Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Barnes' success against Kentucky (10-9) is why you're complaining about it. He just needs 3 more wins against Kentucky in his time here to surpass the previous 7 coaches combined.

Previous coaches vs Kentucky: 12-41
Tyndall: 0-1
Martin: 1-4
Pearl: 4-9
Buzz: 1-8
Green: 3-5
O'Neill: 0-6
Houston: 3-8

No, this team stinks because I have eyes along with anyone else who watches and not beating Kentucky adds to the evidence.

Reactions: volinbama256
I think Hyatts 40 time hurt him some. So I'm going to go Wright back end of the first. Hyatt top of 2nd. Young mid 2nd.

Could see that. Hyatt is arguably the best WR on the board and the fact his 40 time was 5th fastest of WRs at the combine likely didn't hurt him especially since he came in with the 6.5 grade (also highest among WRs).

Josh Downs (UNC) is smaller and ran slower.
Quentin Johnston (TCU) bigger WR, but didn't run so not sure if he helped himself or not
Cedric Tillman (UT) has a higher grade than Addison and honestly considering the injury he had at the end of the season his 4.54 official was pretty good. I think he could run 4.4s at his pro day and improve his stock
Jordan Addison (USC) is smaller and ran slower.

So I think Hyatt could be the 1st WR taken because this WR class isn't nearly as good as next year's will be (one reason I though Hyatt was a lock to enter after the season he had).

I think Darnell could fall just because the OL group is so deep. There are 5 OTs graded ahead of him and then 3 interior OL graded ahead of him as well. So unless there is a big run on OT or OL I don't think he goes in the first.

Young I honestly don't know he didn't have insane production which hurt his grade coming into the combine, but he had great numbers and has good enough size. Only Nolan Smith ran faster & jumped higher than Young. He had the longest Broad Jump, one of the fastest 3 cones, and even though he only had 22 reps his bench was still top 15 among all pass rushers (EDGE & DE).

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Could see that. Hyatt is arguably the best WR on the board and the fact his 40 time was 5th fastest of WRs at the combine likely didn't hurt him especially since he came in with the 6.5 grade (also highest among WRs).

Josh Downs (UNC) is smaller and ran slower.
Quentin Johnston (TCU) bigger WR, but didn't run so not sure if he helped himself or not
Cedric Tillman (UT) has a higher grade than Addison and honestly considering the injury he had at the end of the season his 4.54 official was pretty good. I think he could run 4.4s at his pro day and improve his stock
Jordan Addison (USC) is smaller and ran slower.

So I think Hyatt could be the 1st WR taken because this WR class isn't nearly as good as next year's will be (one reason I though Hyatt was a lock to enter after the season he had).

I think Darnell could fall just because the OL group is so deep. There are 5 OTs graded ahead of him and then 3 interior OL graded ahead of him as well. So unless there is a big run on OT or OL I don't think he goes in the first.

Young I honestly don't know he didn't have insane production which hurt his grade coming into the combine, but he had great numbers and has good enough size. Only Nolan Smith ran faster & jumped higher than Young. He had the longest Broad Jump, one of the fastest 3 cones, and even though he only had 22 reps his bench was still top 15 among all pass rushers (EDGE & DE).
That's intresting on Hyatt. I just expected mid to low 4.3. Didn't quite get what I was expecting.

I think someone takes a chance on Young earlier in the draft because he's an athletic freak. Also he doesn't have the best stats but he's not afraid of contact. I think that helps him a lot.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
No, this team stinks because I have eyes along with anyone else who watches and not beating Kentucky adds to the evidence.

Everyone is welcome to form opinions based on what they see. Opinions are also accurate or inaccurate. Your opinion of "they can't ball" is inaccurate. You do not have to change your opinion. Shocking development....what your eyes are seeing/brain is interpreting is plainly false. You can hold onto an inaccurate opinion for your entire life. It is not a crime. We do it all the time. There is zero credibility to this being anything other than a good team. Certainly not elite. Certainly limited in some areas. But a good team.

I mean, it's tough playing with so many injuries...the team hasn't had a full bench since Auburn but went 3-5 during that stretch and 2 of the 5 losses were last minute prayers.

Auburn - no one out
at Vandy - JJJ goes down
Missouri - JJJ out & Phillips goes down
Alabama - Phillips & JJJ out
at Kentucky - Phillips & JJJ out
at A&M - Phillips & JJJ out
South Carolina - Key & Phillips out
Arkansas - Key out, ZZ goes down
at Auburn - ZZ out

So we've basically had 1 losses where the team had its full health at Florida.

