Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whelp. . . we've made it almost all the way to July with entertaining postseason spring sports. I don't miss the time when it was only the lady Vols giving us anything to watch (though I do miss the Lady Vols dominating like they did for so long). I really don't miss the times when the brutal off-season stretch for a fan started with the last regular season football game with no bowl to look forward to.

I'm not sure who to give raises to, so I think a blanket raise for the entire athletic department is probably in order. We really have just over 2 months til kick-off and that can easily be filled in with horrendous dad jokes, copperhead hunts, the occasional commit, and laughing at teams who are not the Vols.

Tony will need to work the portal hard, but it'll be difficult to get any player LSU is interested in because millions are pumped into their baseball NIL. Our baseball NIL doesn't even come close. It baffles me where all the money is coming from. They're pushing football, basketball, and baseball for the men, and even dumping some crazy money into women's basketball. I guess I just had no idea how many generous megadonors LSU seems to have.
I live In Louisiana. I sat in the car and listened to the game last night on local radio. During the broadcast they had several commercials for their NIL collective. They were urging people to donate. Do we do the same thing on the TN radio networks? If not, we should be. Great way to reach a lot of fans

Reactions: DarthVol1
ESPN+: College football Future Power Rankings

Now it's time to rank college football's top 25 teams during the next three seasons.

i
1. Georgia Bulldogs
i
2. Alabama Crimson Tide
i
3. Ohio State Buckeyes
i
4. Michigan Wolverines
i
5. LSU Tigers
i
6. USC Trojans
i
7. Clemson Tigers
i
8. Penn State Nittany Lions

i
9. Tennessee Volunteers
2023 Future QB ranking: 8
2023 Future defense ranking: Not ranked
2023 Future offense ranking: 6
2022 Future team ranking: Not ranked

Scouting the Vols: The excitement is real on Rocky Top after an 11-2 season in which the Vols finished No. 6 in the polls. Coach Josh Heupel's challenge is to sustain success in the relentless SEC. Tennessee hasn't recorded consecutive 10-win seasons since 2003 and 2004, and last had back-to-back AP top-10 finishes in 1998 and 1999. Heupel's offense will always give the Vols a chance, though, as they rank second nationally in scoring during the past two seasons. The unit must overcome losing four players in the top 75 picks of the NFL draft, including record-setting quarterback Hendon Hooker. Joe Milton III is very talented and looked good in relief of Hooker late last season, but must show he can consistently perform as the starter. The Vols' post-2023 QB outlook is strong with Nico Iamaleava, ESPN's No. 4 pocket passer and No. 23 overall player in the 2023 class, and decorated 2024 commit Jake Merklinger. Bru McCoy is back at wide receiver, a position group that returns senior Ramel Keyton and sophomore Squirrel White, and also adds two ESPN top-160 recruits in Cameron Seldon and Nathan Leacock. The running back room is promising with Jaylen Wright, Jabari Small and Dylan Sampson. Offensive line has some short-term questions, but guards Cooper Mays and guard Javontez Spraggins are back, and Tennessee did well in the portal with Andrej Karic (Texas) and John Campbell Jr. (Miami). The Vols also boosted their tight end room with 2024 commit Jonathan Echols, ESPN's No. 39 overall player in the class.

How high Tennessee rises will depend on whether its defense makes the necessary personnel upgrades. The recent recruiting and portal gains are encouraging, as Tennessee signed six ESPN 300 defenders in the 2023 class, headlined by end Chandavian Bradley (ESPN's No. 84 overall). The Vols also added transfers such as linebacker Keenan Pili (BYU), cornerback Gabe Jeudy-Lally (BYU) and lineman Omarr Norman-Lott (Arizona State). Tennessee returns plenty of experience in the secondary, including safety Jaylen McCollough (38 career starts), safety/linebacker Tamarion McDonald and cornerbacks Doneiko Slaughter and Kamal Hadden. Leading tackler Aaron Beasley is back to lead the linebackers, which adds Pili but could soon lean on younger players, like ESPN 300 recruit Arion Carter. The Vols should be better up front, especially with Bradley, Caleb Herring (ESPN's No. 102 recruit) and others entering the mix. Tennessee will need more pass-rushers to emerge after losing Byron Young, although hopes are high for senior Tyler Baron, while veteran Roman Harrison adds depth. The interior is solid with junior Omari Thomas, Kansas transfer Da'Jon Terry and junior Bryson Eason.

