Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pistol Pete couldn’t get the ball across half court in today’s NBA. The NBA of the 70s and 80s is like high school ball compared to the athleticism that all positions have now.

No doubt today’s players are more athletic.

Today’s NBA players would have been turnover machines in the NBA of the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. The league was much tighter with the rules regarding traveling and carrying the ball. Plus today’s league is much more physical and current players would have constantly been in foul trouble.

Given the “evolution “ of the game it makes it hard to compare players from different generations. You have to consider how dominant players were in their generation when having discussions of greatness.

BTW - Jerry West and Oscar Robertson > Pete Maravich.

Today’s NBA players would have been turnover machines in the NBA of the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. The league was much tighter with the rules regarding traveling and carrying the ball. Plus today’s league is much more physical and current players would have constantly been in foul trouble.

Given the “evolution “ of the game it makes it hard to compare players from different generations. You have to consider how dominant players were in their generation when having discussions of greatness.

May argue that today's players are NOT more physical.

I know of one specific example in a 6'8", specimin made from chizzeled candy glass.

On the bolded? Oscar Robertson...yes. Any generation translation to greatness. Jerry West would be a very good player in the modern day...but not the type the NBA logo would have been designed around. Pete Maravich in today's game would set records Luka Doncic would've never approached imo.

Reactions: hooter vol
Pistol Pete couldn’t get the ball across half court in today’s NBA. The NBA of the 70s and 80s is like high school ball compared to the athleticism that all positions have now.
Who cares, can you imagine Pistol with the 3 point line?

Pete could do things with a basketball that I haven't seen since. I was very young when he was at LSU but it was something to watch..

You're higher than your meth dealer. Maravich is that much more quick twitch than Luka Doncic...who regularly dribble past half court on his way to triple doubles in 2023.

Last edited:
February 11, 1990

buster-tyson.gif

Biggest upset in sports history????

Who cares, can you imagine Pistol with the 3 point line?

Pete could do things with a basketball that I haven't seen since. I was very young when he was at LSU but it was something to watch..
Better playmaker than Steph Curry with unlimited range stuck playing in an era where the focus was feeding the post. The true gauge of what he was? What he did as the one man crew for his dad at LSU. Averaging 40+ in a conference that had some of Adolph Rupp's best teams. David Ubben proved his cluelessness last year when he tweeted that Maravich would have given up basketball after one half of being guarded by PAT BEVERLEY! Youth is wasted on the barely born.

On the bolded? Oscar Robertson...yes. Any generation translation to greatness. Jerry West would be a very good player in the modern day...but not the type the NBA logo would have been designed around. Pete Maravich in today's game would set records Luka Doncic would've never approached imo.

Pete Maravich vs. Jerry West Comparison

Pete Maravich vs. Oscar Robertson Comparison

Oscar Robertson vs. Jerry West Comparison

Overall, West and Robertson’s accomplishments were similar. Both ahead of Pistol Pete. But no doubt Pete was fun to watch and could do things others couldn’t. Pete stood out in college more than in the NBA. Still one of the greats. I always thought Pete was the better of the three until someone pointed out the statistical differences to me a few years ago.

Pete would be fun to watch in today’s NBA given his ball skills then and add in what the NBA allows now.

Pete Maravich vs. Jerry West Comparison

Pete Maravich vs. Oscar Robertson Comparison

Oscar Robertson vs. Jerry West Comparison

Overall, West and Robertson’s accomplishments were similar. Both ahead of Pistol Pete. But no doubt Pete was fun to watch and could do things others couldn’t. Pete stood out in college more than in the NBA. Still one of the greats. I always thought Pete was the better of the three until someone pointed out the statistical differences to me a few years ago.

Pete would be fun to watch in today’s NBA given his ball skills then and add in what the NBA allows now.
Stats produced in an era tell only a fraction of the story and doesn't address translation to the modern NBA...which I thought was the subject. West flourished in the more regimented 60's but his strengths wouldn't have made him top level imo. The Big O of course dominates maybe even more nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back