Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you @volbeast33. First, this is not a flame LOL, it is a legit question. You are on record as saying that baseball analytics say that batting average is unimportant. I am assuming that is because HR are up and analytics say you score more runs if you pay attention to that over BA. Recently, I read that stolen bases are up significantly this year over the last two years. This is from a May 3rd Athletic article:

Entering May 1, the average stolen bases per game is 1.8, which is a jump up from last year (1.4) and 2021 (1.2) and the highest number since 2012. The stolen base success rate, 79.4 percent, is among the highest in recent baseball history.

If batting average is not important, why are SB numbers up? Seems to me you are risking an out and losing a baserunner if some dude is going to score you on a 3 run dinger anyway. Just curious.

Bigger bases + pitch timer (so pitcher can’t just continue to hold to throw off base runner’s timing) + pitchers only allowed 2 disengagements per plate appearance. After the 2nd they HAVE to record the out if they try again or else it’s a balk.

Yeah and I'm sure Blair helped Currie get access to Tony's personal cell number so he could make that first call. Big difference in heading up a coaching search and being involved with it while Currie runs the show though.

I'd gather Currie had specific candidates in mind and then his team each vetted one.

I don’t have many great things to say about Jon Currie. His idea of a football search was laughable. I have no doubt that he needed help. Another article I saw John Brice write mentions a half dozen coaches that he thought Currie would consider, and out of the blue, we hired Vitello. The article was pretty clear with how influential Debord was in the search, and his prior relationship helped. Debord was the baseball guy that Currie used. No issue with giving him a lot of credit.

I've only spearfished once. The guns were old and I didn't do well. Spearguns are illegal in the Bahamas so I did purchase an Hawaiian sling. I'll definitely reach out with questions.
Do not keep any killed fish near your body. They are Barracuda bait. If you stay under water after a fish kill, make sure you have a long line and bag to assure the fish are away from you. I saw a guy after he was accidentally hit by a barracuda due to the fish being close to his body. 150 stitches. I used to have my own spear gun, but would always get the fish out before any predators came.

Do not keep any killed fish near your body. They are Barracuda bait. If you stay under water after a fish kill, make sure you have a long line and bag to assure the fish are away from you. I saw a guy after he was accidentally hit by a barracuda due to the fish being close to his body. 150 stitches. I used to have my own spear gun, but would always get the fish out before any predators came.
Nonsense apex predators, such as bears, tigers, copperheads, sharks and barracudas put very little stock in smell of prey. I routinely keep shrimp, scallops, and mullet in my pockets while surf fishing, often stuffing them into my socks and under my hat - even loudly saying 'what?' whike thumping my chest.

My suggestion would be to have your spouse slap you before you enter the water. Fear will get you dead. Chum the water before you enter. Predators are lazy and only want an easy quarry.

Stolen bases are up bc the bases are 3 inches closer…. Teams are on pace to set the record for success rate.

MLB rule changes: 'Year of the Stolen Base' is already threatening to rewrite the record books

The stats that matter are OB% + slug % or OPS….. average is overrated….. in fact they don’t like ground ball hitters bc they turn into double plays far too often.
This seems like one of those psychological issues. "If you believe you can or can't, you're right." The three inches can't have made that much difference mathematically speaking, but the psychological encouragement where you now believe you're closer and more likely to be successful is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Reactions: drvenner
Bigger bases + pitch timer (so pitcher can’t just continue to hold to throw off base runner’s timing) + pitchers only allowed 2 disengagements per plate appearance. After the 2nd they HAVE to record the out if they try again or else it’s a balk.
I'll buy the other stuff. 3 inches closer on bases would not materially affect SB. Good context on the other stuff though, especially the ball part. That would make a huge difference in successful stolen bases.

Might not matter too much with the portal but kind of noteworthy that out of 20 high school signees, Kensucky has already lost 6 kids from their '22 class.

5 star Kinyata Goodwin
4 star WR Jordan Anthony
4 star DB Ja'Kobi Albert
3 star DB Andre Stewart
3 star DL Quentel Jones
3 star DL Tomiwa Durojaive

And that doesn't include the one wade twin who will never contribute, outside of throwing the three pick sixes in last years bowl game, because he isn't a QB and wasn't willing to listen to real football coaches like ours who tried to tell him so.

Hate to see it.

I don’t have many great things to say about Jon Currie. His idea of a football search was laughable. I have no doubt that he needed help. Another article I saw John Brice write mentions a half dozen coaches that he thought Currie would consider, and out of the blue, we hired Vitello. The article was pretty clear with how influential Debord was in the search, and his prior relationship helped. Debord was the baseball guy that Currie used. No issue with giving him a lot of credit.

I don't have any issue with that either, but the original post he was given all the credit. Didn't mention he worked with Currie or anyone else, just that he (Blair) "ran the coaching search." There is a very good chance Blair DeBord was the main guy. Serrano stepped down on May 17th and DeBord could have already been here working. But Missouri is overselling him because Tony V was a former player and is a successful hire in the SEC that Blair can take some credit for so I get it. But Currie was the AD so not giving him any credit is just BS imo.

