Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going by ppg, but PER. Offense, defense, rebounding, everything wrapped together. Lebron is clearly way ahead. Especially at peak.

Magic was great, but sometime I wonder if his flash puts him a few spots higher in many minds than reality and objective stats reflect. That's a knock either, still very elite territory. But not top-2/3 by any means.

The coolest thing about Magic was how many spots he could defend. He's like an (actually great) way too tall PG like Ben Simmons wishes he was.

Interestingly, I think people often argue over this trying to answer several different questions:
- Who's the greatest player
- Who's the greatest scorer
- Who's the most successful
- Who's the most talented
- Which great player was the most versatile
- Who had the greatest impact on the game

I believe there are potentially multiple answers to each of these. Magic was not a top 5 scorer any way you cut it, but would be in most folks' top 5 in all of the others. He could play every position on the floor at an elite level.

There are too many ways to define greatness to boil the argument down to a single player.

Not going by ppg, but PER. Offense, defense, rebounding, everything wrapped together. Lebron is clearly way ahead. Especially at peak.

Magic was great, but sometime I wonder if his flash puts him a few spots higher in many minds than reality and objective stats reflect. That's a knock either, still very elite territory. But not top-2/3 by any means.

The coolest thing about Magic was how many spots he could defend. He's like an (actually great) way too tall PG like Ben Simmons wishes he was.
My mistake. Is that metric something akin to WAR in baseball?

I think you just hit on one of the factors that keeps him up there in many minds.

If I was picking a team from the history of basketball, LeBron would not be on it.

#1 Points
#4 Assists
#9 3 Pointers Made
#32 Rebounds
#1 Clutch Time Points
#9 Steals
#3 Total minutes played

All-time numbers in NBA history. Horrible take. If you’re building a team, he is on it. No question
Not my team. And I bet my team led by Jordan beats your team led by LeBum.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
The point is he LOST in first round. Meanwhile James was taking his trash roster to the nba FINALS at the age of 22. Jordan was still living in a dorm room 😂. Yea, facts are facts.
Yeah...college is stupid. ;) When he was just a wee freshman (rookie if you will), in said dorm room, he delivered the clutch shot that delivered a championship. Back when college basketball was a physical buzzsaw. Sorry...I interrupted you in the middle of an equivalent argument...

Not my team. And I bet my team led by Jordan beats your team led by LeBum.
I guess I don’t get why there has to be a debate. You absolutely cannot compare eras in basketball, they’re all too different to compare. If a person with lebrons body (athleticism-wise) he would have been just as dominating if not more so than Jordan. If Jordan had played in this era, he would have averaged, I believe 40+ for every season he played. no question. Even the teams/players were different. In the 90’s rivals didn’t join together, they relished in beating each other in the paint, that’s not the case anymore. Everyone rags on Lebron for flops; hell, look at Harden, Curry, Giannis, and Durant every time they go to the lane. They’re ALL begging for fouls. It’s not just Lebron. I’m not a Lebron sympathizer, I think Jordan is the greatest of his era, I also believe Lebron is the greatest of this era. He’s been doing this for 20+ years. Jordan couldn’t do it for that long. He had to “retire” depending on what you believe, for a few years,
It’s almost that you have to say they were/are the greatest in their respective eras. The game evolves so much that it’s not worth comparison

Before the NBA evolved into an open court 3 pt game, how would you rank your top 5 all-time big true 5's? Here is mine:
1. Hakeem
2. Chamberlin
3. Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Willis Reed

I listed Hakeem 1 because of his ability to dominate on both ends.

Before the NBA evolved into an open court 3 pt game, how would you rank your top 5 all-time big true 5's? Here is mine:
1. Hakeem
2. Chamberlin
3. Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Willis Reed

Can’t really argue with that…..but I’d put Kareem #1

1. Hakeem
2. Chamberlin
3. Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Willis Reed

1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Bill Russell
4. Hakeem
5. George Mikan

Do you have any clue what atrocious means? He is our best defender. He just had a double double against Auburn. Scored 15 on a day when we scored 46 as a team. He carried us in that game. He is averaging 10 and 5. Not ballin but very far from atrocious. He has been battling injuries all year. I would take no issue with saying we need more from him, but to call him atrocious is ridiculous. For you to say I don't know the game because I don't agree with you is pretty atrocious in my opinion.
Did you not watch the Vandy game? As good as he's supposed to be, he shouldn't have struggled and gotten manhandled the way he did. Yall defending this team after this stretch in this season and after that loss to Vandy is laughable. By the way he took a lot of shots just to get 15 in that Auburn game. It wasn't an efficient 15. Players not excuting in losses start with the seniors, like JJJ against a Vandy team that decent teams have been rolling over all year long. Tired of the excuses like injuries this time of the year. Were not the only team banged up. He's not the only player banged up.

In an era that overly favors offense. Superstars of old would straight up dominate now. Bird and Pistol Pete would be unstoppable. Guys like Jordan and Drexler would make some of these young guys look silly.
It doesn't favor offense. Players are just clearly more talented offensively. This era would walk on them just as much. The game has evolved the last 30 years. You had a lot of dinosaurs offensively back then. That's not the case today.

Reactions: berryvol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back