Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racing? While under the influence? Leading to two fatalities?

And leaving the scene is what will do him in? Obstructing?

I would saythe subsequent 2 vehicular homicide charges would be his biggest concerns. If they arent, they should be.

Any good faith his celebrity enjoyed is now kaput by his lying. He will see the full 30 years.
Article said that he did not appear to have been drinking. I don't think he was tested.

its sad that matters.
It should not, and maybe it doesn't, but you are left to wonder if the APD might have done things differently if Carter was still on the team. That's the nature of college athletics. We've grown accustomed to seeing athletes getting protected.

Unlikely. Leonard Little was involved in a crash where he was driving intoxicated and killed the person he hit. No jail time.

Carter wasn't impaired and from what's been released didn't even cause the accident in question directly. He likely will have things settled before the draft even occurs honestly.

That was a different era and Little was convicted of speeding but acquitted of DWI. How his lawyer managed that I have no idea. Carter, OTOH, isn't on a team right now. He may still have fan support in UGA but he's in an in-between state and is less protected than someone who is on a college or pro team and who gets the full support of those institutions.

If they got in the car knowing she had been drinking, which obviously they did, does that not make them de facto accessories?

There may be some states where passengers have some liability for letting a person drive intoxicated, but I have hardly ever, if ever, seen it in TN. Passengers are usually intoxicated, too or relied on the driver to be responsible. I just do not see any culpability for passengers in a case like this.

I wouldn't expect those to carry a serious sentence, but I could be wrong. If he gets off light, it shouldn't affect his draft status too much. The families of the deceased will have a good civil suit, should they choose to pursue.
I would assume the major impacts would be lawsuits against the university for homicide in the UGA vehicle and NCAA investigations into underage drinking and lack of control that led to two deaths.

Reactions: hooter vol
I would assume the major impacts would be lawsuits against the university for homicide in the UGA vehicle and NCAA investigations into underage drinking and lack of control that led to two deaths.
The NCAA won't go after Georgia. Maybe this is why they're intent on punishing us more, to send UGA a message.

That was a different era and Little was convicted of speeding but acquitted of DWI. How his lawyer managed that I have no idea. Carter, OTOH, isn't on a team right now. He may still have fan support in UGA but he's in an in-between state and is less protected than someone who is on a college or pro team and who gets the full support of those institutions.

He plead guilty of involuntary manslaughter actually, and regardless of when it happened the difference is Little was the drunk driver who caused the crash and killed someone. Carter wasn't the drunk driver and didn't cause the crash. Sure he's not already been drafted with millions to his name for finding a lawyer...but to think he'll see 30 years in prison (the post I was responding to) is pretty crazy and very unlikely. For what it's worth involuntary manslaughter in Missouri is a felony, not a misdemeanor too.

Reckless driving is considered to be a misdemeanor criminal offense. In Georgia, the charge is punishable by up to 12 months in jail, or a fine of up to $1,000. When faced with this serious charge, it's important to contact a reckless driving lawyer in GA as soon as possible.

The Penalty for Racing in Georgia
A person convicted of drag racing or racing will be guilty of a misdemeanor. This means it will usually include a fine of up to $1,000, or jail up to one year. However, a license suspension is a customary penalty for a racing conviction.

I would think athlete fatalities in a UGA vehicle in not authorized for use will force their hand or open NCAA to lawsuits from the families.
I was, of course, being facetious in my response about the NCAA coming after us harder because of this, but I was serious about the NCAA not pursuing Georgia. I don't see it happening.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
So what do they charge him with? Is it vehicular homicide if both were willingly racing? Do the other occupants of the crashed car, the ones that survived (including another Georgia OL), do they get charged as well? I'm not against charges, I'm just not sure what they are. This case seems murkier than what happened in Bama, and we see what happened there.

The seriousness of what he's charged with will determine just how bad his draft status is hurt. I also wonder if this will ultimately be plead out?
I'm not sure about the the laws in Georgia but I believe some states charge the all of the drivers that race that result in harm with felonies.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I'm not sure the the laws in Georgia but I believe some states charge the all of the drivers that race that result in harm with felonies.
I will refrain in using names. But anyone from NE TN will recall the drag racing incident that happened in early 2000's. Rest assured the driver was charged, and served time for that very thing.

Reactions: DarthVol1
Racing? While under the influence? Leading to two fatalities?

And leaving the scene is what will do him in? Obstructing?

I would saythe subsequent 2 vehicular homicide charges would be his biggest concerns. If they arent, they should be.

Any good faith his celebrity enjoyed is now kaput by his lying. He will see the full 30 years.
Sadly,
I think he will slide just as Brandon Miller has. Like it or not, celebrity does matter.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
He plead guilty of involuntary manslaughter actually, and regardless of when it happened the difference is Little was the drunk driver who caused the crash and killed someone. Carter wasn't the drunk driver and didn't cause the crash. Sure he's not already been drafted with millions to his name for finding a lawyer...but to think he'll see 30 years in prison (the post I was responding to) is pretty crazy and very unlikely. For what it's worth involuntary manslaughter in Missouri is a felony, not a misdemeanor too.

It's absolutely crucial to what happened to Little and the time he got sentenced to that he was not convicted of DWI. It's the key reason he could get a light sentence and if Carter was intoxicated and racing it will be a key reason why his sentence is enhanced. Laws vary by state but the general principles are the same in most places. For Carter it will be racing that makes him responsible for the deaths. And it sounds like there are enough traffic cams around that area to prove (in court at least) that he was involved with that and one of the reasons the other vehicle was going over 100 miles per hour.

IOW, racing will make him responsible for their deaths - manslaughter.

It's absolutely crucial to what happened to Little and the time he got sentenced to that he was not convicted of DWI. It's the key reason he could get a light sentence and if Carter was intoxicated and racing it will be a key reason why his sentence is enhanced. Laws vary by state but the general principles are the same in most places. For Carter it will be racing that makes him responsible for the deaths. And it sounds like there are enough traffic cams around that area to prove (in court at least) that he was involved with that and one of the reasons the other vehicle was going over 100 miles per hour.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. Carter wasn't/hasn't/can't be charged with DWI or DUI and that's why the warrant is only for reckless driving and racing. Neither are anywhere near the charges Little actually did get charged with before he worked a plea.

Reactions: drvenner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back