Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're winning a, as @bignewt & @Jackcrevol say, "natty" this year 👀

@bignewt and I often disagree on things, however, we are both firmly in the camp that hates that "abbreviation".

FoolishCompassionateHeifer-size_restricted.gif

Levis looking good.

I thought Joe vs Vandy > Stroud vs Northwestern, but I am glad the numbers back me up.

Also per that Vandy game, what people seems to fail to realize is those bombs into the wind and rain (you could see some of them hang up and blow around) was an essential part of the attack. Look at all the long rushing TDs we piled on because Vandy couldn't dare stack the box even in "unthrowable" weather. We kept the long ball threat in play in a quasi-typhoon. 😂
Both games had terrible weather, that NW OSU game had 50MPH winds or more. Can’t remember if it snowed or not as well but possible. Tennessee Vanderbilt game conditions weren’t too much better either. Both set up for old fashioned football

I think some people are forgetting we’re switching clock rules this season. Clock will keep running after plays. That’ll naturally lower possessions and scores… by how much on average? Idk

Reactions: ugg
Really appreciate this info. No question Joe has ALL the physical tools to achieve a lot of goals. Some guys just have game instincts, some process experiences through film study, some seem to only grow with their own experiences. Don't have a clue if he has from any of the sources developed the abiltity to read live play and react to tevel HH did. He can chunk it long, he can drill it into tighter windows than most humans, long outs are not a problem. Does he do the right things at the right times? You have to be agenda driven to have any answer that question. Not enough data available to make an ntelligent analysis. We al have to sit back and wait. Some will hope for success, some for failure...... just the way it is.
In other words, pretty much the same as it was for Peyton the first year he started the whole season. I see what you mean.

Seriously, no one can predict the future. To raise a negative possibility and then say "we have to wait see" could be said about anyone, even people who played well last year like Joe did, and even starters on other teams. Since it applies in all cases, it just seems like a weird preoccupation when people want to single out Joe for this treatment.

I think you need to get behind the view that Harbaugh ruined Milton and that Heupel has fixed him, and he's going to the NFL. QB U.

This is the bed the NCAA made. It had a ton of respect and political capital 30-40 years ago; back then, no lawmakers would dare speak out against it, much less draft legislation thumbing it in the eye, no matter what the potential benefit to in-state schools.

But it has squandered all of that. The NCAA has become an out-of-touch, corrupt punchline that everyone believes is diametrically opposed to the best interest of the student-athletes. And any time it has a chance to rebuild some goodwill with those athletes, the schools, or the public, it, without fail, chooses some course of action that digs itself even further into the hole it’s spent the last near-half-century digging.

I have no sympathy for them. College sports needs new governance. And if state legislators can score some cheap political points throwing dirt on the AA’s grave, more power to them.

I think the dam has been chipped away at for 100 years and is finally leaking but I don't think people ever had that much respect for the NCAA. It's like loving the IRS - just not gonna happen.

The real change though happened because of ESPN. They and the broader sports media started parroting agents arguments over NCAA arguments and that turned public perception. And so now we serve the interests of agents and even of broadcasters who all benefit from a less regulated system.

You can't have "rules" that break state law. Maybe it's the NCAA who should adjust their rules to not be in direct conflict with states. Being they're so benign and voluntary and all.

They are making laws so that the rules break them.

I'm guessing it sets @bignewt off because it is the old widespread slang for Natural Light beer, in addition to other considerations. Cf. "Our team is going to go out an get a Milwaukee's Best this year." 😂
Natty comes in several more flavors since the days of its original 'yak piss' flavor.

@bignewt will love the strawberry creamsicle flavored Natural Light.

I think some people are forgetting we’re switching clock rules this season. Clock will keep running after plays. That’ll naturally lower possessions and scores… by how much on average? Idk

I think that's a change that can benefit us because we run plays faster while hurting those who are slower. If left in place it will probably speed up the game but the real change they need is fewer commercials. Overall though, I don't like that change at all. Didn't they do it once before? I like the chess match of time. It adds to the excitement of the game.

I know we have Joe and Nico this season but really that’s our only QBs. Gaston is here but we are one injury away from being very thin there. You think we take a portal player after this season? Seems more likely than adding a QB this class with Merklinger committed. We need some better depth there imo.

I don't like the idea of states telling a governing body they can't govern the very thing those involved joined up for. The NCAA is voluntary and we all agreed to be governed by their rules. State legislators trying to tip the scales in favor of teams that reside within their borders is a political winner for them (everyone hates the NCAA and loves their own team) but it's wrong. If states can do this then there's no point to any nationwide regulatory body at all. College athletics would have to be regulated the way boxing is and that's deeply problematic. (Not to mention there's a big difference between setting up a single fight between 2 participants and the countless teams and events conferences and the NCAA are setting up).

