, so maybe unfair.

I will say we looked just fine vs England. We are getting there...

And I do give Berhalter credit for dominating CONCACAF and Mexico as of late. Progress, not perfection.

Reactions: SoilVol
And they don’t get to touch a dime of that…

Yup.

Look at NFL salary ratios. About 20:1 in favor of the players. That's value in a (mostly free) market.

Yet in college, even with NIL, I'm guessing it's still 1:10 at worst, maybe 2:1 AT BEST.

And the fans pay directly for it...

Reactions: Big Orange#1
I agree with the lack of offensive identity in the WC, but we also could have had more offensive power with through team selection and playing others on the roster. We have a young team, which is an improvement over past WCs. I like building up from the back for offense, but we need game-changers up top too. I also like active defenders who become involved in the offense as well, but I dislike having to rely on our forwarders to support the defense as much as we have recently. Thankfully, US soccer is getting better, but it is slower than expected. The US could have benefited from having the WC back sooner…it has been a long time since 1994.
Yep… Pep and a couple others not going was a travesty. We needed scorers. But I do think a lot of our offensive problems were scheme related too.

Reactions: VolsFan-TX
You know more than me, but idk how I feel about "there now". In relation to? Certainly not the Euro squads. We have what, 3 or 4 playing in Premier? I'd say maybe we're on the level of Mexico or anyone in the western hemi beyond Brazil. But not worldwide.

I felt, watching us vs Belgium, the talent gap seemed clear. They were soo precise and surgical in their attacks. We were the opposite and yet could control the ball just fine. Maybe that IS coaching, but to me it looked like still a talent gap. Ofc Belgium is crazy talented, so maybe unfair.

And I do give Berhalter credit for dominating CONCACAF and Mexico as of late. Progress, not perfection.
We have more than 3-4… This young talent is all playing overseas and probably the best collection of talent maybe ever. They are just very young. England knew they were winning the group and played us easy. They sat 3-4 starters and never really pressed us. We do not have the talent of England, France, Brazil, or others. But we should absolutely be able to make it further and look better. We were lucky to squeeze by a few not so good teams. Berhalter is pretty average IMO. I think the talent wins in spite of him. JMO.

We didn’t play Belgium. We played the Netherlands. Point still remains though. Talent isn’t quite there yet but it’s the best it’s been in a while, maybe ever.

This team is also still crazy young. A good coach will only help that.. question is.. who? With Copa America coming to the US next summer a new coach will want to come in soon and give himself a year and a half or so and a few international windows to get to know the players and form an identity. Playing teams like Argentina, Brazil, etc in a big, meaningful tournament is great experience for this young squad and a new coach to get.

I still remember being a kid and UT MBB winning 5 games. In a season. FIVE.

I also remember a decade hoping just to make it to 16-16 and the NIT.

We've been so spoiled the past 16 or so years.

Makes me sick. Pure ignorance.
Man, Wade Houston was bad! Then went and hired O'Neill, who was just as terrible.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Let the debate start over. Should not even be a debate. I was never a Jordan fan but he is the GOAT

329464285_1321079288623147_8148136875539456801_n.jpg

247's projection actually had him behind Squirrel.

Bru
Squirrel
Keyton

is how they had it. Personally, I wonder how Leacock may shake things up. He's had a meteoric rise.

Maybe a moot point and Thornton is the rotational 3rd/4th guy.

And I'll assume a small rotation until that changes. I think they like gaining chemistry and "information history" on each opponent DB in order to exploit them. You lose that rotating guys.

And we score so fast, a smaller rotation isn't bad.

Agree. Keyton in his third year of this offense, third year with Milton. Think Thornton plays but Keyton is first up.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back