Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Director of Operations for a charter company operating crewed excursions in the VI. I've also done several bareboat trips in and around the VI and Bahamas.

I know that make/model and assume you're bareboat chartering with Dream Yacht. Review the vessel carefully with the person in charge of your checkout. If there are any damages to the boat, make sure they're noted. I promise you, they will find everything when you check back in. Also, test the engines and generator while you have this person engaged. Make sure everything runs properly. Same for the watermaker (if so equipped). Make sure you understand the process of starting/stopping/maintaining all of these systems.

Also, be careful in the Bahamas. It's shallow everywhere -- and I mean everywhere. Don't navigate anywhere at night and follow your electronic charts religiously. I use Navionics on my iPad, along with onboard systems. Enter all harbours/bays slowly and have an extra set of eyes looking for reefs and other shallow places.

Lastly, enjoy yourself. It's truly the trip of a lifetime.
And, yes, it is Dreamyacht charters.

Also, I have Navionics on both a tablet and my phone and I have paper charts. I've been charting for 3-4 years. 🤣

The boat is supposed to have Garmin chart plotters so I have active captain on my devices as well. We use Garmin on our boats so I'm very familiar with those.

Rural carriers charge less per minute for data and voice. Hence the desire for unlocked phones. Typically Verizon is the less capable international carrier than ATT who traditionally had a GSM/HSPA network. Those decommissioned areas have been reused in 3rd world areas.

Bahamas was a British protectorate and due to proximity to US sees a lot of money from tourism. I believe Invol is trying to penny pinch, which I get.
My phone accepts 2 sim cards and according to Verizon it will work with the second sim card. I was worried about it being locked but they assured me the lock comes off after 60-90 days of purchasing a new phone.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Weird question of the day:

When you hold a cup with your right hand and shake it around to make what looks like a whirlpool in the cup. . . does the whirlpool you make go clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Counter-clockwise. Clockwise feels unnatural

twss.gif

My phone accepts 2 sim cards and according to Verizon it will work with the second sim card. I was worried about it being locked but they assured me the lock comes off after 60-90 days of purchasing a new phone.
Sim cards and dual sims are beyond my comphrehension.

Pre 911 basic phones had nam1/nam2 allowing for multiple phone numbers but carriers began locking that ability down, forcing their own skins on multiple devices.

Lawsuits, regulatory issues, and really demand for multiple phone numbers per device prompted whats old is new. I'm sure theres other reasons I'm missing, just despise cell phones.

Seems to me to be just another cell phone doodad that requires maintenancing. They're complex enough already, adding more crap to them makes you have to be a damn engineer to use them.

Good luck bru.

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

At Mizzou, Blair DeBord will conduct the search for the new Baseball coach. He’s young—just 32—but for the lack of a better term, a baseball guy. A decade ago, DeBord was an All-Big 12 catcher at Kansas State. He’s worked in athletics departments at K-State, UNLV, Tennessee and, most recently, Memphis. He ran the 2017 baseball coaching search at Tennessee that landed Tony Vitello, former Mizzou player and assistant coach who has built the Volunteers into a superpower. DeBord clearly knows Mizzou’s history: At Memphis, he helped hire head coach Kerrick Jackson, a former Mizzou assistant. Jackson’s pitching coach? Longtime Mizzou head coach Tim Jamieson.

If you’re Mizzou, you don’t hire DeBord unless he’s going to be instrumental in the search and hire. On that note, these four coaches could make sense as potential targets:

Matt Hobbs, Arkansas pitching coach.
Kerrick Jackson, Memphis head coach.
Rob Vaughn, Maryland head coach.

Rob Childress, Nebraska director of player development.

Wow...talk about lying on your resume.

From Blair DeBord's own LinkedIn profile
1685479881466.png

So yes he WAS here, but Tony Vitello had an inked deal that got announced on June 7th, 2017 announcement here: Tony Vitello Tabbed to Lead Tennessee

DeBord trying to present or be presented as the guy that ran the coaching search when he was in his first month on the job is big time BS. The Tony V hire was John Currie's biggest accomplishment

And, yes, it is Dreamyacht charters.

Also, I have Navionics on both a tablet and my phone and I have paper charts. I've been charting for 3-4 years. 🤣

The boat is supposed to have Garmin chart plotters so I have active captain on my devices as well. We use Garmin on our boats so I'm very familiar with those.
Honestly, I find the Navionics app on my iPad to be more user friendly than the charts on board. I mostly use the on board systems for depth, system info, radar, etc... I carried paper charts when we started bareboating 15 years ago. I also carried paper when I did longer deliveries (FL to TN). These days -- I'm lazy and rely on electronic systems. Charting is fun, though. Enjoy. :)

Great idea with the GoPro. I always film any boat I'm renting or delivering. I don't trust charter companies -- and I work for one.

There are plenty of paper and online guides to most or all of the anchorages you'll be visiting. Do your homework on best locations to anchor in each harbour. Sometimes it's not obvious. Dream Yacht may have anchoring guides as well.