i
10. Florida State Seminoles
11. Oregon Ducks
12. Oklahoma Sooners
13. Utah Utes
14. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
15. Texas Longhorns
16. Washington Huskies
17. TCU Horned Frogs
18. Kansas State Wildcats
19. Wisconsin Badgers
20. Iowa Hawkeyes
21. Oregon State Beavers
22. South Carolina Gamecocks
23. UCLA Bruins
24. Pittsburgh Panthers
25. Ole Miss Rebels

ESPN+: College football Future Power Rankings

Now it's time to rank college football's top 25 teams during the next three seasons.

i
1. Georgia Bulldogs
i
2. Alabama Crimson Tide
i
3. Ohio State Buckeyes
i
4. Michigan Wolverines
i
5. LSU Tigers
i
6. USC Trojans
i
7. Clemson Tigers
i
8. Penn State Nittany Lions

i
9. Tennessee Volunteers
2023 Future QB ranking: 8
2023 Future defense ranking: Not ranked
2023 Future offense ranking: 6
2022 Future team ranking: Not ranked

Scouting the Vols: The excitement is real on Rocky Top after an 11-2 season in which the Vols finished No. 6 in the polls. Coach Josh Heupel's challenge is to sustain success in the relentless SEC. Tennessee hasn't recorded consecutive 10-win seasons since 2003 and 2004, and last had back-to-back AP top-10 finishes in 1998 and 1999. Heupel's offense will always give the Vols a chance, though, as they rank second nationally in scoring during the past two seasons. The unit must overcome losing four players in the top 75 picks of the NFL draft, including record-setting quarterback Hendon Hooker. Joe Milton III is very talented and looked good in relief of Hooker late last season, but must show he can consistently perform as the starter. The Vols' post-2023 QB outlook is strong with Nico Iamaleava, ESPN's No. 4 pocket passer and No. 23 overall player in the 2023 class, and decorated 2024 commit Jake Merklinger. Bru McCoy is back at wide receiver, a position group that returns senior Ramel Keyton and sophomore Squirrel White, and also adds two ESPN top-160 recruits in Cameron Seldon and Nathan Leacock. The running back room is promising with Jaylen Wright, Jabari Small and Dylan Sampson. Offensive line has some short-term questions, but guards Cooper Mays and guard Javontez Spraggins are back, and Tennessee did well in the portal with Andrej Karic (Texas) and John Campbell Jr. (Miami). The Vols also boosted their tight end room with 2024 commit Jonathan Echols, ESPN's No. 39 overall player in the class.

How high Tennessee rises will depend on whether its defense makes the necessary personnel upgrades. The recent recruiting and portal gains are encouraging, as Tennessee signed six ESPN 300 defenders in the 2023 class, headlined by end Chandavian Bradley (ESPN's No. 84 overall). The Vols also added transfers such as linebacker Keenan Pili (BYU), cornerback Gabe Jeudy-Lally (BYU) and lineman Omarr Norman-Lott (Arizona State). Tennessee returns plenty of experience in the secondary, including safety Jaylen McCollough (38 career starts), safety/linebacker Tamarion McDonald and cornerbacks Doneiko Slaughter and Kamal Hadden. Leading tackler Aaron Beasley is back to lead the linebackers, which adds Pili but could soon lean on younger players, like ESPN 300 recruit Arion Carter. The Vols should be better up front, especially with Bradley, Caleb Herring (ESPN's No. 102 recruit) and others entering the mix. Tennessee will need more pass-rushers to emerge after losing Byron Young, although hopes are high for senior Tyler Baron, while veteran Roman Harrison adds depth. The interior is solid with junior Omari Thomas, Kansas transfer Da'Jon Terry and junior Bryson Eason.

i
10. Florida State Seminoles
11. Oregon Ducks
12. Oklahoma Sooners
13. Utah Utes
14. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
15. Texas Longhorns
16. Washington Huskies
17. TCU Horned Frogs
18. Kansas State Wildcats
19. Wisconsin Badgers
20. Iowa Hawkeyes
21. Oregon State Beavers
22. South Carolina Gamecocks
23. UCLA Bruins
24. Pittsburgh Panthers
25. Ole Miss Rebels
Criminal they (espn) had nico a distant 4th ranked qb in the ‘23 class.

