Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about being a fan of Washington baseball, softball or other “non revenue” sport and trying to watch those games. Nevermind being the school who has to pay for those sports to travel and the SA who have to endure that trek.
Are the “student athletes” even going to have time for school with all the travel.

The NCAA cannot limit the amount an individual athlete can make in NIL. But they could set a "salary cap" limiting the amount member institutions spend annually on NIL

NFL salary cap for 2023 is $224.8 million. The Chiefs could pay Mahomes $224.8 million this year, or they can choose to field a 45 man roster

That seems to me to be the only way the 'AA remains relevant
Not sure that would work either. The very top NILs (with massive donors like Ruiz) are probably around, just guessing, $10mil/yr. Even if they set an NIL cap at $8mil/yr, all the big NIL players will still be fine, while the smaller NIL schools will still be hurtin'.

It would only level the playing field for the top 5-10 programs with massive donors. It would stop billionaire donors from going berserk and outpacing the other largest NILs by dropping $20mil/yr when the other NIL collectives can barely do a few mil.

That might be what we need to keep the P5 schools competitive across the board. A single billionaire donor won't be able to just buy $100mil worth of players year after year and essentially buy a dynasty. . . but only the top5-10 schools (or less) could max an $8mil/yr NIL cap anyway, so you'd still have just the super-rich teams playing at the top. Overall product quality outside those 5-10 schools would take a huge hit, ruining college football from a fan's perspective.

Going beyond 14/16 schools in a conference is ridiculous. Scheduling, traveling, etc. will be a complete mess. All rivalries are going away because you won't play every team even in a 2/3 year period. Just pure greed.
These kids want to get paid.........travel is now part of the job. They got to deal with it.:)

I have come up with my own football plan for both the SEC and the ACC. First, the SEC dumps Mizzou, because who needs them? Then we add Okie State, because for some reason, I want to preserve Bedlam. The ACC will need to add West VA. That would put both conferences at 16 teams. So we enter into a partnership, not a merge, and each team gets one permanent and one rotating opponent for a game each season. So the SEC could go to 9 conference games and 2 games against ACC opponents each season. The 12th game could be against whoever, just stop with the scheduling a lower division team. At the least, make it a G5 opponent.

A lot of rivalries get preserved this way, and the ACC benefits from riding the SEC's coattails. And it sticks it to the Big 10finity. And it gives us a bunch of good football IMO.

I have come up with my own football plan for both the SEC and the ACC. First, the SEC dumps Mizzou, because who needs them? Then we add Okie State, because for some reason, I want to preserve Bedlam. The ACC will need to add West VA. That would put both conferences at 16 teams. So we enter into a partnership, not a merge, and each team gets one permanent and one rotating opponent for a game each season. So the SEC could go to 9 conference games and 2 games against ACC opponents each season. The 12th game could be against whoever, just stop with the scheduling a lower division team. At the least, make it a G5 opponent.

A lot of rivalries get preserved this way, and the ACC benefits from riding the SEC's coattails. And it sticks it to the Big 10finity. And it gives us a bunch of good football IMO.
sounds good to me. best part is that turd in Missouri gets to suck eggs.

sounds good to me. best part is that turd in Missouri gets to suck eggs.
I like the idea of VA Tech being our permanent ACC opponent. Trade home and homes and every 5 years play The Battle of Bristol, if it could be arranged. Good football can still live on in the South.

They will be flying…. Not that much time difference.

Flying from Eugene, Oregon to Piscataway, NJ is not a hop, skip, and a jump. It's a 4 hour flight direct with 3 time zone changes. You can't travel the day before a game and expect kids to be ready to play at the top of their game. But not my problem.

The only thing that helps them is that the pandemic created more remote learning. But I am confident that you will see the non-revenue sports on the road 2 weeks at a time to play in several locations.

Lol....I would too. It's like the Jackson Hole, wherever you go in that valley, the Tetons are eye and soul magnets.

Dang it...now I'm really longing to go west..."The mountains are calling and I must go"
Mom and stepdad are about to fly out to Colorado and drive up there for 10 days. Been trying to pass along all of the moran knowledge between you and Jack 😆

It really is about to be the SEC 16 against everyone else.

Let both the Big Whatever Number They Want To Be come at the SEC…I’m guessing not much changes when it comes to who hoists the trophy at the end of the year 🤷‍♂️
Can we call them Big Whatever Number? Or just Big Whatever?

Reactions: Glitch
I'll always be a fan of my beloved alma mater Tennessee, but I don't like where college football as a whole is headed. P5 will be the P2 soon.
Good news for Husky fans: they only have to drive 2,850 miles to see their Washington football squad play at Rutgers!
They can leave on Wednesday and they'll get there in plenty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back