Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bored....

I think the Alabama kick would be the obvious choice, but what are some of your other "best moments" of the past season?

I loved everything about the Kensucky game. The Dark Mode open was incredible. Halftime was incredible. Watching us dismantle them after Vince Marrow do his usual twitter routine leading up to the game was incredible. Watching "first pick in the draft" Levis look completely and utterly overwhelmed all game was incredible.
Not my absolute favorite moment but top 10: our OL bullying Saban's defense, pile-driving for 8 or yards after initial contact with our RB. Serving notice.

There are lots of great players, but I don't believe there is a G.O.A.T. People can argue about it, but most won't change their minds. To me it's pointless.

Wilt, Jordan, Bird, LeBron, Kobe, Kareem, Dr J, Magic, etc. All are great players, but how can you say one is the greatest, when they are/were all great at different parts of the game?

Most points scored?
Most rebounds?
Most assists?
Highest points per game average?
Most championships?
Most regular season wins?
Highest winning percentage?
Most blocks?
Most steals?
You're right. Most won't change their minds. That's because this opinion is formed by who captivated you the most during certain years of your life. For many of us on here, it was MJ. He was absolute must-see-TV and rarely disappointed. He was the face of the most iconic shoe and apparel brand of the time. He was larger than life. For those reasons, to me, MJ is the GOAT. I probably watched 100 or more entire games because he was in them. I haven't watched a single entire game that Lebron has played in. Unfortunately for Lebron, his career is during a time where there are endless other things for people to watch, do, be on their phones, etc. And the NBA product as a whole is barely watchable for a many people who saw a lot of NBA in the 80s and 90s.

But there are people in Houston who would say Hakeem is the GOAT. There are people in San Antonio who would tell you that Tim Duncan is the GOAT. It's an opinion. Everyone pull their panties out of their asses and stop feeling like you need to change the minds of those who don't share your opinion.

Last edited:
I've always contented those schools can get their money too if things are done correctly. Let the smaller schools take over Tues and Wed night and play on TV. Give them their own deals.

Hardcore college football fans may watch but weeknight games aren’t going to be bringing enough eyeballs to convince ESPN or some big network to pick them up. And if they did, it wouldn’t be even close to the type of deal that major conferences get. When you mix that with the fact that games would be less attended because of weeknights which would decrease game day sales on campus, I’m just not sure smaller schools would want to go this route.

Our football schedule has been so consistently difficult for the last 20 years. Playing Alabama, Florida, and Georgia every year. The only way it gets more difficult is we drop Vandy and UK to pickup Texas and Oklahoma as regulars but that shouldn’t happen under a new format.

Maybe we finally catch a break and no longer face the old gauntlet we used to. My hope is that we see a 4 year SEC schedule set firmly in advance. I don’t want to see favoritism played out each year with byes and soft scheduling for the darlings like UGA and Bama. Just set the schedule fairly and let’s move forward.
Absolutely.

I have a fear that Sankey will come up with the sham "idea" that he should announce each new schedule one year at a time, which would amount to publicly confessing that he intends to rig it each year based on the latest available information about each team. I picture Sankey promoting it by saying the SEC could have a TV show schedule "reveal."

DW needs to go nuclear if Birmingham tries to bake in an annual schedule manipulation. No one needs a TV show where everyone finds out the latest rigging. Everyone needs instead transparency and a fixed and comprehensive rotation.

As you say, get buy in, set it, and let it run untouched.

Last edited:
It'll always fascinate me how old heads will refuse to give Lebron his flowers. Anybody who even attempts to argue anybody outside of Mike and Kareem is in the same conversation as Lebron don't know NBA.
Players that were better than Lebron: Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Dr. J, Magic Johnson, Dominique Wilkins, Michael Jordan.

Our football schedule has been so consistently difficult for the last 20 years. Playing Alabama, Florida, and Georgia every year. The only way it gets more difficult is we drop Vandy and UK to pickup Texas and Oklahoma as regulars but that shouldn’t happen under a new format.

Maybe we finally catch a break and no longer face the old gauntlet we used to. My hope is that we see a 4 year SEC schedule set firmly in advance. I don’t want to see favoritism played out each year with byes and soft scheduling for the darlings like UGA and Bama. Just set the schedule fairly and let’s move forward.
I think our permanent opponents going forward should be Kentucky, Vanderbilt, & Missouri.

I'm bored....

I think the Alabama kick would be the obvious choice, but what are some of your other "best moments" of the past season?

I loved everything about the Kensucky game. The Dark Mode open was incredible. Halftime was incredible. Watching us dismantle them after Vince Marrow do his usual twitter routine leading up to the game was incredible. Watching "first pick in the draft" Levis look completely and utterly overwhelmed all game was incredible.
I thought beating vandy 56-0 after the terrible performance against Carolina was great. I thought the team would be as demoralized as I was after that game but they came out and played damn near perfect

Reactions: ATC_VOL and Orange.
Hardcore college football fans may watch but weeknight games aren’t going to be bringing enough eyeballs to convince ESPN or some big network to pick them up. And if they did, it wouldn’t be even close to the type of deal that major conferences get. When you mix that with the fact that games would be less attended because of weeknights which would decrease game day sales on campus, I’m just not sure smaller schools would want to go this route.
I would also think a lot of gamblers would watch as well
But I think it's a better route than those boring ass waste of time games.

Never NEEDED one when the SEC invented the damn things. It’s a money generating gimmick and not going anywhere…unfortunately.
An seemingly useless rule was passed "unnoticed" that said a conference with 12 members could have a play off. That's the reason Arky and USCjr were invited to join. AFTER they joined, Birmingham said, "hey we never ever noticed beforehand but we just discovered by accident a rule that says we can host a championship game now.

Reactions: butchna
Saban will retire soon… Tennessee getting Bama, Kentucky and Vanderbilt as the 3 permanents would be the best scenario by far

I think so too. I also wonder why they don't make Georgia and Alabama play each other. If they really wanted to give competitive balance to the league, that's an easy choice in my mind. They may not be "traditional" rivals, but they darn well would be in a heartbeat if they matched up every year. That game would get a ton of eyeballs as well.

Alabama should have Tennessee, Georgia and Auburn. Georgia should be Auburn, Alabama and Florida. That would be incredible to watch and incredibly fair.

Reactions: VolNash17
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back