As far as anchoring protocol is concerned:

1. Point to the wind when you're ready to drop anchor. It gives you a better chance of avoiding the anchor dislodging itself.
2. Drop your chain and backup slowly (but firmly) to set the anchor.
3. Backup slowly after the anchor is set and release at least 5 to 1 scope; 7 to 1 is better. So if you're in 15 feet of water, you should have 75-105ft of chain/rode on the ground.
4. If you have rode (line), tie it to the cleat nearest your windlass. If you have chain, hopefully Dream Yachts will provide a snubber. You don't want to put the pressure of wind/wake on the windlass.
5. When all is done, since you'll be in shallow water, snorkel down and check your anchor to be sure it's set firmly. Stay on watch for a while before heading out for fun. Look around for landmarks and watch them for a bit to be sure your anchor isn't shifting. I always do this for 30 minutes or so.

Sim cards and dual sims are beyond my comphrehension.

Pre 911 basic phones had nam1/nam2 allowing for multiple phone numbers but carriers began locking that ability down, forcing their own skins on multiple devices.

Lawsuits, regulatory issues, and really demand for multiple phone numbers per device prompted whats old is new. I'm sure theres other reasons I'm missing, just despise cell phones.

Seems to me to be just another cell phone doodad that requires maintenancing. They're complex enough already, adding more crap to them makes you have to be a damn engineer to use them.

Good luck bru.

Most folks just swap the cards, but some phones allow you to have a digital SIM and a physical SIM and then some just have 2 sim card slots. You can also have 2 phone numbers for the same device if you're using 2 sim cards, so if you travel and don't want to give out a personal phone number but don't want to keep up with a 2nd phone. I'd assume this is the main reason people use it for vacations, the first SIM card is your active USA number, the second SIM card would be active and a number in the area you're in so any calls in that country to that number wouldn't have roaming or international calling fees.

Most folks just swap the cards, but some phones allow you to have a digital SIM and a physical SIM and then some just have 2 sim card slots. You can also have 2 phone numbers for the same device if you're using 2 sim cards, so if you travel and don't want to give out a personal phone number but don't want to keep up with a 2nd phone. I'd assume this is the main reason people use it for vacations, the first SIM card is your active USA number, the second SIM card would be active and a number in the area you're in so any calls in that country to that number wouldn't have roaming or international calling fees.
Well, ya learn something new every day.

Thanks sir. Now, IMG_1868.gif

Question for you @volbeast33. First, this is not a flame LOL, it is a legit question. You are on record as saying that baseball analytics say that batting average is unimportant. I am assuming that is because HR are up and analytics say you score more runs if you pay attention to that over BA. Recently, I read that stolen bases are up significantly this year over the last two years. This is from a May 3rd Athletic article:

Entering May 1, the average stolen bases per game is 1.8, which is a jump up from last year (1.4) and 2021 (1.2) and the highest number since 2012. The stolen base success rate, 79.4 percent, is among the highest in recent baseball history.

If batting average is not important, why are SB numbers up? Seems to me you are risking an out and losing a baserunner if some dude is going to score you on a 3 run dinger anyway. Just curious.
Stolen bases are up bc the bases are 3 inches closer…. Teams are on pace to set the record for success rate.

MLB rule changes: 'Year of the Stolen Base' is already threatening to rewrite the record books

The stats that matter are OB% + slug % or OPS….. average is overrated….. in fact they don’t like ground ball hitters bc they turn into double plays far too often.

Wow...talk about lying on your resume.

From Blair DeBord's own LinkedIn profile
View attachment 553825

So yes he WAS here, but Tony Vitello had an inked deal that got announced on June 7th, 2017 announcement here: Tony Vitello Tabbed to Lead Tennessee

DeBord trying to present or be presented as the guy that ran the coaching search when he was in his first month on the job is big time BS. The Tony V hire was John Currie's biggest accomplishment

He was very involved- sounds like he did much of the leg work for Currie. Vitello also recruited Debord as a prospect. I’ve attached an article. Debord was at Kansas State with Currie before UT, so Currie knew what he could do. The article also quotes Vitello as saying the search “had to be one of the quirkiest searches.” Go figure, with Currie.

Tennessee baseball coach Tony Vitello was hired by Vols in 36-hour blur

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt
He was very involved- sounds like he did much of the leg work for Currie. Vitello also recruited Debord as a prospect. I’ve attached an article. Debord was at Kansas State with Currie before UT, so Currie knew what he could do. The article also quotes Vitello as saying the search “had to be one of the quirkiest searches.” Go figure, with Currie.

Tennessee baseball coach Tony Vitello was hired by Vols in 36-hour blur

Yeah and I'm sure Blair helped Currie get access to Tony's personal cell number so he could make that first call. Big difference in heading up a coaching search and being involved with it while Currie runs the show though.

I'd gather Currie had specific candidates in mind and then his team each vetted one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back