Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
freaky-super-freak.gif

They are trying to control the actions of their member organizations.

A: You can make money off of you NIL.

B: We need to make sure our member organizations don't abuse that to get an unfair advantage.

States: we'd love to mandate that they can't investigate our enforce against that unfair advantage for our in state schools.
😂That’s totally different than what I was talking about. I was talking about the athletes. The organization should be able to investigate abuses by the schools. I guess the problem is nobody trusts the organization to fairly investigate or enforce and feel the athletes will end up losing as usual. It’s all a mess.

I’m going to state that our coaches are aware of this situation and are planning on making provisions to counteract it. If our WRs practice against DBs that are imitating the uga DBs , then they can scheme ways around it.

Can a WR blast a DB at the line of scrimmage? As soon as the WR feels the grab, raise their arms as they spin and fall down. The refs would have to call that as defensive holding or PI.

Surely our coaches have a game plan 🤔
You forgot the 15-0!

Here is me being Captain Obvious... If this defense becomes adept at causing turnovers, then these Vols can beat any team anywhere at anytime.

Defense is about making sure the other team gets less points than our team. If that happens every game, we will win a lot of games this season (fortunately, we don't play LSU or UNC this year).

Reactions: Glitch
They are trying to control the actions of their member organizations.

A: You can make money off of you NIL.

B: We need to make sure our member organizations don't abuse that to get an unfair advantage.

States: we'd love to mandate that they can't investigate our enforce against that unfair advantage for our in state schools.
Great summary. I do hope an organization can help with B.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Also, as an employee, if I don't like the rules or restrictions that an employer puts on me, I can go find employment somewhere where the restrictions are more in line with what I am willing to tolerate. For a young person that wants to play their sport in college, they currently don't really have an option except to fall under the purview of the NCAA. Whatever rules and restrictions, whether they be reasonable or not, are what the athletes and schools have to follow. There is no alternative governing body that schools or athletes can switch to. So schools and athletes are stuck dealing with an organization that clearly does not enforce it's standards evenly. A money generating or favored school may get a slap on the wrist for the same violation that would get another school the death penalty. Our most recent interaction with them is a perfect example. Pruitt and Co cheated and paid players what was at the time impermissible benefits. Now facts came out of that investigation that would indicate the at least one player on UGA's team got paid money from us during that time frame as well. Is there an investigation into the possibility of UGA providing impermissible benefits to players? No, because they are the golden child right now and for the AA to admit that there is anything rotten in Athens, GA would upset their money printing machine. It is all such a crock of poo.
I was going to use that point about the athletes not having another option the next time someone used the point about having the right to leave your employer if you don’t like their rules.

And the blatant unfairness by the NCAA has everyone ready to burn it down.

That is an outlier example IMHO. Here is mine:

Colorado law says marijuana is legal for medical and recreational consumption. I say if you want to work for my company, that MJ is a no go

Have an accident with your work truck and test positive, you are fired

Now, I am not random testing (probably could not hire a journeyman carpenter in the state if I did); but if you have a worksite accident and piss hot, you done

And it is written in the employee handbook as such
Same. Accident or injury while working drug screen mandatory.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I was going to use that point about the athletes not having another option the next time someone used the point about having the right to leave your employer if you don’t like their rules.

And the blatant unfairness by the NCAA has everyone ready to burn it down.
Yah. That was the issue pointed out in the SCOTUS response. Basically they hinted to the NCAA that if their business model depended on athletes being poor, it didnt deserve to exist, and come in front of us again, expect antitrust problems.

Yah. That was the issue pointed out in the SCOTUS response. Basically they hinted to the NCAA that if their business model depended on athletes being poor, it didnt deserve to exist, and come in front of us again, expect antitrust problems.
I can’t believe I am witnessing college football fall apart.

Hmmm…to me it sounds like you are describing a Soviet nanny state where the NCAA controls every aspect of the athletes life. Not slavery because they chose it but indentured servant.

You just said legal limits. There are legal limits to the amount of control an employer can have on an employee. The Supreme Court has ruled that the NCAA can no longer have control of an athlete’s NIL. So I don’t know why exactly anyone is arguing they can. I asked and got no answer…what exactly is the NCAA planning on doing to control NIL? Limit the amount? I keep hearing them threatening. And keep hearing the big cheaters complaining.

The NCAA cannot limit the amount an individual athlete can make in NIL. But they could set a "salary cap" limiting the amount member institutions spend annually on NIL

NFL salary cap for 2023 is $224.8 million. The Chiefs could pay Mahomes $224.8 million this year, or they can choose to field a 45 man roster

That seems to me to be the only way the 'AA remains relevant

Reactions: screenthis
The NCAA cannot limit the amount an individual athlete can make in NIL. But they could set a "salary cap" limiting the amount member institutions spend annually on NIL

NFL salary cap for 2023 is $224.8 million. The Chiefs could pay Mahomes $224.8 million this year, or they can choose to field a 45 man roster

Or make sure member institutions aren't paying/facilitating the NIL.

NIL != salary. The NFL can't limit how much an athlete can make off of sponsorship.

Again... important here...

NIL != salary

But I thought the collectives are separate from the universities??? At least technically it is not the university that is paying for the NIL. Right? Now if they want to start paying a salary from their TV money, that’s different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back