Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Real football" is pretty CLOSE if not dead on trash. REAL as opposed to what?
He said KY plays real football. Not that offense that throws 80 yard TDs. No, he didn’t say it in a trashy way like on the football field.
Maybe I'm not hearing him accurately, but I've replayed it several times and at slower speeds.

The question put to Levis was about "which is more satisfying: to throw an 80-yard touchdown, or to put together 10+-play drives that end in a touchdown that kinda leave teams drained as the 4th quarter rolls around?"

Levis responded, "It's cool... I love throwing 80-yard touchdowns, but, I mean, that's real football... that's real, real football when you have two good football teams going against each other... um, they're gonna make plays, we're gonna make plays... and, uh, it's not... [unintelligible syllable] football you're not gonna have a guy that, that breaks 5 tackles every other play, you know?"

If I've miss-heard what he said, I'm wrong. But if what I hear is what Levis said and what the questioner said... then there's not even anything here that's about Tennessee. It's all about Kentucky's offense and what Levis personally found more satisfying when running it.
-----
If I had to read anything into it, I'd say the questioner suffers from Dull Kentucky Offense syndrome and is fishing for a quote to buck up their fanbase that, even though KY can't compare with splashier offenses [like, maybe, across the state line?] their offense is still legitimate and capable of winning games their own way.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Maybe I'm not hearing him accurately, but I've replayed it several times and at slower speeds.

The question put to Levis was about "which is more satisfying: to throw an 80-yard touchdown, or to put together 10+-play drives that end in a touchdown that kinda leave teams drained as the 4th quarter rolls around?"

Levis responded, "It's cool... I love throwing 80-yard touchdowns, but, I mean, that's real football... that's real, real football when you have two good football teams going against each other... um, they're gonna make plays, we're gonna make plays... and, uh, it's not... [unintelligible syllable] football you're not gonna have a guy that, that breaks 5 tackles every other play, you know?"

If I've miss-heard what he said, I'm wrong. But if what I hear is what Levis said and what the questioner said... then there's not even anything here that's about Tennessee. It's all about Kentucky's offense and what Levis personally found more satisfying when running it.
-----
If I had to read anything into it, I'd say the questioner suffers from Dull Kentucky Offense syndrome and is fishing for a quote to buck up their fanbase that, even though KY can't compare with splashier offenses [like, maybe, across the state line?] their offense is still legitimate and capable of winning games their own way.
More subtle than blatant, but it fits the "gimmick offense" crap we heard from several fanbases after the results started speaking for the offense. You choose to believe that it was all honest at face value and I staunchly believe Levis and other players are parroting what their coaches are spewing in lieu of being outschemed.

We need 4 regional 16 team super conferences to compete against each other in a Division 1 format in all sports.
Take the next 64 in D2
Then next 64 in D3.
This evens the playing field.
Require each D1 to sponsor a program in each division with $2 million for D2 and $1 million for D3.

Not sure there are 64 teams required. I still like my 3 18 team conferences. 3 6 team divisions. Play each division team and two each from the other two divisions on rotating home and away. SO ONE MORE TIME I WILL BORE YOU WITH MY PLAN FOR THE SEC.

Have each division winner and the highest national rated non winner play in Conference semis and winners play for the Championship.
So if your only loss is to one of the highest rated teams in the land in your division you still get a shot.

The SEC divsions would be

Eastern time zone... FL, GA, SC, TN, KY and one of the two new adds. (NC my choice)
Central time zone east of the Mississippi, AL, AU,MS,MSU, LSU, VU
Central time zone west of the Mississippi TX, TAM, ARK, Missouri, OK, and the other of the two adds to get to 18.

Not too imbalanced I don't think and LOTS of natural rivalries are covered. Rotate through league every six years.

NO OTHER fixed games... If for example the GA AU or UT Bama games are so important, let them be scheduled when not in official schedule, but not count in conference calculations those years. Not hard to calculate of a hard fixed rotation.

The national playoffs can be seeded at the end of the season from here.. maybe a couple of outside slots not from the three super conferences or revert to the 4 team playoff using the conference semis as the playoffs with once again the highest ranked non winner in the national semis.

If we need to purge and replace some bottom feeders so be it.

It might make more sense to allow some of the Western guys from SEC and BIG go to another conference and backfill from the dying ACC. Cleaning up the west coast from the BIG would be nice too. Big footprint for the western most conference cannot be helped, but clearly better than the coast to coast BIG plan.

-----
IIRC this interview was the week before or of the game. The interviewer didn't ask a this-or-that question. They didn't mention 80yd touchdowns. They just asked about grinding drives.

So, right before playing UT, "How do you like grind-it-out drives that wears defenses out?"

"Great. Throwing 80yd tds is nice but thats REAL football."

Could be wrong about when it was said, but I think that's part of the context.