That's intresting on Hyatt. I just expected mid to low 4.3. Didn't quite get what I was expecting.

I think someone takes a chance on Young earlier in the draft because he's an athletic freak. Also he doesn't have the best stats but he's not afraid of contact. I think that helps him a lot.

Yeah, I think Hyatt spent so much time trying to get healthy and add size that he neglected speed training a bit. After a full season he likely had to put in some major eating/lifting to get back to the 176 he weighed officially. But he's a legit 6'0" WR with huge numbers everywhere (so not just a speed guy).

4.4 official (6th among WRs)
1.5 10-yard split (6th among WRs)
40" vertical (4th among WRs)
11'3" broad jump (1st among WRs)

No other WR was top 6 in all 4 of those drills and no WR on the board had a better final season in college than Hyatt.

But WR is also the one position where the NFL really drafts on potential too, I've seen guys who didn't even have combines or pro days (Corey Davis) get drafted in the 1st. So who knows really.

The worry I have with Young is his age (25) but he's also still really raw so the right team/coach they may want to see if they can take that athletic freak and mold him into an elite pass rusher because honestly he should just be a guy you teach technique and recognition to, you don't need to worry about getting him into shape or conditioning. He's a grown man already.

Sources: XFL quarterback Quinten Dormady accusations are false

Cliff notes version is that the head coach stated on a national broadcast that QD would play in game 1 and Deondre Francois would play in game 2.

Dormady told players on the Game 2 team that he would not be playing. The allegation is that he gave away team strategy, but again this was something widely known.

Dormady has been reinstated. The "selling plays to another team" thing never made sense to me. Not only would it be career suicide, but who on the other team would buy them and risk losing their job as well?

Yeah, I think Hyatt spent so much time trying to get healthy and add size that he neglected speed training a bit. After a full season he likely had to put in some major eating/lifting to get back to the 176 he weighed officially. But he's a legit 6'0" WR with huge numbers everywhere (so not just a speed guy).

4.4 official (6th among WRs)
1.5 10-yard split (6th among WRs)
40" vertical (4th among WRs)
11'3" broad jump (1st among WRs)

No other WR was top 6 in all 4 of those drills and no WR on the board had a better final season in college than Hyatt.

But WR is also the one position where the NFL really drafts on potential too, I've seen guys who didn't even have combines or pro days (Corey Davis) get drafted in the 1st. So who knows really.

The worry I have with Young is his age (25) but he's also still really raw so the right team/coach they may want to see if they can take that athletic freak and mold him into an elite pass rusher because honestly he should just be a guy you teach technique and recognition to, you don't need to worry about getting him into shape or conditioning. He's a grown man already.
So you're saying Young is Old?

I will say the BasketVOLS season was hell of disappointing... partly because of just how many guys were injured or battling injuries. Rare to see a total of 5 different guys who have multiple starts miss time the way we did.

We stumbled to 22-9 though, but again for the entire season we only had 1 loss where the team was healthy. Colorado we had everyone play, but JJJ was still working back from the off-season knee injury and that was his 2nd game back.

Maybe he can end this year like he did last year

Last 8 games for JJJ last year
15.8 ppg
8.0 rpg
3.1 apg
1.6 spg
1.3 bpg

While shooting these percentages FG: 38.5%, 3PT: 43.8%, FT: 83.3%

Him getting hot is why we won the SECT, KC and Santi were playing lights out as well but having JJJ step up as that 3rd option really set the team up for success.

I think Hyatts 40 time hurt him some. So I'm going to go Wright back end of the first. Hyatt top of 2nd. Young mid 2nd.

Hyatt pulled out of individual drills due to hamstring tightness so there is probably something more to that time. He will have a chance to show more at Pro day. Pro day isn’t laser timed, and most players run faster at their pro day than the combine because of that, so the difference in time will be the factor. Run faster but only by .2? Scouts may have thoughts on his speed. Improve dramatically like low 4.3 or even a high 4.2? Scouts may say that jump wasn’t only due to a hand time vs laser time and that he is faster than his hamstring tightness produced combine run.

Last edited:
But Barnes' success against Kentucky (10-9) is why you're complaining about it. He just needs 3 more wins against Kentucky in his time here to surpass the previous 7 coaches combined.

Previous coaches vs Kentucky: 12-41
Tyndall: 0-1
Martin: 1-4
Pearl: 4-9
Buzz: 1-8
Green: 3-5
O'Neill: 0-6
Houston: 3-8

That Pearl 4-9 looks even worse when you remember it was against late career Tubby and drunk Billy Gillispie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back