Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it, but I think we run up 5-10x this amount if last year's team went to Omaha.

Nobody was beating LSU because they are LSU and because they wanted to show-up Ole Miss. And now nobody will beat them because that's a ridiculous amount of jello shots

in our defense, the song doesn't talk about people coming to rocky top for jello shots...

There is a correlation to how smart the fan base is to how little Jell-O shots were consumed.

An Elite Defense –

If we can cut 5 points per game on average off of our defensive scoring from 2022 we would qualify as an elite defense, i.e., a top 10 scoring defense in the national FBS rankings.

The total number of points we’re looking for is 5 ppg X 13 games = 65 points. We gave up 296 points in all for 2022 and we need to see how we can reduce that to 231.

There were 4 SEC teams that shut out their FCS opponent in 2022, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, and Texas A&M. In 2021 there were 3 SEC teams that shut out their FCS opponent, Tennessee, Auburn, and South Carolina. In 2019 there were 5 teams that shut out their FCS opponent, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. In 2018 Georgia and LSU both shut out their FCS opponent. In 2022 we gave up 24 points to FCS Tennessee-Martin. So 296 – 24 = 272.

South Carolina’s offensive scoring average against their 7 SEC opponents not named Tennessee (@ AR, UGA, @ UK, A&M, MO, @ VU, @ UF) was fractionally less than 21 points per game. We gave them 42 more points than their SEC average. So 272 – 42 = 230.

There you go. An elite defense. We had it all along and just didn’t cash in. jmo.

The thing is a top 10 scoring defense changes the narrative about our defense and may make it even more attractive to elite prospects we are trying to recruit. jmo.

These are my unit and game grades for 2022 based on points per possession by each team. Based on net points per possession we finished 3rd in the nation behind Georgia and Michigan and ahead of Ohio State and Alabama, in that order, i.e. even with our couple of shortcomings we were arguably still the 3rd best team in the nation in 2022. jmo.

ScreenHunter 1142.png

Our defense on the whole improved significantly last year and now we really don’t have that far to go to enter the elite ranks on that side of the ball. jmo.

ScreenHunter 1143.png

It really is crazy how much Tony Vols has made TN fans care about Baseball. 2019 I couldn’t name 1 damn player. Also ESPN Plus has changed everything being able to watch every game. We are putting almost $100 Million into Baseball Facilities. If you told me that was going to happen in 2019 I would have said you have lost your damn mind.

An Elite Defense –

If we can cut 5 points per game on average off of our defensive scoring from 2022 we would qualify as an elite defense, i.e., a top 10 scoring defense in the national FBS rankings.

The total number of points we’re looking for is 5 ppg X 13 games = 65 points. We gave up 296 points in all for 2022 and we need to see how we can reduce that to 231.

There were 4 SEC teams that shut out their FCS opponent in 2022, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, and Texas A&M. In 2021 there were 3 SEC teams that shut out their FCS opponent, Tennessee, Auburn, and South Carolina. In 2019 there were 5 teams that shut out their FCS opponent, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. In 2018 Georgia and LSU both shut out their FCS opponent. In 2022 we gave up 24 points to FCS Tennessee-Martin. So 296 – 24 = 272.

South Carolina’s offensive scoring average against their 7 SEC opponents not named Tennessee (@ AR, UGA, @ UK, A&M, MO, @ VU, @ UF) was fractionally less than 21 points per game. We gave them 42 more points than their SEC average. So 272 – 42 = 230.

There you go. An elite defense. We had it all along and just didn’t cash in. jmo.

The thing is a top 10 scoring defense changes the narrative about our defense and may make it even more attractive to elite prospects we are trying to recruit. jmo.

These are my unit and game grades for 2022 based on points per possession by each team. Based on net points per possession we finished 3rd in the nation behind Georgia and Michigan and ahead of Ohio State and Alabama, in that order, i.e. even with our couple of shortcomings we were arguably still the 3rd best team in the nation in 2022. jmo.

View attachment 559563

Our defense on the whole improved significantly last year and now we really don’t have that far to go to enter the elite ranks on that side of the ball. jmo.

View attachment 559564
Exhibit B about us not doing as many Jell-O shots in Omaha. We are smarter than the majority of schools there. Stanford and Virginia are the only schools that did less shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back