Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think a post-season ban is being contemplated? I’ve been told that they have become strongly disfavored by university presidents and conferences, and the NCAA has basically been told to cut them out for the money-making sports.

UT made it a non-negotiable, and the SEC concurs. Initially, UT considered self-imposing because it was perceived to be low-impact/high-value. But UT Heupeled its way out of the gutter faster than anybody dared hope, and UT is protecting the program-- as it should. The SEC is protecting the conference-- anything detrimental to a shared revenue stream is frowned upon. You are 100% correct about that. The NCAA wants to punish UT. Sankey doesn't want UT's punishment to negatively impact the SEC.

So... This is a narrative, that the NCAA wants UT crippled and struggling.

Why? What benefit is it to the NCAA to hurt UT? How does it benefit the NCAA for one of its historic bluebloods to lay emaciated in the corner? And what information is feeding this narrative?

I'll hang up and listen.
While I dont believe it's a conspiracy by the NCAA, SEC, or whoever to keep us down, I DO believe in bad blood...and the bad blood between UT and the powers that be goes back 3 decades, whether some see it or don't.

Last edited:
Danny and Plowman need to tell ‘em to screw off. Tennessee had 10 years worth of self sanctions having Dooley Butch and Chick Fil A bag Bald guy as HC. Less Scholarships for two years and 35+ players transferring, fired EVERYONE including a prized historical figure at AD… Tennessee did more than enough. F them

That's pretty much what UT did. Zero advantage to bending over backward anymore.

UT made it a non-negotiable, and the SEC concurs. Initially, UT considered self-imposing because it was perceived to be low-impact/high-value. But UT Heupeled its way out of the gutter faster than anybody dared hope, and UT is protecting the program-- as it should. The SEC is protecting the conference-- anything detrimental to a shared revenue stream is frowned upon. You are 100% correct about that. The NCAA wants to punish UT. Sankey doesn't want UT's punishment to negatively impact the SEC.

I know people won’t believe it (and I can’t blame them), but I do think the league will be on our side in this. In fact, I think we would have already taken our medicine if we didn’t feel like we had credible support behind us.

Austin Price says he expects Tennessee will sue the NCAA if the resolution isn't favorable and that the SEC will support the lawsuit.
good. i think whether it's acknowledged or not, Tennessee football has been thru it already, been at the very bottom, and suffered enough for a "time served" sentence.

that we finally got something right and have more than a glimmer of hope should be commended, not punished, and the folks that are here now, from the top all the way down, had nothing to do with any of the shenanigans that were going on here prior to their arrival. they're here, precisely because of those things....and now let's punish them because they're actually, gasp, competent at their jobs?

Tennessee played nice. and this is what you get. screw 'em.

if we'd of finished last year 6-6, this wouldn't be an issue. 11-2.....well we can't have that now can we?

What irks me is they want to punish people and a program that have nothing to do with what happened.

If dumbass was still head coach and the AD was still the same then okay, I can understand that. But they are gone and dealt with.

Why punish the school further.

It's just a statement of power at this point... which they are dying to make to stay relevant.

I know people won’t believe it (and I can’t blame them), but I do think the league will be on our side in this. In fact, I think we would have already taken our medicine if we didn’t feel like we had credible support behind us.

Yep, a self-serving ally is still an ally. Which doesn't mean the SEC is against further sanctions for UT-- just certain sanctions. UT has gotten under many people's skin and is perceived by some to be a program deserving a reprimand. And not just in football. Other schools have done worse and skated.

What irks me is they want to punish people and a program that have nothing to do with what happened.

If dumbass was still head coach and the AD was still the same then okay, I can understand that. But they are gone and dealt with.

Why punish the school further.

It's just a statement of power at this point... which they are dying to make to stay relevant.

That's the danger of dragging it out. UT has made all those arguments and has been firm on not punishing people who are doing things the right way to unfairly make up for the transgressions of those long gone. But the NCAA has limited power and decreasing ways to "hold schools accountable." It's a cluster.

Doesn't that mean that the SEC can privately give a wink to scholarship reductions, time on the road recruiting, and a reduction in recruiting budget, while publicly "taking our side" by objecting to a bowl ban? That's what I'm worried about.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

“He was much better live and on tape than I thought he was gonna be. At first, it was like, ‘Uh, this guy’s alright,’ but then you keep watching and it’s, ‘Uh, my God. This guy has grown leaps and bounds in a year.’ He’s got a cannon. When you look at that Tennessee system, it’s clear that it is a half-field read, where a lot of times half of the receivers aren’t running routes. I think he will have a learning curve making the leap.”

“I think he’s super underrated. He played in two significantly different offenses. I was super impressed with him both in our game and on tape. I know in that offense he’s throwing into space and reading the leverage of the defender, where they spread you out so much more horizontally in one-on-one situations, so he probably only saw Quarters (coverage) and Man. He’s not reading, ‘Are they rolling strong, rolling weak, reading Cover 2,’ but he would sit in the pocket and hang tough. He can make all throws, can throw with touch. He might not run straight-line as fast as Levis, but I think he’s able to escape and create better and has much better pocket presence.”

“Big Hendon fan. He was the smartest of the three QBs we saw (Richardson, Levis and Hooker). I like his decision-making and he has a really quick release. That system really fit him. I thought he was a Donovan McNabb-type. Obviously, he got that ACL (injury). I think he’s really underrated. I think Hendon’s arm might be better than Levis’.”

What gets me about the whole thing is it’s $60k over 2 years. I get there were a bunch of rules violations, but at this point, who cares? Have they seen the NIL deals kids are getting? That $60k is peanuts, especially since we self-reported, self-imposed penalties, and fired everyone involved.

Doesn't that mean that the SEC can privately give a wink to scholarship reductions, time on the road recruiting, and a reduction in recruiting budget, while publicly "taking our side" by objecting to a bowl ban? That's what I'm worried about.

UT is very valuable to the SEC right now. We have postseason teams in every marquee sport, and they're highly watched and heavily supported. Sankey will support what's best for the conference. UT will fight for what's best for UT. If UT has to escalate legally, then that will start behind the scenes. And it should be over quickly, with everybody getting something they want. It should've been over a long time ago.

What gets me about the whole thing is it’s $60k over 2 years. I get there were a bunch of rules violations, but at this point, who cares? Have they seen the NIL deals kids are getting? That $60k is peanuts, especially since we self-reported, self-imposed penalties, and fired everyone involved.

That wouldn't buy a Dodge Charger at other schools.

Austin Price says he expects Tennessee will sue the NCAA if the resolution isn't favorable and that the SEC will support the lawsuit.
I may be wrong, but that should at least push the enforcement of any penalties down the road to whenever the lawsuit is over with...so even if the NCAA pulls off a miracle in court, this program should keep stabilizing and building. As others have mentioned, the SEC will be behind UT because it is an opportunity to damage the NCAA.

Didn’t the NCAA just recently get a new President? I wonder if the “change” so to speak has to do with him coming in and wanting to make an example

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back