BaseVOLs players that are eligible to enter draft (3 years removed from HS)

Gr. Griffin Merritt (OF/DH)
Gr. Camden Sewell (RHP)
Sr. Chistian Scott (OF)
Sr. Kirby Connell (RHP) returning as a grad student
Sr. Zane Denton (3B)
R-Jr. Tommy Wilcox (RHP)
R-Jr. Seth Halvorsen (RHP)
Jr. Maui Ahuna (SS)
Jr. Kyle Booker (OF)
Jr. Logan Chambers (UTL)
Jr. Chase Dollander (RHP)
Jr. Ethan Payne (UTL)
Jr. Bryce Jenkins (RHP)
Jr. Jacob Bimbi (LHP)
Jr. Andrew Lindsey (RHP)
Jr. Cal Stark (C)
Jr. Hollis Fanning (RHP)
Jr. Zach Joyce (RHP)
Jr. Zander Sechrist (LHP)
R-So. Austen Jaslove (INF)
R-So. Hunter Ensley (OF)
R-So. Charlie Taylor (C)
R-So. Jared Dickey (OF/C)
R-So. Ryan Miller (C)
R-So. Aaron Combs (RHP)
R-So. Colby Backus (OF)
R-So. Jake Fitzgibbons (LHP)

Bold are the guys that were starting.

Starters assumed to be returning not listed above. (they'd have to hit portal to leave)
So. Blake Burke (1B)
So. Christian Moore (2B)
So. Chase Burns (RHP)
So. Drew Beam (RHP)

The guys I figure have the best shot to become starters next year.

In the Outfield, Scott and Griffin are both gone so one spot will be open and Hunter/Dickey are both eligible for the draft as well if either decide to try their luck.

Jr. Kyle Booker (OF) only saw 12 starts this year and had 55 at bats, but will be a 4th year player with 84 games under his belt and 30 total starts
Fr. Dylan Dreiling (OF) managed 24 starts this year and had 95 total at bats
Fr. Kavares Tears (OF/1B) managed 14 stars this year and had 56 total at bats

In the Infield, Maui and Denton both are gone.

Fr. Jake Kendro (INF) managed 7 starts and 32 at bats.
Fr. Kavares Tears (OF/1B) could he play 3B or Burke be moved? I think he's a talented enough player that if not playing in the OF he'll be starting somewhere either in the infield or as a DH.

Gr. Camden Sewell (RHP)
Sr. Chistian Scott (OF)
Sr. Zane Denton (3B)
R-Jr. Tommy Wilcox (RHP)
Jr. Maui Ahuna (SS)
Jr. Kyle Booker (OF)
Jr. Logan Chambers (UTL)
Jr. Ethan Payne (UTL)
Jr. Bryce Jenkins (RHP)
Jr. Jacob Bimbi (LHP)
Jr. Andrew Lindsey (RHP)
Jr. Cal Stark (C)

Jr. Hollis Fanning (RHP)
Jr. Zach Joyce (RHP)
R-So. Hunter Ensley (OF)
R-So. Charlie Taylor (C)
R-So. Ryan Miller (C)
R-So. Aaron Combs (RHP)
R-So. Colby Backus (OF)

Starters assumed to be returning not listed above. (they'd have to hit portal to leave)
So. Blake Burke (1B)
So. Christian Moore (2B)
So. Chase Burns (RHP)
So. Drew Beam (RHP)

In the Outfield, Scott and Griffin are both gone so one spot will be open and Hunter/Dickey are both eligible for the draft as well if either decide to try their luck.

Jr. Kyle Booker (OF) only saw 12 starts this year and had 55 at bats, but will be a 4th year player with 84 games under his belt and 30 total starts

Fr. Kavares Tears (OF/1B) could he play 3B or Burke be moved? I think he's a talented enough player that if not playing in the OF he'll be starting somewhere either in the infield or as a DH.

