Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched quite a bit of Chamberlin, Russell, Willis Reed etc followed by Pistol, Dr. J and then the MJ, Bird and Majic era. I hardly watch any NBA anymore.
It isnt even close.

The Magic is gone...

How many 6'8" gaurds are there and how many had his balls skills? I dont think any, ever.762E997D-2C81-4596-AEB9-0D2B69033921.gif
67FB2874-EC20-4518-B4E0-378521CD8445.gif
Before Jordan, there was Magic.

With us going to a 9 game schedule I hope that we finally do away with playing fcs games. They are boring and quite useless for us in the regular season anyways. Although, I wouldn’t mind if we did something where instead of a intra-squad scrimmage at the end of spring practice we play an fcs school instead. It wouldn’t count towards the season obviously, but it would be a lot more interesting then seeing a scrimmage
i agree
Play the fcs game at the end of spring practice

It isnt even close.

The Magic is gone...

How many 6'8" gaurds are there and how many had his balls skills? I dont think any, ever.View attachment 535526
View attachment 535527
It isnt even close.

The Magic is gone...

How many 6'8" gaurds are there and how many had his balls skills? I dont think any, ever.View attachment 535526
View attachment 535527
I remember going to a NCAA tourney at Murphy Center the year he was a senior at Mich. St . UT was facing Notre Dame and State was playing Lamar. Magic and the rest of that team put on a show that day.

First, I'm an old guy. I started watching the NBA in the late 70's. I saw Dr J, Moses, and Kareem in their primes. Same for Hakeem, Jordan, Barkley, etc... I've seen great players, teams, and dynasties come and go.

I just don't understand the hatred for Lebron. Very puzzling. He's an unlikable guy but nearly all great players were dicks -- that was their edge. Lebron didn't get caught with a hooker or side piece. He didn't rack up gambling losses in Vegas. He's been married to his high school sweetheart since he was young, gives endlessly to his charities, and by all accounts is an upstanding member of his community. He's no angel but he's pretty good role model for young black men -- especially compared to the 70's, 80's, and 90's NBA players.

On the court, I'm not sure what else he has to do. Any argument against him looks foolish at this point. It's like arguing Brady isn't the greatest QB ever. You may like Peyton Manning or Dan Marino or Montana but that argument is over. Lebron is 6'9" 250lbs and #4 all time in career assists. He's the only non-PG in the top 20. He won 4 NBA championships for 3 different teams and coaches (can you name those coaches?) AND went to 8 straight NBA finals with those three franchises. Jordan won 6 titles with Phil Jackson and Scottie Pippen. Without Pippen and Jackson, the impact was different. I like Jordan and won't argue his greatness but that's just fact. If you're a Jordan or Kareem or Dr J fan, you can argue they were as good as Lebron in their prime but that's about it. If metrics or optics matter, Lebron is certainly the greatest player of this generation and maybe all time.

I don't even think the "Player you would start a franchise with" argument is valid because I wouldn't pick either Lebron or Jordan. I think Kareem Abdul-Jabaar is the most unique, dominant force in league history and was virtually indefensible for most of his career. If I'm starting a team and had my choice of prime-level superstars -- it's Kareem. I can fill the roster with creative scorers, guards, and role players.

Just seems awkward to go UT, Bama, UK, and Vandy then Auburn, UGA, UF, and USCj. And that favors the Auburn v UGA series over the Iron Bowl, and I just think there's no way in heck they stop the Iron Bowl. I think they're more likely to keep the Iron Bowl over TSIO but idk.

Plus, not a single other school would be happy if Vandy and UK got put together in a pod. Whether it be Vandy, UK, UT, and UGA or swapping UGA with bamer.
There won’t be pods

Reactions: BSOVOL1967
Just seems awkward to go UT, Bama, UK, and Vandy then Auburn, UGA, UF, and USCj. And that favors the Auburn v UGA series over the Iron Bowl, and I just think there's no way in heck they stop the Iron Bowl. I think they're more likely to keep the Iron Bowl over TSIO but idk.

Plus, not a single other school would be happy if Vandy and UK got put together in a pod. Whether it be Vandy, UK, UT, and UGA or swapping UGA with bamer.
And yeah they’re keeping the Iron bowl lol. Tennessee’s 3 permanents are likely Kentucky Bama and Vanderbilt. Bama’s 3 permanents are likely Auburn Tennessee LSU. You see how it works now?

just go ahead and let it go, people are going to call it the pod system for 10 years
Like they think just because Tennessee’s permanents are Bama Kentucky Vanderbilt that means Bama’s permanents are Kentucky Tennessee Vanderbilt which would make that a pod system. That’s not what they’re doing and how it works

Like they think just because Tennessee’s permanents are Bama Kentucky Vanderbilt that means Bama’s permanents are Kentucky Tennessee Vanderbilt which would make that a pod system. That’s not what they’re doing and how it works
giphy.gif

Goodness gracious. The chances of 1/5 persons winning a game alone is nil. Why I never understood the lauding of 50+ point games, sure that's an incredible personal feat but, how often in those games does the score end up being close, or the team loses?

Bball is a team sport. Jordan had plenty of those high scoring games But he made his team better.

Lebron has to have 4 additional all stars to win.
You know jordan was doing A LOT of scoring before he got pippen. And was getting smacked around every year in the playoffs by bird and isiah in the playoffs. He never beat isiah. He didnt have any playoff success until boston & detroit got old and pippen came along. Dude couldn’t take the heat (he admitted it in the docu-series) so he took a year n half off to regroup and escape from the bs. He also pouted (he had every reason to be upset tho) the bulls fired jackson so he quit AGAIN 😂. Meanwhile the social pressure/criticism now and days is FAR worse and severe than it has ever been and 🐐 James is powering right through it. 20 years STRONG and he’s still going. I guess some people are “built” different.

Now there will be this false information or sentiment about a pod system which all 4 play each other when that’s absolutely not happening

We’ll see officially what they vote on soon in the next few months. Highly likely it’ll be the 9 game 3-6 model with 3 permanents and 6 rotating. Hopefully people now know how that would work scheduling wise. No pods or divisions!

Reactions: BSOVOL1967
Anyone can find narratives that "prove" a point:)
It’s just funny that jordan fan boys be soooo butt hurt when anyone (james/magic/kareem/kobe) besides jordan is brought up to be the best 🏀 player to play in the nba. Personally I think kobe and bron were better than him, and if you disagree, meh you have your opinions and I have mine. It’s just fun getting people worked up on here with something so meaningless lol

Reactions: screenthis
For those that need a refresh of the 3-6-6 model. From last year's offseason banter on here:

The pod model groups 4 teams together as permanent opponents.

Let's say that Tennessee, Vandy, Auburn, and Bama were in a pod together.

Auburn: Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, +6 conference opponents
Tennessee: Alabama, Vanderbilt, Auburn, +6 conference opponents
Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, +6 conference opponents
Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, +6 conference opponents

In the 3-6 model, you have three permanent opponents, but they aren't grouped together. You just play your rivals and cycle the other 6 teams home-away every other year.

I don't think that this projection is how things would play out, but it's close enough to be a good example:

1661266549564-png.482912

See, Tennessee plays Bama, UK, Vandy. But UK doesn't play UT, Bama, and Vandy.

It isnt even close.

The Magic is gone...

View attachment 535527

Magic is my favorite all time player and the best point guard ever. And you've posted maybe his most classic shot. Too bad he had to retire early. Absolutely in the conversation of GOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back