Edit: yeah, he said this the week of the game and they were talking about preparing to play Tennessee

https://atozsports.com/nashville/how-kentucky-tennessee-vols-some-bulletin-board-material/

Knowing what you know right now, if you could time travel and hire absolutely any coach in the country, would you go back to 2020/'21 and hire a different coach instead of Heupel?

Reactions: hooter vol
Knowing what you know right now, if you could time travel and hire absolutely any coach in the country, would you go back to 2020/'21 and hire a different coach instead of Heupel?
Yes.

Give me Jeff Bezos as "head coach"

Josh Heupel as "assistant coach"

...count down the months to having a billion dollar stadium, facilities, and roster 🤔

[In all seriousness] - given a guy like Urban is unlikely returning to the game...move on to Saban...but he'll likely only give you 5-7 years. Enough to fully revive the program and maybe that's worth it(?) Also get to harm Bama hugely...

With Kirby you'd have the best defensive scheme in the country. But could he recruit as well to UT as he has with UGA, being a UGA grad himself and the talent there? No, but it would be very good. Ofc ours is pretty darn good rn. So basically just trading the #1 offense for #1 defense (more like ~top 10 with not as elite talent). So, no thanks.

Urban or Saban, think you have to. But that's where my list ends. Dabo is far too cringey, otherwise he'd make the list too...and even then only if Venables followed.

Last edited:
IIRC this interview was the week before or of the game. The interviewer didn't ask a this-or-that question. They didn't mention 80yd touchdowns. They just asked about grinding drives.

So, right before playing UT, "How do you like grind-it-out drives that wears defenses out?"

"Great. Throwing 80yd tds is nice but thats REAL football."

Could be wrong about when it was said, but I think that's part of the context.

Edit: yeah, he said this the week of the game and they were talking about preparing to play Tennessee

https://atozsports.com/nashville/how-kentucky-tennessee-vols-some-bulletin-board-material/
All I can say is I quoted (verbatim) the question and the answer I heard on the video clip that was posted. Ragan, in his AtoZ article, did not. He only put two words in quotes: "real football." The rest he edited and spun into something that just is not in the original clip.

We all know teams hear what they want to hear, and "journalists" write what we want to hear. It's not a big deal, either way--except when a player responds to a question the right way, but a news-twisted version ends up on the opponent's bulletin board.

They can do it to our players as easily as theirs. Maybe that's why Saban is such a control freak about player access to the media.

But we might as well start getting over our BVS, and our pre-Heupel sensitivity that we're always being disrespected. Real or imagined, we don't have to respond to those petty slights anymore. Our team is taking care of it on the field, and seeing is believing.

Had a chance to catch up on some of the practice stuff this morning. Looks like the strength staff deserves a raise...

The guy running the "blue-chip breakdown" YouTube channel said he thought Arion Carter had a chance to be one of the best defensive players in UT history. So uh, that's some high praise. Team seems to be looking sharp so far.

All I can say is I quoted (verbatim) the question and the answer I heard on the video clip that was posted. Ragan, in his AtoZ article, did not. He only put two words in quotes: "real football." The rest he edited and spun into something that just is not in the original clip.

We all know teams hear what they want to hear, and "journalists" write what we want to hear. It's not a big deal, either way--except when a player responds to a question the right way, but a news-twisted version ends up on the opponent's bulletin board.

They can do it to our players as easily as theirs. Maybe that's why Saban is such a control freak about player access to the media.

But we might as well start getting over our BVS, and our pre-Heupel sensitivity that we're always being disrespected. Real or imagined, we don't have to respond to those petty slights anymore. Our team is taking care of it on the field, and seeing is believing.
I dislike AtoZ and Zach Ragan's "journalism". That was only one of MANY sources that addressed what he said that week, including Kentucky media, and connected it to Tennessee.

What you saw in the clip was also just a snippet of the entire interview. It was right before the Tennessee game and they were talking about Tennessee. Was the reaction exaggerated? Yes. But he was directly talking about Tennessee's offense and was 100% calling Kentucky's style of play "real football."

Literally has nothing to do with BVS lmao

You also didn't "verbatim" quote the question that was asked. If you think you did, you need to listen again. The interviewer did not say anything about throwing 80yd tds.

-----
"The question put to Levis was about "which is more satisfying: to throw an 80-yard touchdown, or to put together 10+-play drives that end in a touchdown that kinda leave teams drained as the 4th quarter rolls around?"

This is not what was asked.

Interviewer: "How much more satisfying is it to put together those 10-plus play drives that end in a touchdown and kind of drain teams as the 4th quarter rolls around?" That question was asked because Levis had just talked about how they needed to minimize Tennessee's offensive possessions and drain the clock. I agree that I don't think Levis was intentionally trying to take a shot at Tennessee, but he said what he said. He is the one that injected the whole "throw 80yd touchdowns" part... and big plays is kinda our thing. The entire interview was about Tennessee game prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back