Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
But during the season? During a GREAT season? I don't get it. We're actually great again, no need to live in the future rn. We can finally, unabashedly, live in the moment and enjoy it.

It also feels like a lack of faith in the staff. No need to obsess when you actually have a coach that can do more with less, for once. It's hardly the necessity it has been for other coaches.

But y'all can stress if you like. I still won't understand it...10-2, top 10 class, best QB recruit since Peyton. I'll smoke another cigar before I bite my fingernails.
I thoroughly enjoyed the season. I also worry about recruiting. This isn't a "you can only choose one" scenario. Being great again is awesome. Staying great would be even more awesome. Beating UGA and winning a NC would be the most awesome.

Serious question. Because he was a backup at Texas, how does that predetermine that he'll be a backup at Tennessee?

Totally different systems with totally different wants/needs.

He may never be anything but a backup here but the thing about it is, neither me or you know that answer.
Thing is we need backups.

He didn't say it to the player, he said it on Twitter, and what you say publicly is regulated by the NCAA.

Again, I didn't make the rules. I'm just commenting on them.
Sure, to another team's player not yet in the portal. But he was still his coach. His contract didn't expire for another year...so he's probably on until the attorneys do their thing and end it...days or weeks idk. He was literally coaching them a couple days ago. I'd agree otherwise.

Reactions: jave36
Serious question. Because he was a backup at Texas, how does that predetermine that he'll be a backup at Tennessee?

Totally different systems with totally different wants/needs.

He may never be anything but a backup here but the thing about it is, neither me or you know that answer.
The biggest difference will be coaching, but you also have to factor in scheme change. He'll be given a chance to earn reps, and that is really the most any player can ask for. Karic has the potential to take to new coaching in a different kind of scheme and shine.

But selfishly, I still want Cornelius.

Reactions: KptVFL
I thoroughly enjoyed the season. I also worry about recruiting. This isn't a "you can only choose one" scenario. Being great again is awesome. Staying great would be even more awesome. Beating UGA and winning a NC would be the most awesome.
We were only 19th in team talent and went 10-2. Unless we're recruiting in the low 20s or 30s, not going to worry with Hype.

Given we're ~10th rn, that is a massive upgrade off the bat. Which is why I don't get it. We're recruiting lights out. The highest average class since Fulmer. Wth do people want 😵‍💫

Sure, to another team's player not yet in the portal. But he was still his coach. His contract didn't expire for another year...so he's probably on until the attorneys do their thing and end it...days or weeks idk. He was literally coaching them a couple days ago. I'd agree otherwise.
<sigh> He spoke on Hunter following him to Colorado. If you can't understand that is against the rules, then I can't help you.

We were only 19th in team talent and went 10-2. Unless we're recruiting in the low 20s or 30s, not going to worry with Hype.

Given we're ~10th rn, that is a massive upgrade off the bat. Which is why I don't get it. We're recruiting lights out. The highest average class since Fulmer. Wth do people want 😵‍💫

No one is saying they're not happy, they're just saying they want more. What do people want? To be at and stay on top. To be in the playoffs, to crush our rivals, and to be the National Champions.

What is best in life?

200.gif

Need a transfer starter at OT, LB and DB. Grab a RB as well or use the spot elsewhere, Bishop ain't it.

Texas dude was a nice get, but we need a stud. Hopefully an elite LB hops in the portal.

Reactions: KptVFL
<sigh> He spoke on Hunter following him to Colorado. If you can't understand that is against the rules, then I can't help you.
I get the rules about naming players not in the portal yet. Except he was still his coach...that's all I'm saying. It would also be illegal to contact any players not in the portal..was he supposed to coach the bowl game without talking to anyone? That's where I disagree.

VN is one of the few places where wanting more success is somehow considered a bad thing.

I think some of us would like to soak in the great season we just experienced a little before we head back to our respective ledges because we only have a top 10 recruiting class.

UT hasn't been burned much, but the misses speak to the importance of fit, culture, attitude and work ethic. Players not all-in on meshing with the team, earning their spot and taking care of academics won't last at UT. Some of the guys the coaches aren't going after, or lost interest in, track back to that.
Sounds similar to Barnes and the basketball program.

I get the rules about naming players not in the portal yet. Except he was still his coach...that's all I'm saying. It would also be illegal to contact any players not in the portal..was he supposed to coach the bowl game without talking to anyone? That's where I disagree.
He cannot comment on them following him to Colorado publicly, which is what he did. He made a public comment about Hunter following him to Colorado. That's a no-no. It's probably a little different with his sons because they're his sons, but he did the same with them. But Hunter is not his son.

I think some of us would like to soak in the great season we just experienced a little before we head back to our respective ledges because we only have a top 10 recruiting class.
Again, this isn't an either/or situation. Two things can happen at the same time. Multitasking is becoming a lost art.

VN is one of the few places where wanting more success is somehow considered a bad thing.

When you're already in the midst of great success and a millionaire (just not a billionaire yet 🤫) whining he doesn't have $1,000 more...then yeah. At some point we have to enjoy the moment and the journey, not just some future ideal of something that might make us even more happy. Otherwise you become Bama fans, constantly unhappy because they've replaced true, in the moment, contentment and happiness with chasing the white dragon which they'll never fulfill.

If you were broke (4-8 Butch Jones) then by all means.

But why can't we have some contentment and happiness for a short while, while being crazy happy we have the best QB recruit in almost 30 years and a top 10 class?! Life is too short to always be looking towards the future for some rush of short-burst excitement.

We're in the freakin golden years as we speak, across sports, as Vol fans. These are the good times.

He cannot comment on them following him to Colorado publicly, which is what he did. He made a public comment about Hunter following him to Colorado. That's a no-no. It's probably a little different with his sons because they're his sons, but he did the same with them. But Hunter is not his son.
Even as their own coach? You can comment all day on your own players.

...while also being signed as another university's coach/future coach?

I'm guessing the attornies would have a field day with all the exact verbiage and legalese...end up in a no-decision outcome, and each side's law firm make tons 😅🤣

Reactions: OrangenSC
When you're already in the midst of great success and a millionaire (just not a billionaire yet 🤫) whining he doesn't have $1,000 more...then yeah. At some point we have to enjoy the moment and the journey, not just some future ideal of something that might make us even more happy. Otherwise you become Bama fans, constantly unhappy because they've replaced true, in the moment, contentment and happiness with chasing the white dragon which they'll never fulfill.

If you were broke (4-8 Butch Jones) then by all means.

But why can't we have some contentment and happiness for a short while, while being crazy happy we have the best QB recruit in almost 30 years and a top 10 class?! Life is too short to always be looking towards the future for some rush of short-burst excitement.

We're in the freakin golden years as we speak, across sports, as Vol fans. These are the good times.
When did longing for more turn into "you must be unhappy"? Does having dreams mean you're unhappy? Sorry, I just don't agree with your take. It's possible to enjoy what you have while still longing for more. You're basically asking for complacency.

Even as their own coach? You can comment all day on your own players.

...while also being signed as another university's coach/future coach?

I'm guessing the attornies would have a field day with all the exact verbiage and legalese...end up in a no-decision outcome, and each side's law firm make tons 😅🤣
Not about them following you to another school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back