Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the 98 Florida game on secn… I was only 5 when it was played.

Hate that I missed this last night. I had it on VHS for years. This was the greatest game I ever attended. Spurrier and Florida had beat our butts 5 years straight and shut out Peyton. Al Wilson was not going to allow himself to suffer that same fate.

When we played UF during that stretch in the mid-90’s it was like you were just waiting for the bomb to go off and they would pull away. When Shawn Bryson broke that long TD run in the second quarter it just felt like things were going to be different that night. It was the loudest I had ever heard in Neyland, the sound when Florida had the ball was like a physical thing that you could reach out and touch as it surrounded you. There was so much pent up frustration that night that all got released with the win.

I didn’t attend the Bama win last year but I imagine it was a similar experience. I’m happy a new generation got to experience what Tennessee Football can be.

1st Vols game: 2006 in Knoxville vs Kentucky. Vols won 17-12 in a relative snooze-nooner. I remember Justin Harrell was a senior with a torn bicep. Played in the game. They retired his number during the game for Albert Haynesworth (92).
2nd Vols game: Wyoming....
3rd Vols game: 2012 College Gameday against Florida....
4th Vols game: Pig Howards OT fumble vs Georgia
5th Vols game: Palardy game winner against ranked South Carolina.

Then 4 years of being a student going to every game, couple away games and bowl games.

In Hawaii, it's illegal to laugh out loud.
You have to keep it to a low ha.
1f923.png
1f923.png

My 1st game attending was in 1978 or '79. Can't remember. I believe it was either against Georgia Tech or Vandy. Believe I was 18. But was a diehard fan waaaay before that from just listening to Ward and Anderson on the radio while outside doing chores. Eventually was able to attend 56 games in person before I ever saw them lose. Will never forget that game. It was a Sat. night game against Duke coached by Spurrier.
So what I'm reading is you're the reason Tennessee never did well against Spurrier

Oct 8, 1983 was my first game in person. Beat LSU 20 to 6. Alan Cockrell ran for a like a 50+ yard touchdown. It took what seemed like 2 minutes, he was so slow. I was 19. Bought 2 tickets on the strip and got in to find out the tickets had been stolen. Guy had the UT police come when we showed up for the seats. Convinced them we bought them from a scalper. Went back outside and bought 2 more after game had started for 5 bucks. Good times.

Last edited:
How in tarnation did you remember that?
When I first arrived in DFW, a local channel would run Columbo episodes…that episode was one they ran frequently. Everyman favorite Dick Van Dyke playing a murderer against type is the modern equivalent of Tom Hanks playing a serial killer. This is 95, so way before smart phones. Remembered watching Isis as a kid yet didn’t make the connection to the goddess on Columbo. Went in a rabbit hole looking up Columbo fun facts at 3 in the morning (my wife knows what’s happening if she wakes up and I’m missing), and finally solved the case. 😉

So if you’re 16 in 30 years you would be 46, and in 40 you would be 56. I hope you’re not planning on having grandkids at 76!
Look I’ve had the flu for 3 days now, so don’t you go using your logic and math and gypsy tears against my vulnerable childlike brain rn 😅

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back