Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think the Lebron/ MJ debates are bad - wait till Gen Z grows up. They think Curry is the goat.
Let's fire up the debate and include us old guys and talk Wilt, Hawkins, the Big O, Bill Russell and the Dr....who IMO, changed everything about professional basketball. These are the guys I grew up watching. Let the battle rage.

Reactions: hooter vol
It's not a weird comparison when Bosh developed his blood clots the year after Lebron left. Sure, they weren't as good, but they still had 2 other Hall of Famers. I stay out of this argument for the most part.

Both MJ and LBJ are top 3. Everyone has a different opinion, so who cares?

I'm just pointing out his initial argument for MJ > Lebron is flawed. Lebron's teams were bad to mediocre without Lebron. The Bulls were still competitive without MJ.

The game is also very different now, and that's ok. The NBA is much softer. Again, that's fine, but we can acknowledge it.

Sure- call it softer, but the league is head and shoulders more athletic and skilled today. International players were an after-thought pre 90's.

Reactions: JT3
Yeah, that makes more sense, so that they can continue to give Bama and Georgia cream puff schedules.

I guess that teams and fans will always complain about scheduling but, if the goal is fairness and good matchups, a fully rotating schedule would be ideal. In a 9 game SEC season, each team plays every other team three years out of five. If a team gets an easier draw one year, that means a more difficult schedule is coming soon.

If the consensus is that they absolutely have to preserve some permanent rivalry games, I'd prefer as few as is acceptable. Rivalries happen when teams play competitive games on a regular basis. The UT UGA rivalry is important because of good, if sometimes streaky, competition. Meanwhile, the UGA GT rivalry has lost significance and hopefully will eventually become a sporadic game. Three out of five in the new SEC would sustain old rivalries and build new ones too, IMO.

Last edited:
Conf champ games should be rd 1 of the playoffs.
That makes more sense. Still don’t want an all SEC schedule though. I like the idea of out of conference home and aways and the cupcake games are essential for a lot of those small schools. Getting $1M plus to go play is a big thing for a lot of those athletic departments.

OK, my last post on this. My formative years began with Magic Johnson. I'd make an argument that he is the goat. A 6'9" guard that made passes that were simply unbelievable. Absolutely made everybody on his team better. And, talent was just as strong then (if not stronger) as now. In addition, offensive game was more 'hamstrung' with rules than today. But still, watching all of them, MJs overall game was tops in my book though absolutely see the argument for Lebron. Watching all of those championship series against the Knicks, Pacers especially where he just took over was fantastic. John Starks and Reggie Miller are forever scarred.

Ray was 40 years old bro lol. He played as long as he did because of Lebron facilitating.
Ray Allen was a role player by that time…. That could hit threes…. He could do that with or without Lebron…. In fact the year before… he saved Lebron’s ass when he hit the game tying 3 against the spurs in game 6.

Reactions: Volunteer821
My personal belief is that Bron is the goat. He's played at the highest level in 3 different eras. This is the most talented from top to bottom the league has ever been and 38 year old Lebron is putting up 30 a night. That's unheard of.

What's the difference between finals losses and losing prior to the finals?
I think that is the problem with judging this era…. It feels like everyone is putting up 30 a night.

When it goes to a 12 team playoff and with the schedule we’ll play, 10-2 is playoff worthy and that’s all that really matters. Really don’t need conference championship games anymore.
Never NEEDED one when the SEC invented the damn things. It’s a money generating gimmick and not going anywhere…unfortunately.

Reactions: Dooby15 and Orange.
Ray Allen was a role player by that time…. That could hit threes…. He could do that with or without Lebron…. In fact the year before… he saved Lebron’s ass when he hit the game tying 3 against the spurs in game 6.

How do you think Ray Allen was getting open at 38? Because of Lebron's facilitating. His ability to drive and kick was the reason Allen was able to find openings. Dude was a liability everywhere else. He called it a career afterwards for a reason.

"saved Lebron's ass" so I guess MJ's ass was never saved by Kerr. Kobe's ass was never saved by Robert Horry.

Lebron had 32/11/10 that game while being guarded by Kawhi. 15 in the 4th including a career defining block and go ahead 3pt shot with 20 sec remaining. Nobody saved Lebron.

edit: it wasn't a go ahead 3 but brought the deficit to 2.

I think that is the problem with judging this era…. It feels like everyone is putting up 30 a night.
It’s basically impossible to compare eras. Everyone used to play 3 or 4 years in college before going to the draft. Game is completely different now. Everyone is shooting 3’s with even big men being proficient. Everything is spread out and the rules favor the offense.
Also, sports science has come a long way with everyone more hyper aware of taking care of their bodies with proper nutrition, sleep, etc. I’m a Jordan fan because of when I grew up. I had all the wheaties posters (even though wheaties were trash). I won’t take anything away from Lebron though, he has had one hell of a career.

...Team Meeting presenter mentions he knows he's with a bunch of BAMA fans...I post...
giphy.gif

That makes more sense. Still don’t want an all SEC schedule though. I like the idea of out of conference home and aways and the cupcake games are essential for a lot of those small schools. Getting $1M plus to go play is a big thing for a lot of those athletic departments.
I've always contented those schools can get their money too if things are done correctly. Let the smaller schools take over Tues and Wed night and play on TV. Give them their own deals.

How do you think Ray Allen was getting open at 38? Because of Lebron's facilitating. His ability to drive and kick was the reason Allen was able to find openings. Dude was a liability everywhere else. He called it a career afterwards for a reason.

"saved Lebron's ass" so I guess MJ's ass was never saved by Kerr. Kobe's ass was never saved by Robert Horry.

Lebron had 32/11/10 that game while being guarded by Kawhi. 15 in the 4th including a career defining block and go ahead 3pt shot with 20 sec remaining. Nobody saved Lebron.

edit: it wasn't a go ahead 3 but brought the deficit to 2.

Why is anybody trying to argue with this guy? Lebron is literally this guy's god.

There are lots of great players, but I don't believe there is a G.O.A.T. People can argue about it, but most won't change their minds. To me it's pointless.

Wilt, Jordan, Bird, LeBron, Kobe, Kareem, Dr J, Magic, etc. All are great players, but how can you say one is the greatest, when they are/were all great at different parts of the game?

Most points scored?
Most rebounds?
Most assists?
Highest points per game average?
Most championships?
Most regular season wins?
Highest winning percentage?
Most blocks?
Most steals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store