Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The give him 6 moment gave me goosebumps. Miss that guy. I was 14 when he retired. Didn't fully appreciate what we had until what came after.
I’m so sorry for you and any Vol fan that didn’t get to listen to John calling the games. I’ve told this story many times. I remember my dad taking us to the Great Smoky Mountains on a crisp fall day in East Tennessee and dad having the game on the radio and I was lucky enough to snag the front seat from my siblings. I was 9 years old and knew nothing about Tennessee football. I remember the feel of the sun on my face through the windshield, the smells and John calling the game, I was hooked. No kidding, I became a fan right then. I believe Bill Battle was the coach. I feel sadness when I hear a fan never got to hear him in real time. It was like you were there.

National Champions since 2015 and their roster ranking for that season per 247
2015) Alabama 1st
2016) Clemson 9th
2017) Alabama 1st
2018) Clemson 6th
2019) LSU 5th
2020) Alabama 2nd
2021) Georgia 2nd
2022) Georgia 2nd
Tennessee cracking the top 10 in recruiting back to back years is huge. We have a great staff developing players. Combined with top 10 roster a year or two down the line and the Vols have a shot at a National Championship
Better have an ELITE offense and a really solid D... or have the best talent on the planet.

We are nearing the former, at least.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I’m so sorry for you and any Vol fan that didn’t get to listen to John calling the games. I’ve told this story many times. I remember my dad taking us to the Great Smoky Mountains on a crisp fall day in East Tennessee and dad having the game on the radio and I was lucky enough to snag the front seat from my siblings. I was 9 years old and knew nothing about Tennessee football. I remember the feel of the sun on my face through the windshield, the smells and John calling the game, I was hooked. No kidding, I became a fan right then. I believe Bill Battle was the coach. I feel sadness when I hear a fan never got to hear him in real time. It was like you were there.
I remember listening to Tennessee lose to that proven cheater Galen Hall and the great Emmitt Smith (although I hated the Gators and the Cowboys, but I recognize ballers) at Heritage Days in Rogersville, TN. Wasn't the first time, I was 14ish, but the same kind a scenario. Listening with my uncles, they all did a John Ward impression and loved him, the sun, the little fall in the leaves, the smells, kinda like a fair, beautiful moment in the life of a Vols' fan, if only we had won. Still won the SEC and busted Miami's ass in the Sugar Bowl. Tony Robinson and Tim McGee was the Hooker-Hyatt combination of '85. Thank you for reminding me of that memory, been a minute

Stealing this. Now...just have to remember in 30-40 years lmao
My Dad jokes that he couldn’t tell his coworkers at the hospital what his granddaughters call him because they’d never let it go, so he told said coworkers instead that his grandchildren can call him “Dr. [Last Name]” or “Michael.”

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Dang... Y'all been at it all day. 🙄
How has Glitch not TWSS yet??

tenor.gif

If I ever have grandchildren, I want them to call me Granddude

I used to have a bunch of voices and alternate personalities for putting my kids to bed. One of my favorites was Chicken. He spoke only chicken language but could understand English. He still show up every now and then. I have told my girls that if they have kids, my grandfather name is going to be PaPa Chicken.

PSA:

If there's anyone in here that rides motorcycles and looking for a seat cover, I know a place that can hook you up. I got one for my bike and I love it. I've got arthritis in my lower back and the pad has really helped me from getting sore. It's also kept my seat from getting hot and my butt from getting "swampy"....(you riders know what I mean). Anyways, their customer service was fantastic and I wanted to post their website for anyone interested in a seat cover.

Home of the Sheepskin Buttpad
20230714_123330.jpg
20230714_124036.jpg

Last edited:
I remember listening to Tennessee lose to that proven cheater Galen Hall and the great Emmitt Smith (although I hated the Gators and the Cowboys, but I recognize ballers) at Heritage Days in Rogersville, TN. Wasn't the first time, I was 14ish, but the same kind a scenario. Listening with my uncles, they all did a John Ward impression and loved him, the sun, the little fall in the leaves, the smells, kinda like a fair, beautiful moment in the life of a Vols' fan, if only we had won. Still won the SEC and busted Miami's ass in the Sugar Bowl. Tony Robinson and Tim McGee was the Hooker-Hyatt combination of '85. Thank you for reminding me of that memory, been a minute
I remember the Sugar Bowl fondly. Unfortunately, I lived in Jamaica and only came back here for that game and only got to hear it on the radio, but I felt like I was there. I remember when it started I had dread. Us against the mighty Miami.

I remember the Sugar Bowl fondly. Unfortunately, I lived in Jamaica and only came back here for that game and only got to hear it on the radio, but I felt like I was there. I remember when it started I had dread. Us against the mighty Miami.
You really sold all the way out when you moved to Jamaica, huh? How long were your dreads?

Last edited:
More notes and opinions from this offseason as we approach fall camp.

Brandon Walker of Barstool Sports, reviewing his top 10 coaches in CFB for 2023:

"My number 8 coach is Josh Heupel, head coach for Tennessee.

People get caught up when they talk about quarterbacks. Hendon Hooker, Hendon Hooker, Hendon Hooker. Joe Milton this year, then Nico. The star of Tennessee's offense was not Hendon Hooker and it was not Jalin Hyatt, the star of that offense is Josh Heupel's brain. That offense is uniquely designed to make defenders make split decisions 20 yards down the field. Now, you have to have QBs to know when and where to deliver the ball, and you have to have WRs that can get to that spot, but you see more wide open WRs in one Tennessee game than you'll see in five total other games on any Saturday. He knows how to get WRs open ALL THE TIME. He knows how to get WRs open down the field all the time.

Josh Heupel can coach his ass off. And it's weird because when he got hired, nobody really got excited. Nobody thought they were adding at top 10 coach, nobody thought they were going to get to number 1 in his second year, but he's done it.

Josh Heupel is easily a top 10 coach this year in college football, and he's number 8 on my list this year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back