Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Vol game was 2004 Vs Florida where we broke the Attendance record in Neyland with alittle over 109,000 people, I was 11 then. 2nd game (first away game) was the next year at LSU where they threw a whiskey bottle from above me and hit me in the back of the head/shoulder. Not good!

when I think of Butch I think:

Georgia win
Losing the SEC
Dip
Watches
Car wash
Trash can
I think:

Astrodobbs and jalen Hurd
Hail Mary
Ducks Pull Trucks
4 Qtrs 17 points
“Campions of Life”
Kicked out of bar: Texas A&M game
Great Marketing, Terrible Development
Butch: Buzz Cut and Bricks
Trash Can
Injuries
Complete Collapse and Disappointment

First Vol game was 2004 Vs Florida where we broke the Attendance record in Neyland with alittle over 109,000 people, I was 11 then. 2nd game (first away game) was the next year at LSU where they threw a whiskey bottle from above me and hit me in the back of the head/shoulder. Not good!
At least it wasn’t a mustard bottle or a golf ball, those apparently cause serious damage according to the national media 😂

when I think of Butch I think:

Georgia win
Losing the SEC
Dip
Watches
Car wash
Trash can

Unemployment Lady: And your reason for being out of work, Mr. Jones?
Butch: I sucked at being a head coach, so they fired me but didn't give me a big enough buy out to keep me going.
Unemployment Lady: Well, we don't just give out money, Mr. Jones. First we need some information.
Butch: I'd like to talk to your supervisor, please.
Unemployment Lady: I am the supervisor.
Butch: And, may I say, doing a fantastic job.

... Saban enters room.

Saban: Are you taking care of my bad boy over there?
Butch: No, she's being quite obstinate about this whole situation. I'm getting nothing!

Unemployment Lady: Well, unfortunately, Mr. Jones doesn't qualify for unemployment because he's never had a job.
Saban: Oh well, didn't he tell you about the job he was doing for me?
Unemployment Lady: No, what job?
Saban: You didn't tell her?

Butch: No-no, not specifically, I-I-uh...

Unemployment Lady: Well, that's important information, Mr. Jones. You working for Nick Saban makes you an employee.
Butch: Oh, I forgot.

Unemployment Lady: Well, what were your duties?
Butch: Well, I was in more of a consulting position.
Saban: Oh! No, no, no, no, no. It was not a consulting position, he was my assistant, he was like my little guy Friday. He would fetch things for me, I'd tell him where to go and he'd go running off, and fetching things for me. What were some of the things you fetched? You fetched like, uh-
Butch: Coffee.
Saban: Coffee, you'd get that. And sometimes you'd have to-
Butch: Get a hankie.
Saban: No, you'd pick up, you know-
Butch: Cleaning, his dry cleaning.
Saban: Yeah, you'd have to do that, and then.
Butch: Just when he didn't have time.
Saban: How about these guys down there, those are boots.
Butch: Nothing with the boots, I don't think there was-
Saban: Oh, there was something with the boots.
Butch: Polish them every once in a while.
Saban: Every now and then, he had to do that, too. He was a hell of a worker and I really, really needed him, because you know how busy I can get. But I had to can him!!

... Butch gets an unemployment check and Saban gives him a ride back home ...

Butch: Anyway, I appreciate what you've done, Nick, I really do, I'm-
Saban: Don't you worry about it, Butch, I'm happy to do it. Why don't you just get me a little wiper fluid, and we'll call it even, okay?
Butch: Okay, wiper fluid, you got it.
Saban: And also maybe a Kleenex caddy? I've always wanted one of those.
Butch: That's funny.
Saban: It is, but I'm not joking.
Butch: All right, one Kleenex caddy, and wiper fluid.

Last edited:
But how many marijuanas have you been able to produce?
Funny but true story. Back in '79 or '80, my 1st cousin was building a new house a few miles south of Lebanon. As he was starting to move in, I was tasked with moving some items and placing them in the crawl space. I noticed a cardboard box approx 12" square and 8-10" deep sitting next to the foundation and knew it must have been left there by the construction crew. I retrieved the box and, lo and behold to my surprise, it was practically full of marijuana. My cuz, who didn't ever partake was pondering calling the sherrif's dept but I talked him out of it and convinced him that I would take care of it, which I did................................

I don't remember the actual first game I attended. The first game I specifically remember attending was '98 Florida. Nose bleeds, right under the 'V'. Terrible seats, but gave me the distinction of knowing that we won the game a fraction of a second before the rest of the stadium...my view was right over the left upright of the goal post. Watching the UF kick sail left was glorious, and then watching the goal posts floating around on the orange pond was even more so.

We used to covet the back wheels for making homemade gocarts. As soon as that front wheel busted on someone's sibling's Big Wheel, we were all over it. You have not lived until you ride down a hill on a 2x6 with a plywood seat, 4 big wheel tires and a rope to steer. Tore up that a$$ a time or 2.

We used to covet the back wheels for making homemade gocarts. As soon as that front wheel busted on someone's sibling's Big Wheel, we were all over it. You have not lived until you ride down a hill on a 2x6 with a plywood seat, 4 big wheel tires and a rope to steer. Tore up that a$$ a time or 2.
Like a Bulger ??

When I first arrived in DFW, a local channel would run Columbo episodes…that episode was one they ran frequently. Everyman favorite Dick Van Dyke playing a murderer against type is the modern equivalent of Tom Hanks playing a serial killer. This is 95, so way before smart phones. Remembered watching Isis as a kid yet didn’t make the connection to the goddess on Columbo. Went in a rabbit hole looking up Columbo fun facts at 3 in the morning (my wife knows what’s happening if she wakes up and I’m missing), and finally solved the case. 😉
Colerdno

Reactions: knoxvol52
The same place I always go with recruiting. I leave it to our coaching staff. They are looking for players who have a certain set of attributes from physical, IQ, personality, leadership, etc.

Not all of the top rated commits fit their profile nor do they fit the culture.
I absolutely trust this group to get their players. They want to succeed as much as we want them to succeed.
I’ve never been this relaxed about recruiting.

Did that many times with whatever collected wheels could be mismatched. 😂 Biggest hill we could find. Solid gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back