Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple example - the NBA going from 2% to 25% foreign players. The talent pool these days is just unreal and so much more competitive. On the flipside is hardly any domestic born non-black players on NBA rosters. A dying/dead breed.

Just look at the top 5 players by PER and the last 4 or 5(?) MVPs...all foreign born. The NBA went from a talent pool drawing off maybe 300-400 mil to a billion+ in just a few decades. Talking total populations of countries with legit talent being sent to the NBA...sorry China, India, and Indonesia.

Fwiw top 5 in PER (in no order)
Jokic
Giannis
Luka
Embiid
Gilgeous-Alexander

MJ played against plumbers and accountants. Accept reality.

If the athletes are so much more skilled today, why does MJ still hold the records of highest vertical and longest hangtime in history? Also how is 38 year old Lebron putting up more points than prime Lebron? It can't be both ways. Athletes do get better and more athletic over time but not in just 20 years. Evolution takes longer than that. The rules have changed for the offense, just like every other sport in America today.

View attachment 535573Interesting write up from Chris Low
Saban is forgetful about the “good old days”. Kiffin dragged him into open wide offenses due to them losing the arms race to Clemson. Georgia wins back to back and he wants to copy what they’re doing. When you stop setting the standard, the standard passes you.

If the athletes are so much more skilled today, why does MJ still hold the records of highest vertical and longest hangtime in history? Also how is 38 year old Lebron putting up more points than prime Lebron? It can't be both ways. Athletes do get better and more athletic over time but not in just 20 years. Evolution takes longer than that. The rules have changed for the offense, just like every other sport in America today.
You're the first I've ever seen to submit evolution into the argument. I don't think anyone is saying we've evolved genetically to be superior athletes in the last 20 years lol

It's definitely weird. To not just simply respect all the greats...especially top 2-3 type guys.

Heard a guy on the radio the other whining because he saw Lebron sitting at the end of a game. Ths hosts (not even sports people) were like oh so you've never heard of load management...literally everyone does it 🤣

And then there's a certain crowd that will dismiss his achievements due to him speaking out on things. While forgetting MJ said he regretted not doing as such.

MJ still the GOAT, but dear lord as sports fans just recognize greatness and let it be. Same for Manning/Brady.

Greatness is greatness and pure sports fans will always appreciate it.
MJ might say more...but he sure as hell ain't gonna be an America hating commie racist pig.

I watched quite a bit of Chamberlin, Russell, Willis Reed etc followed by Pistol, Dr. J and then the MJ, Bird and Majic era. I hardly watch any NBA anymore.
I can't watch it...it just looks like discombulated unorganized pussified 🐎💩...I try every once in a while...the difference in quality is just too much.

Saban is forgetful about the “good old days”. Kiffin dragged him into open wide offenses due to them losing the arms race to Clemson. Georgia wins back to back and he wants to copy what they’re doing. When you stop setting the standard, the standard passes you.
I don’t think they’ve ever been “wide open” offensively. Tempo wise they’ve always been about middle of the pack to lower 50-90th range offensively. I just think they spread concepts alittle more with slightly more passing down field. Now it appears he wants to go more heavier with personnel

I don’t think they’ve ever been “wide open” offensively. Tempo wise they’ve always been about middle of the pack to lower 50-90th range offensively. I just think they spread concepts alittle more with slightly more passing down field. Now it appears he wants to go more heavier with personnel
Tempo and wide open aren’t the same…hence why Saban campaigned for rules slowing down the game. But “heavier” harkens back to AJ McCarron when they’ve been hoisting Heismans very recently…with “wide open” gunslingers like Tua and Bryce. More pertinent to this discussion, I wouldn’t be signing on with this scheme if I’m hoping to be the next DeVonta Smith.

Tempo and wide open aren’t the same…hence why Saban campaigned for rules slowing down the game. But “heavier” harkens back to AJ McCarron when they’ve been hoisting Heismans very recently…with “wide open” gunslingers like Tua and Bryce. More pertinent to this discussion, I wouldn’t be signing on with this scheme if I’m hoping to be the next DeVonta Smith.
I agree with you

Ehhh There aren’t many out there and that bar isn’t that high. Depends how you see it

Well, maybe the bar isn’t high, but that tells you how bad the others are. If you look at his comments on UT over the years, I think it’s very logical. He’s not a sensationalist and is not outrageous like Wolken and Forde. I hate to admit that he was correct about Butch, too.

If you think the Lebron/ MJ debates are bad - wait till Gen Z grows up. They think Curry is the goat.
I'll be interested to see how long Jokic can keep up his RIDICULOUS play. 3 straight seasons of 31.3+ PER. 32.8 last year 😶 MJ and LBJ never even hit 32.0. He's a madman.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
I still think Lebron leading the Cavs to a championship over the Warriors (with the best regular season record of all time) by coming back from a 3-1 deficit is the all time clutch performance in the NBA.

Jmo but Dirk will ALWAYS take the cake for me. And that's no disrespect to that LBJ performance. But Dirk went NUTS from the free throw line and put his whole team on his back. Also got to watch it with Mavs fans at Bonnaroo. Amazing scene watching game 7.

Is lebron James better than Magic?

If you could have one in their prime, for one series? LeBron or Magic?
This sounds like a playoff scenario. It's really not close. Magic had a career 23.0 PER in playoffs. His best playoff ever was 25.6 in 85-86.

Lebron is over 28 AVERAGE and peaked with a ridonkulous 37.4 high mark. Only Hakeem had a playoffs better than that all-time.

This sounds like a playoff scenario. It's really not close. Magic had a career 23.0 PER in playoffs. His best playoff ever was 25.6 in 85-86.

Lebron is over 28 AVERAGE and peaked with a ridonkulous 37.4 high mark. Only Hakeem had a playoffs better than that all-time.

I mean, according to John Hollinger, I suppose.

Reactions: SugarCC
Who would win in a 1-on-1 game between Jordan and Lebron?
Dear god that's tough. I will say, though I'd take MJ in a game, I'd give Lebron the nod 1-on-1. The size, muscle, weight would just be too much an advantage.

Personally, I'd love to see Curry vs Shaq 1-on-1. But Shaq has to take it out from the 3 pt line and dribble his entire way in 😅 And playing 1s and 2s where "threes" are worth twice as much.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra

You can pick any version of them, only identified as “prime”, for a 7 game series.

You can use more than ppg too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back