Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic was always my favorite. But my all time always starts w Jordan and bird. I also don’t want a center clogging the lane. And I want shooters around Jordan. And I want interchangeable on defense

Jordan
Kobe
Durant
Bird
Hakeem/Garnett/Rodman

My mistake. Is that metric something akin to WAR in baseball?

I think you just hit on one of the factors that keeps him up there in many minds.
Maybe similar in the sense that it tries to be all-inclusive. It basically takes every meaningful statistic and wraps it all together. So, yeah it should be reflective of overall value similar to wins above replacement. Not just who bats the best or fields the best, etc. And if you look at the top names, it seems fairly in line with consensus opinions.

How posters who make name jokes on recruit threads think people will respond to reading their post:

How poster who read their name jokes really react:

grumpy-old-man.gif

What I think the pods will be:
1. Texas, TAMU, OU, Mizzou
2. Arky, LSU, OM, State
3. UT, Vandy, Bama, Auburn
4. UK, UGA, UF, Junior

I don’t think that it has to be a pod. Just that each team has 3 permanent opponents. I would like for Tennessee to be bama, vandy, & uk.
Bama can have auburn, Tennessee and two others…
I think they could make a more equitable schedule doing it that way too. That way, uga can get uf and auburn. Uf can get uga, lsu, etc. More complicated to set up. But doable…

Did you not watch the Vandy game? As good as he's supposed to be, he shouldn't have struggled and gotten manhandled the way he did. Yall defending this team after this stretch in this season and after that loss to Vandy is laughable. By the way he took a lot of shots just to get 15 in that Auburn game. It wasn't an efficient 15. Players not excuting in losses start with the seniors, like JJJ against a Vandy team that decent teams have been rolling over all year long. Tired of the excuses like injuries this time of the year. Were not the only team banged up. He's not the only player banged up.
I am not defending the team. I am defending your atrocious take about JJJ. The team has not looked good since the Texas game. I have said that I am not sure that they can get that mojo back. I am concerned. There is still time, but it can be difficult to get back on track this time of year.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
You all are under-valuing Bill Russell IMO. I know Wilt was an incredible scorer and athlete. Bill Russell's teams absolutely dominated Wilt's team. I know a lot of that had to do with the players around him, but Bill Russell has won more championships than anyone. He won 11. 11!!! Including 8 in a row. Wilt won 2.

Pistol Pete couldn’t get the ball across half court in today’s NBA. The NBA of the 70s and 80s is like high school ball compared to the athleticism that all positions have now.
I think he is one of the most over-rated players of all time. Idc who @'s me about it.

Reactions: berryvol
No doubt today’s players are more athletic.

Today’s NBA players would have been turnover machines in the NBA of the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. The league was much tighter with the rules regarding traveling and carrying the ball. Plus today’s league is much more physical and current players would have constantly been in foul trouble.

Given the “evolution “ of the game it makes it hard to compare players from different generations. You have to consider how dominant players were in their generation when having discussions of greatness.

BTW - Jerry West and Oscar Robertson > Pete Maravich.
Today's players would have adapted to whatever the rules were at the time.

Reactions: volinexile17
Magic was always my favorite. But my all time always starts w Jordan and bird. I also don’t want a center clogging the lane. And I want shooters around Jordan. And I want interchangeable on defense

Jordan
Kobe
Durant
Bird
Hakeem/Garnett/Rodman
Durant? Hard pass

There are lots of great players, but I don't believe there is a G.O.A.T. People can argue about it, but most won't change their minds. To me it's pointless.

Wilt, Jordan, Bird, LeBron, Kobe, Kareem, Dr J, Magic, etc. All are great players, but how can you say one is the greatest, when they are/were all great at different parts of the game?

Most points scored?
Most rebounds?
Most assists?
Highest points per game average?
Most championships?
Most regular season wins?
Highest winning percentage?
Most blocks?
Most steals?
There’s a good analysis on YouTube from Dangerproductions that analyzes this debate. They cover everything

Before the NBA evolved into an open court 3 pt game, how would you rank your top 5 all-time big true 5's? Here is mine:
1. Hakeem
2. Chamberlin
3. Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Willis Reed

I listed Hakeem 1 because of his ability to dominate on both ends.
Hard to compare, but statistically Wilt and Shaq are up at the top. Jabbar too. Russell is a funny case which I won't get into, but he's in the top 5. Hakeem too.

So basically switch reed for shaq, then move shaq up to the top 2. I mean, could you inagine what Shaq would have done in the 60s or 70s? Dear lord baby jesus. He'd be happy for no-calls and just throw the 220 lb centers around like rag dolls.

Hard to compare, but statistically Wilt and Shaq are up at the top. Jabbar too. Russell is a funny case which I won't get into, but he's in the top 5. Hakeem too.

So basically switch reed for shaq, then move shaq up to the top 2. I mean, could you inagine what Shaq would have done in the 60s or 70s? Dear lord baby jesus. He'd be happy for no-calls and just throw the 220 lb centers around like rag dolls.
Kobe's legacy owes so much to Shaq. Shaq is one of the best ever. If he ever learned to consistently make free throws, he'd be the GOAT big man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devo182
You're right. Most won't change their minds. That's because this opinion is formed by who captivated you the most during certain years of your life. For many of us on here, it was MJ. He was absolute must-see-TV and rarely disappointed. He was the face of the most iconic shoe and apparel brand of the time. He was larger than life. For those reasons, to me, MJ is the GOAT. I probably watched 100 or more entire games because he was in them. I haven't watched a single entire game that Lebron has played in. Unfortunately for Lebron, his career is during a time where there are endless other things for people to watch, do, be on their phones, etc. And the NBA product as a whole is barely watchable for a many people who saw a lot of NBA in the 80s and 90s.

But there are people in Houston who would say Hakeem is the GOAT. There are people in San Antonio who would tell you that Tim Duncan is the GOAT. It's an opinion. Everyone pull their panties out of their asses and stop feeling like you need to change the minds of those who don't share your opinion.
One guy is 3-6 in NBA finals and the other is 6-0
One guys played in 80+ games in 11 seasons
The other guy 3 times
One guy led the league in scoring 10 times
The other guy once
One guy in shooting last 2 minutes of the game tied or down by one was 19 for 96, the other guy is Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back