Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't tear me up. It just reaffirms my opinion that LB is our biggest portal need.
So at middle-ish LB spots we have:
Beasley
E Herring
Garland
Kalib Perry
Arion Carter
Jalen Smith
Telander
Hannah

Yeah we need a proven portal guy for sure. I like the potential we have on the roster but it’s just that, potential. Beasley did improve and Herring shined here and there

So at middle-ish LB spots we have:
Beasley
E Herring
Garland
Kalib Perry
Arion Carter
Jalen Smith
Telander
Hannah

Yeah we need a proven portal guy for sure. I like the potential we have on the roster but it’s just that, potential. Beasley did improve and Herring shined here and there
It’s college….. you rarely have proven guys ready to go when someone moves on…. The staff knows if they feel like they have players ready to step up or if they feel there is a need to add more players.

Last edited:
He is a bammer, but this is what a leader looks like. I wish him the best and hope he had a successful NFL career.
Alabama also gets huge insurance policies that pay out if an injury causes them to slip in the draft…. That is why none of them are opting out.

It’s college….. you rarely have proven guys ready to go when someone moves on…. The staff knows if they feel like they have players ready to step off if they feel there is a need to add more players.
you’re not wrong, but having Banks, Mitchell, Page move on and are left with one experienced guy and a bunch of freshmen isn’t ideal. Just meant nabbing at least another experienced P5 guy would be smart

Reactions: GritNGrind1906
I probably am cranky, but I also think I'm making valid points, just maybe not as nicely as I could.
They are valid points. It’s just that the reports we have gotten is the coaches don’t agree that they need to get all the portal players now. They are focusing on offense because not crazy enough about defensive players available (meaning those not already knowing where they are going) to go after them. You just disagree with how they want to do it. Some have agreed with you. Should we talk about how they are wrong? What do you want us to do about it? Plenty of us have tried to give you reasons to look ahead to cheer you up. But seems to make you mad instead.

But didn’t we get Bru after spring? Or who was it? Seemed like they just kept trickling in.
Portal rules have changed this year. It's no longer just "open". There are windows now, and I don't expect the Spring window to put out the same quantity of talent as this first window.

And Bru wasn't highly sought after when he left USC. All the potential in the world, but off the field made teams reluctant to chase him. We gave him a second chance and he's rewarded us. Something to keep in mind should we offer any of those TAMU players that got in trouble a second chance.

Portal rules have changed this year. It's no longer just "open". There are windows now, and I don't expect the Spring window to put out the same quantity of talent as this first window.

And Bru wasn't highly sought after when he left USC. All the potential in the world, but off the field made teams reluctant to chase him. We gave him a second chance and he's rewarded us. Something to keep in mind should we offer any of those TAMU players that got in trouble a second chance.
So why are you so certain that after spring will not have any good portal players?

And why don’t you think they will get more players like Bru…the ones nobody wants?

They are valid points. It’s just that the reports we have gotten is the coaches don’t agree that they need to get all the portal players now. They are focusing on offense because not crazy enough about defensive players available (meaning those not already knowing where they are going) to go after them. You just disagree with how they want to do it. Some have agreed with you. Should we talk about how they are wrong? What do you want us to do about it? Plenty of us have tried to give you reasons to look ahead to cheer you up. But seems to make you mad instead.

My guess is there actually are some defensive players we are low key pursuing. I think this staff plays things close to the vest.

I'm not asking anyone to do anything about it, I just enjoy talking about it. If you don't enjoy talking about it, that's fine, too. Just skip over the posts. Plenty of posts I just skip over because they're about things that don't interest me.

And I am looking ahead. I'm looking ahead to us finally addressing some of our defensive needs in the portal. That will "cheer me up". If it happens, that is. I expect it to, but you never really know.

Are they the only ones that do this?
How Alabama approaches player insurance policies
Here is an old article talking about it…. I remember hearing that some other teams do it especially if they feel a guy is going to be a top draft pick but not for sure if it’s the same level or not… I haven’t heard anything about Tennessee doing it but that doesn’t mean that we aren’t doing it to some extent.

So why are you so certain that after spring will not have any good portal players?
It's an opinion. I think the Spring window will consist mostly of disgruntled players who didn't win the starting job where they're at.

My guess is there actually are some defensive players we are low key pursuing. I think this staff plays things close to the vest.

I'm not asking anyone to do anything about it, I just enjoy talking about it. If you don't enjoy talking about it, that's fine, too. Just skip over the posts. Plenty of posts I just skip over because they're about things that don't interest me.

And I am looking ahead. I'm looking ahead to us finally addressing some of our defensive needs in the portal. That will "cheer me up". If it happens, that is. I expect it to, but you never really know.
Okay, I will leave it alone. Was just trying to help you see the path the coaches are taking so you wouldn’t be worrying about why they are not after players now.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
you’re not wrong, but having Banks, Mitchell, Page move on and are left with one experienced guy and a bunch of freshmen isn’t ideal. Just meant nabbing at least another experienced P5 guy would be smart
I’m hoping Herring can more than replace Banks…. I don’t see Mitchell or page being that difficult for a freshman or Perry to outperform…Now if a stud becomes available then that is a different story but there seems to be very few of those available.

It's an opinion. I think the Spring window will consist mostly of disgruntled players who didn't win the starting job where they're at.
That’s what it is full of now besides the lower level guys wanting to move up…. Any front line starters have usually already worked out a deal before entering the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back