Reactions: UTvol1fn
He almost came home today but there's a snafu with his hospice. They told me to take him to the hospital and said we wouldn't lose service. Well guess what happened? By the time, the hospital found a new one it was too late for the paperwork to go through and so they're keeping him another night.

And FWIW, nothing was wrong. Everything was wrong but the local tells me nope - he's perfect, just his liver. What's worse is that if they'd found something - anything - that would likely have stopped us from getting dropped. It's bad medicine for someone who suffers from a lot of confusion to have his care team switched up like this but bureaucracy overcomes what's right once again. Truthfully, hospices are serving as palliative care because palliative care has been cut to the bone (there's only one in the general area that actually does anything - the rest just use the word in their name but are in reality home health instead). And palliative matters because they do what hospice does but you can go to the hospital (they just pay for less) but like I said there's only one and they don't take our insurance so the best option is out.

Ugh, I'm worn out and frustrated. He was dressed and ready to go and I had to tell him I couldn't take him home. And I also got side eye from the CNA who was upset he took off on his own to the bathroom. She was all 'who cares for him at home?' I said, "I do" and she's all "I see.... well, he could fall..." and I'm thinking "oh honey, I caught every bit of your "I see." I was too tired to pick the fight, especially knowing he had another night. But I wanted to tell her 'when he's in here it's not my job to take care of him. it's yours.'

And it's true, the few days he spends in the hospital are the only time he isn't 100 percent my responsibility. Forgive me for enjoying a break in having to do all the hard work but because I still look young (nary a gray hair) and people take me for 30 at most I get treated like an irresponsible child.

Last edited:
He almost came home today but there's a snafu with his hospice. They told me to take him to the hospital and said we wouldn't lose service. Well guess what happened? By the time, the hospital found a new one it was too late for the paperwork to go through and so they're keeping him another night.

And FWIW, nothing was wrong. Everything was wrong but the local tells me nope - he's perfect, just his liver. What's worse is that if they'd found something - anything - that would likely have stopped us from getting dropped. It's bad medicine for someone who suffers from a lot of confusion to have his care team switched up like this but bureaucracy overcomes what's right once again. Truthfully, hospices are serving as palliative care because palliative care has been cut to the bone (there's only one in the general area that actually does anything - the rest just use the word in their name but are in reality home health instead). And palliative matters because they do what hospice does but you can go to the hospital (they just pay for less) but like I said there's only one and they don't take our insurance so the best option is out.

Ugh, I'm worn out and frustrated. He was dressed and ready to go and I had to tell him I couldn't take him home. And I also got side eye from the CNA who was upset he took off on his own to the bathroom. She was all 'who cares for him at home?' I said, "I do" and she's all "I see.... well, he could fall..." and I'm thinking "oh honey, I caught every bit of your "I see." I was too tired to pick the fight, especially knowing he had another night. But I wanted to tell her 'when he's in here it's not my job to take care of him. it's yours.'

And it's true, the few days he spends in the hospital are the only time he isn't 100 percent my responsibility. Forgive me for enjoying a break in having to do all the hard work but because I still look young (nary a gray hair) and people take me for 30 at most I get treated like an irresponsible child.
My heart breaks and aches for both of you. I work in healthcare and I’ve seen my share of caring hospice and CNA workers and those that don’t display any empathy for family members. On a personal note, I’d like to punch that CNA, and I’m a 59 year old female. People like her don’t need to be in healthcare. Doesn’t matter if she’s having a bad day or just a general as*hole. You always put yourself in the patient or family member’s place. 🙏.

I had barracuda following me after lobster harvest the last time I was here. Never aggressive but always in your rear view mirror. Spooky.

This seems like one of those psychological issues. "If you believe you can or can't, you're right." The three inches can't have made that much difference mathematically speaking, but the psychological encouragement where you now believe you're closer and more likely to be successful is a self fulfilling prophecy.
I’m not sure….. I know stolen bases are bang bang plays…. I read an article that stated that teams were going to test it out in spring training…. The percentages were up and it has carried over to the regular season.

Yep….. good points as well…. Bigger bases gives more area to slide into as well.

I was on campus when Currie was AD and I liked him. He was very personable, would run on campus in the mornings, super nice guy. He genuinely think he loved Knoxville and I think long-term he could've been a good AD. Not better than Danny White, but one of the better ADs.

He just absolutely flubbed the Shiano then Mike Leach football hiring. He should've listened to more input on fanbase acceptance of Schiano before making the offer. I think if he'd gone after Leach right away he wouldn't have been fired. Not everyone would have loved it, but I think it would've been fun.

I think the Barnes situation that Fulmer had to deal with wouldn't have happened that way. I think Currie would've had an easier time retaining Barnes and wouldn't have had to be commanded by Boyd to cut the check.

If and buts - all hindsight. I have no ill-will towards Currie because I think he's a genuinely good dude who just messed up the one thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back