Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigfoot is sometimes confused for Sasquatch — Yeti never complains.
3BGWn4C.gif

I understand where you’re coming from but I don’t think there’s a more accomplished college football coach than Saban, bar none. I don’t like Bama, but he’s certainly the GOAT in my opinion.

He was the best at getting to a school with jimmy and Joe appeal, but can you claim the title and lose to a still undermanned UT last year? Heat, yes, greatest hard for me to buy. How many losses to underdogs can you have? How many has he had

Reactions: MemphisVol3
So Spurrier/Rhule/Kiffin etc are all mediocre coaches who must have cheated in college since they struggled in the pros?

My post was in response to the having superior talent part. No idea about the cheating. I can speculate but not prove. Saban has had superior talent in college. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Whether that's from being an excellent recruiter, CEO, cheater, one or two or all, the fact he's had more talent still stands.

And, yes, Spurrier/Rhule/Kiffen/Saban etc were mediocre in the pros because the talent is much more even than in CFB. Also, could have something to do with being able to intimidate younger adults. Not gonna work in the NFL when your stars are making millions and may not work much longer in CFB with the way NIL is going.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Your Saban nut hugging makes me want to vomit. As to ethical, are we discussing the same "leader of men" that didn't discipline players found with guns and weed in their car? Are we talking the same Nick Saban that didn't discipline his player for punching a female? You definitely have a different standard of a good "leader of men" than I do.

So I didn’t say he was a good leader of men. I said he was a far more ethical leader than Jones or Fulmer. How soon we forget that meeting at the Chapman Hwy Shoneys where Fulmer pressured a girls mom to change her story about being raped. So please don’t put words in my mouth. Or I might want to vomit.

Agree with your point, and I’d add…

Bill Belichick:

136-39 with Tom Brady as QB

51-65 without

So superior talent or generational players make a difference in one's coaching "abilities"? Interesting and noted.

Next thing I know you'll be telling me that corporate CEOs are more successful when surrounded by great employees
. o_O;)

*Edited for the font police*

Last edited:
The same guy whom defends grown men assaulting women, bringing guns to campus, and manipulating the NCAA to bend the rules into his favor.

Yeah, what an ethical leader Saban is…..

I didn’t say he was a saint. I said I find him to be more ethical than Jones and especially Fulmer. Saban can be a bad person and still not be as bad as others. Just like I think Fulmer is an EXCEPTIONALLY bad person but not in the same breath as Urban.Two things can be true at the same time.

There was much wringing of hands from the mods regarding the OL on last night’s VQ chat. Something to keep an eye on — not that we didn’t realize we might take a step back there.

Reactions: Dooby15
So I didn’t say he was a good leader of men. I said he was a far more ethical leader than Jones or Fulmer. How soon we forget that meeting at the Chapman Hwy Shoneys where Fulmer pressured a girls mom to change her story about being raped. So please don’t put words in my mouth. Or I might want to vomit.
Is that you Paul Finebaum taking up for Nicky Poo???🤨🤨

Reactions: Volunteer821
Is that you Paul Finebaum taking up for Nicky Poo???🤨🤨

At least the other posters brought up legitimate arguments that we could talk about. Yours is too stupid for me to do much other than roll my eyes. Anyway we’ve been asked to move the topic back to Cole so I will oblige.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Saban is the most accomplished sure, best? No IMO. Tom Osborne was better with what he did at Nebraska and what he had to work with in comparison to Saban. Also crushed Saban and gave him his 2 worse losses of his career 50-10 and 55-14. Also went out on top at age 60 (relatively young for coach retirement). 25 years and his worst record was 9-3-1. Fastest to 250 wins. 83.6% win percentage. All of that. Also you could argue a few more over Saban as well from a coaching standpoint. Sabans resume before Bama was good not great. Had a championship but his resume looked like Jimbo Fisher pre 2008. A championship with a bunch of 7-9 win seasons sprinkled in there
If it weren’t for Boyd Epley and his “strength” program, Osborne would be a footnote in college football history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back