Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the schools...enforcing actual fairness....not allowing a chosen few to get away with murder. It is obvious that cronyism is rampant.
But that is the NCAA. The NCAA ARE the schools, very literally...

I think this is what is missed by so many. Their solution is what already exists. Again why I've never heard a real solution to this issue.

The NCAA cannot limit the amount an individual athlete can make in NIL. But they could set a "salary cap" limiting the amount member institutions spend annually on NIL

NFL salary cap for 2023 is $224.8 million. The Chiefs could pay Mahomes $224.8 million this year, or they can choose to field a 45 man roster

That seems to me to be the only way the 'AA remains relevant
But the “member institutions” aren’t paying out the dough. We’re talking private boosters and collectives. How does an organization with a stated intention of regulating and monitoring athletic departments have any authority on private enterprise? The NFL has a salary cap because the owners and PLAYERS UNION COLLECTIVELY BARGAINED with EVERYTHING on the table. Something tells me they don’t want that. So this is saber rattling trying to curtail the MILLIONS players can earn on their own…as opposed to the BILLIONS the schools and conferences bank. Won’t stand up to any legal challenge presented to any court with members that earned a law degree.

Last edited:
Not sure that would work either. The very top NILs (with massive donors like Ruiz) are probably around, just guessing, $10mil/yr. Even if they set an NIL cap at $8mil/yr, all the big NIL players will still be fine, while the smaller NIL schools will still be hurtin'.

It would only level the playing field for the top 5-10 programs with massive donors. It would stop billionaire donors from going berserk and outpacing the other largest NILs by dropping $20mil/yr when the other NIL collectives can barely do a few mil.

That might be what we need to keep the P5 schools competitive across the board. A single billionaire donor won't be able to just buy $100mil worth of players year after year and essentially buy a dynasty. . . but only the top5-10 schools (or less) could max an $8mil/yr NIL cap anyway, so you'd still have just the super-rich teams playing at the top. Overall product quality outside those 5-10 schools would take a huge hit, ruining college football from a fan's perspective.
I don't think the NCAA can limit how much external agencies give for NIL. I think their only jurisdiction is their member agencies. I suspect even trying to limit boosters will get dicey for them, to be honest.

"What? The athlete didn't have a right to that NIL money because the source graduated from the same college? We'll see you on court!"

Flying from Eugene, Oregon to Piscataway, NJ is not a hop, skip, and a jump. It's a 4 hour flight direct with 3 time zone changes. You can't travel the day before a game and expect kids to be ready to play at the top of their game. But not my problem.

The only thing that helps them is that the pandemic created more remote learning. But I am confident that you will see the non-revenue sports on the road 2 weeks at a time to play in several locations.

So true regarding travel

B1G non revenue squads are going to do MLB-esqe West Coast road swings

And as for football if UCLA has back-to-back road games @Rutgers and @Penn St, they are going to stay east and practice at Temple

Ridiculous

Happy Nolan Ryan-Robin Ventura day! Not only do we need to let the players settle their scores on the field more, the commentary of the fight is fantastic.

Baseball and hockey are got dang war 😂 a fight every week. Bunch of thugs

Nolan was always my dad's favorite. Can't believe he was pitching at 46. Guess why my dad liked him so much. Him and some old knuckleball pitcher that threw well into later years and whiffed dudes regularly.

So true regarding travel

B1G non revenue squads are going to do MLB-esqe West Coat road swings

And as for football if UCLA has back-to-back road games @Rutgers and @Penn St, they are going to stay east and practice at Temple

Ridiculous
I think it will all crumble if there isnt synchrony in any of this. And how do you possibly crown a champion in a 16+ conference for football?….

I think this is what is missed by so many. Their solution is what already exists. Again why I've never heard a real solution to this issue.
The problem is, the people who actually hold some kind of official status, aren't treating each school equally. The NCAA derives its power from the schools, but it stopped being the schools a long time ago when favoritism creeped in.

Yes I drank a Zima about 30 years ago and have not had another one since. 🤦‍♂️
i-would-not-admit-to-that-neil-degrasse-tyson.gif

The problem is, the people who actually hold some kind of official status, aren't treating each school equally. The NCAA derives its power from the schools, but it stopped being the schools a long time ago when favoritism creeped in.
It's university politics. The NCAA answers to the school presidents. Burn it down and start over, that rebrand will answer to the same group that is either corrupt or feckless.

Reactions: Devo182
Lmao.

So, please tell, who are those with "official status"?

You mean the Committee on Infractions board doling out punishments? Or the Board of Governors? Please tell more about who they are...I won't hold my breath.

If you don't get how the NCAA operates and who operates it, then let's go back to Sports Law at UT and relearn. Btw awesome class.

When we say the NCAA ARE the schools and vice versa, it isn't just words. It is very real. The very individuals that rule are university and conference folks, faculty, sometimes a student-athlete (I believe that is new).

Reactions: VolNash17

Technically, yes. But there are always agendas with NCAA enforcement from their employees and from member reps who make decisions. The selection committees are an example. The people who make them up have biases and agendas, and they make certain decisions to maximize revenue for the NCAA.

Lmao.

So, please tell, who are those with "official status"?

You mean the Committee on Infractions board doling out punishments? Or the Board of Governors? Please tell more about who they are...I won't hold my breath.

If you don't get how the NCAA operates and who operates it, then let's go back to College Sports Law at UT and relearn. Btw awesome class.
I'm not going to look up individual names, but it's plain for anyone and everyone to see that enforcement and investigation are not equal and have not been for some time.

I'm not going to look up individual names, but it's plain for anyone and everyone to see that enforcement and investigation are not equal and have not been for some time.

They haven’t been since the SMU days. One of the things the investigators discovered during that scandal was that the whole SWC was absolutely rife with blatant cheating. Only one school paid a significant price for it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back