Catcher - transfer
1B - Tears
2nd - CM
3rd - Transfer
SS - Transfer
OF- Ensley/Booker/Dreiling
DH - Burke

Calling it

Receipts

Good ones, this time. Nice to see reasonable posters showing love for this team who truly deserves it. GBO!!!
Yup. I'm bummed because of all the mistakes... But all in all great season and plenty still to look forward to. GBO🍊
Proud of this team. They fought to get better the whole year. Started terrible and still made the World Series.
Still a great year. Learn from this, come back strong again next year.
LSU is a good team, no shame in losing to them.

Team got some good experience in Omaha, should have a great team and more hunger next year.
I think people forget that we were on track to not make a regional before the Vandy series. Another CWS trip; another successful season.
Good season
Need some big hitters for next year
Team keeps getting better
Can’t wait for next season
On to football
Great season by the BaseVols!! Look forward to seeing them back in Omaha next year!
Agree. Overachieved considering everything. They fought hard. Love this team.
Proud of these guys. Great season. Vitello will build on this.
After game 2 against Grand Canyon, some said the season was over.
Great season after the way they started. Hit the portal hard to find the right pieces. Need a catcher that can hit.
By far the best all around UT sports year I can remember. Let’s start it again in 2 months.
Good year, boys. Got some things that need fixing lineup wise for next year but the team overachieved and Omaha + 1 win is nothing to sneeze at.
Hell of a season for the BaseVols
I'm really proud of the baseVols. Great season. Anyone who has been following since the Arizona trip knows these guys came a long way, pulled together, got a CWS win. Proud of them.

Appreciate that this BaseVols team had me yelling for the Vols in June. Looking forward to football season (and basketball season and baseball season).

Shifting gears slightly because it came up in the thread earlier today. I’ve heard “sidewalk alum” a few times in here and in random conversations, and I think that’s what folks would consider me.

I’m a sidewalk alum. I didn’t go to UT, but I am passionate about UT sports.

To be honest, I don’t really care about the school. Couldn’t give a sh!t about who got a degree from there.

If my kids go to UT, great, I’ll care about the school. But right now, I care about the sports.

I grew up in rural TN, with no pro sports teams to cheer for. My first fandom was the Vols. I will always be a Vol.

If I’m misunderstanding the “sidewalk alum” definition, help me out.
I went to Tennessee, but I think fans are fans, wherever or however it got started. If you support my team, we're good.

Gr. Camden Sewell (RHP)
Sr. Chistian Scott (OF)
Sr. Zane Denton (3B)
R-Jr. Tommy Wilcox (RHP)
Jr. Maui Ahuna (SS)
Jr. Kyle Booker (OF)
Jr. Logan Chambers (UTL)
Jr. Ethan Payne (UTL)
Jr. Bryce Jenkins (RHP)
Jr. Jacob Bimbi (LHP)
Jr. Andrew Lindsey (RHP)
Jr. Cal Stark (C)

Jr. Hollis Fanning (RHP)
Jr. Zach Joyce (RHP)
R-So. Hunter Ensley (OF)
R-So. Charlie Taylor (C)
R-So. Ryan Miller (C)
R-So. Aaron Combs (RHP)
R-So. Colby Backus (OF)

So. Blake Burke (1B)
So. Christian Moore (2B)
So. Chase Burns (RHP)
So. Drew Beam (RHP)

I know Zane could come back with the covid year just a matter of if he wants to/NIL could persuade him to.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I think the baseball team will see a lot of turnover and it will be a good thing.

Loved this team but the defensive infield was not as solid as it needed to be.

I know we have some really solid recruiting classes coming in so hopefully we hit on a few and bring in a couple of great portal guys.

Reactions: Vols4us
Catcher - transfer
1B - Tears
2nd - CM
3rd - Transfer
SS - Transfer
OF- Ensley/Booker/Dreiling
DH - Burke

Calling it

Highly doubt we bring in 4 transfers I think Catcher is least likely to get replaced. If Cal can improve his batting he’s going to be hard to start over. Charlie could also take over there if he continues to grow.

Not sure why you wanna take Burke off the bag to just DH…I thought he did pretty good at 1st, I’d rather see Tears moved to 3rd personally.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Highly doubt we bring in 4 transfers I think Catcher is least likely to get replaced. If Cal can improve his batting he’s going to be hard to start over. Charlie could also take over there if he continues to grow.

Not sure why you wanna take Burke off the bag to just DH…I thought he did pretty good at 1st, I’d rather see Tears moved to 3rd personally.
Tears is a lefty though

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back