Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back and looked and I can't find any post of my thoughts on the hire. I'm sure I thought we could have done better since I had barely heard of the guy.
I was most likely one of the “fetal position” guys. By the end of that coaching search I felt I’d been in labor for months. 😣

And yet many on here did not want him, made fun of his recruitment coming out of HS as well as playing early in his time on the team.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish. He had the heart of a Vol and the work ethic of an east TN born and bred Mays.
I have come to learn that many on here do not know anything more than I do.

They do that every game…. It’s how I wish we would teach our DBs…..it didn’t work as well for Georgia against Ohio state.
Was that because they got more calls, they backed off to keep from getting calls or OSU receivers were more physical? I think I saw a little of all three.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I’ve stated this before that every season in this scheme, the OL under Ellarbee gets better and better…regardless of departing talent like Wright. The other players in the position group pick each other up and act as another coach. Culture builds culture. This dynamic will be tested whenever Cooper Mays departs, but remember he was nowhere near the performer previous to the coaching change. Teaching and a silent rock star in Kurt Schmidt building their core.
Remember how we heard that OL was going to be a weakness the last two years?

@Neyland Rising liked a comment of mine last night, so I want back and read on from his "Mehupel" post. People trying to Shiano the hire, Josh Pate was even poking the bear, 😂. Only 3-4 members were being rationale at all. . . @Bassmaster_Vol was ready to burn Neyland, then 2 minutes later talking about how good Heupel may be. @SweetasSoda talking about her excitement over his offense. A couple others trying to use reason to explain why Heupel may be a good hire, but mostly posters were curled up on a fetal position, 😂

It's wild how some of the biggest whiners were members I'd never heard of and never seen since.

It's also wild how much better Heupel has been than ANYONE thought he could be, in all respects. Is he the best hire so far in the 20's?
That’s true! I thought he would have a good offense, but never dreamed he would be able to scheme wins the way he does or get the best out of players the way he does. And I’m glad this board can’t pick coaches or players lol.

I was most likely one of the “fetal position” guys. By the end of that coaching search I felt I’d been in labor for months. 😣
😂 It was exhausting! And terrifying! Don’t think we could have withstood another bad hire….. People forget where we were 3 years ago and demand we be on AL and GA’s level now!!!

It isnt effective if he runs more than once or twice a game. Or, in a breakdown for 4th down.
I disagree. It can be effective once or twice a quarter. Sure there's diminishing returns at some point, but once or twice isn't enough to keep the defense guessing. Granted that one or two times will be a good gain, but the other 30 the defense will just easily target the RB. If you're going to have that in your offense, you have to keep it enough to keep the defense honest.

Butch was so infuriating with that, he'd only let the qb keep it once or twice and it was pointless, you just robbed the rb of his running start and got no benefit of misdirection or making the defense guess from it.

Reactions: Glitch
I disagree. It can be effective once or twice a quarter. Sure there's diminishing returns at some point, but once or twice isn't enough to keep the defense guessing. Granted that one or two times will be a good gain, but the other 30 the defense will just easily target the RB. If you're going to have that in your offense, you have to keep it enough to keep the defense honest.

Butch was infuriating, he was pointless, he robbed us of 4 years and $8 million dollars

Reactions: jave36
Has anyone heard any intelligent conversations [...comedic pause...] about how many "weak sisters" a conference needs to be a healthy conference? Not financially healthy, but fans/players/coaches/teams healthy.

I'll throw out some random thoughts on the advantages of having... let's call it a "spectrum of quality" within your conference schedule:

Fan interest. Not every fan (especially younger ones--the ones we're losing) can have their interest held merely by the Xs and Os. You need some ongoing narratives to keep fans involved, especially after their team is mathematically eliminated from postseason play. You need stories about teams that are on the rise, teams that have peaked under a certain coach, and the yearly potential for someone to become a Cinderella story.

Injury prevention. Sure, any team can cause injuries (Akron!) but lots of injuries happen because wear & tear from a brutal schedule puts players in late-season situations where their normal 100% effort suddenly exceeds their body's capacity. We certainly don't want football to become even more injury-prone. With today's attitudes toward risk, that could decimate the sport.

Playing opportunities for younger players. For sure, your starters will benefit from playing only 2-3 quarters a few times each season. But most importantly, in this age of portal temptation, you need to play as many players as possible just to keep them on the roster so you can keep developing them.
----
Restating the original question, is anyone seeing/hearing discussions on how a conference could be unhealthy because it's too competitive, top-to-bottom?

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back