If you join an org like the NCAA or the SEC or BIG10 or what have you, you should have to abide by the same rules everyone else abides by. Otherwise, go form your own governing body. But I don't think college athletics can withstand each state telling the governing body - sorry rules don't apply. That's bs.
The NCAA is extremely crooked, and exactly what everyone is upset about is that their favorites "should have to abide by the same rules everyone else abides by," but they never have and never will. Everyone sees through them. There is no moral obligation. All the "should" talk is moral obligation.

The greater issue is that there is no possible regulatory body that can be trusted. Not the NCAA, not the Birmingham office, and least all Congress or the diktats called executive orders.

The whole Sabey/Kirby propaganda, noised abroad by the sychophant and click-hungry media, about needing regulation is just an attempt to restore that ancien regime. No thanks. Doing nothing at all is better than crooked enforcement. If the NCAA investigates Sabey and requires him to forfeit all games and titles since his first recruiting class, I'm up for a second look.

Last edited:
You know, FSU was already invited to join the SEC at peak Bobby Bowden -- the best teams in FSU history. And FSU said No, the SEC schedule is too hard. We have a better shot at the national championship in this little ACC league! For you young'uns, that's a true story.
The difference is that now they will be missing out on major $$$.

At the end of the day, potential revenue will beat out potential W&L’s

I know we have Joe and Nico this season but really that’s our only QBs. Gaston is here but we are one injury away from being very thin there. You think we take a portal player after this season? Seems more likely than adding a QB this class with Merklinger committed. We need some better depth there imo.
Name me a college team that wouldn't be in trouble if they are forced to play the #3 QB on their depth chart. Hell, for that matter, you can even include NFL teams in your answer.

I don't think you'll ever have that without a level of transparency that no one wants to give us.

Schools don't want every bit of their laundry aired and compared. I think there's a lot of cases the NCAA has no real power over what took place - the UNC cheating scandal for example - the only solution there was for the academic governing body to threaten accreditation but the NCAA has no real power over that because universities can and do retain all power over academics. It's hard to tell the difference between a paper class and independent study but that's something their accreditors not the NCAA should've looked at and the thought of losing accreditation is so horrifying to a school that I gaurantee you know governing body formed from universities to oversee sports is gonna have that body touch anything related to accreditation because that doens't end football or basketball that ends your university - period (at least potentially).

What happened at Penn State is another example - the NCAA was able to hit PSU hard because PSU offered themselves up to those punishment. Later, after the immediate embarrassment had gone away PSU asked for and got some reductions. But the entire tragedy of Penn State never had much at all to do with anything NCAA related - players weren't being enticed with illegal benefits, recruiting rules, weren't being broken - instead it was horrifying crime and the scandal (and crime) of adults doing nothing when they suspected abuse.

Other cases like ours that got everyone pissed are standard NCAA cases. Mizzou is pissed because they got hammered over a cheating scandal while we didn't get a bowl ban but what happened at each school and what each school did about it are completely different things. We were also under different eras of enforcement.

So even if we did get full transparency, the cases don't line up. People want to make these comparisons but I don't think things are quite as random as the general public percieves. You could probably go back and form a timeline of cases under specific eras of rules and find patterns. I'd be surprised if commitee X treated offenders that differently throughout their own era/enforcement period. But the commitee headed by Y and under that era of enforcement and rules may well have treated offenders very differently than X but consistent within their own era of enforcement.
The NCAA plays favorites. Pure and simple.

The difference is that now they will be missing out on major $$$.

At the end of the day, potential revenue will beat out potential W&L’s

Between us and the B1G the difference is nominal. The B1G probably has the better tv deal (they usually do) but not enough to really matter. FSU is going to choose how far (how often) they want to travel. Personally, I would also be a little leery of a Florida team playing in the B1G during winter. I don't like playing at Mizzou at the end of the year.

The NCAA is extremely crooked, and exactly what everyone is upset about is that their favorites "should have to abide by the same rules everyone else abides by," but they never have and never will. Everyone sees through them. There is no moral obligation. All the "should" talk is moral obligation.

The greater issue is that there is no possible regulatory body that can be trusted. Not the NCAA, not the Birmingham office, and least all Congress or the diktats called executive orders.

The whole Sabey/Kirby propaganda, noised abroad by the sychophant and click-hungry media, about needing regulation is just an attempt to restore that ancien regime. No thanks. Doing nothing at all is better than crooked enforcement. If the NCAA investigates Sabey and requires him to forfeit all games and titles since his first recruiting class, I'm up for a second look.
I disagree with your take. The current makeup is untenable where we live in the 'Wild West' with no rules or guidelines.. There does need to be a Governing body that establishes rules to address inequities. But yes, those rules must be followed by all (no special treatment). I'd like it to be a system where the Big Programs don't simply outspend the other 95% of schools (sure, some of this is already happening). I'd like it to be a system where craven State Law Makers trying to define new rules that favor their home institutions are sidelined. Mistrust any governing body? Sure, it's healthy to keep an eye on the regulator. But zero regulations is only asking for all kinds of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back