Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I got my years mixed up, I went to Ozzfest in '99 and 2000. Sabbath got back together in 98 for UK Ozzfest, played the states in 99. They were awesome, just the "legends" of it all, along with the music; but the best show that year was Primus, as they always are, no matter who else is playing. Slipknot played the smaller stage, if I remember correctly, and they were mindblowing, and absolutely crazy! Deftones killed it, too, of course.

The best show in 2000 was Incubus...they completely burnt the whole festival down, they were badass. Queens Of The Stone Age, badfckingass, as always. Ozzy solo was good, Pantera was amazing. I remember the lead singer from Godsmack getting pissed because the crowd was not going crazy enough for his liking, all the while fires were burning in the grass at Starwood, and people losing their minds in the pit. I guess he wanted murder.

I also remember Kittie. All-girl band, and they killed!!!

They also had a very cool "Shakedown Street" area, if you know what Shakeeown is. Merch, carnival, tattoo parlors, goth dancers, magicians, fire eaters...on drugs, it was A LOT!

The one thing I remember most though about 2000, thru all of that haze, is the Godsmack singer getting PISSED. Strange, that being rhe most vivid memory.

But, one of the coolest stories I have, Devo..I can't remember what year it was, 2006, maybe, somewhere around that time...idk if you've ever heard of Secret Machines? One of my favorite bands around that time...they played City Hall, in The Gulch, one night. My friends and I were there. The next night was Halloween, and they were playing in Atlanta. After the show in Nashville, me and my friends were hanging out, as the crowd was thinning, and got their autographs on our posters. We were chatting them up, and told them we were thinking of driving down for the Atlanta show.The band got our names, and told us we would have free tix and backstage passes waiting on us. So, that next morning we headed out from Murfreesboro, all the while saying, "These tix won't be there, they probably forgot", fully expecting to have to pay. We got there, and both the tix and passes were waiting for us. Awesome, right! But, here's where it gets REALLY ****** AWESOME...after the show, we were hanging out with them backstage, and caught wind that Beck was playing a secret show upstairs in the same venue, on Halloween night! Brandon, their lead singer and keyboardist, asked if we wanted to go see Beck upstairs...are you kidding me, yeah!!! So, Halloween, 2006 or 7??, I saw one of my favorite bands in the world, then saw one of my favorite artists of all time, WITH said favorite band. All for free. I didn't meet Beck that night; BUT, I did meet him one night in Sambuca, after his show at City Hall, in Nashville.

All this music festival talk; even the biggest festival goer spends 300 days listening to his home set up

Anyone got a home kit they are particularly proud of? Mine is pretty modest, but does what I need it to do for both tunes and TV:

-Sonos Arc
-two Sonos One surrounds
-two Sonos sub woofers (Gen 3)

Really booms when Taylor Swift asks me to "Shake It Off"

hehe

I don’t see how the OL could be such a concern. Miami transfer locked down LT early in fall practice over last year’s starting LT platoon. One of those guys will be starting RT. Spraggins and Mays both have tons of experience. Surely one guy on the roster is serviceable at LG.
I agree. However, O-line is like a chain, one bad link can ruin the whole thing

I think it's because Woodstock represented what was happening on the West Coast finally hitting the entire country. Hell, even now as college football fans we rarely truly know that much about what's going on with West Coast teams because of the time difference and we have 24/7 news coverage and a vested interest as cfb fans. But back then, the world was even bigger - more disconnected. While smaller countercultural movements were all over the nation and on every college campus of any size (minus super restrictive religious type unis/colleges), most white middle class Americans were completely unaware of it.

Woodstock was so big and happened on the East Coast that the nation finally paid attention to it. They finally had a feel that there was were a massive cultural shift taking place right under their noses and that the youth of that time frame were rebelling against a lot of things, demanding shifts and changes that at the time seemed fairly radical.
All of that, sure; not to mention 4 times as many people attended Woodstock than Monterey. But, yeah, I believe there's something to what you're saying. If Woodstock had been on the West Coast, nowhere near as many people would have paid attention, I believe that.

Also, as good as Janis was, she wasn't Otis Redding. He became a mega star at Monterey.

So banks was missing practices and whatnot.. bad attitude.. same for juju. Banks had a bad attitude in the building and tried to fight other players all the time for little to no reason. Before the usce game, Hendon said something to banks and banks immediately tried to fight him. Milton stepped in to take up for Hendon. Banks finally got in trouble for being a punk.
Imagine taking a right hook off someone who is strong enough to throw a football 1/8 a mile.

I’ll keep beating this drum for all the closeted avant garde in here: Big Ears. The best from all around the world come to play in Knoxville. There is not a city on the globe that has a festival that can top it.
Indeed. Big thanks to Ashley Capps on that. AC Entertainment has changed the landscape of live music from Nashville to Charlotte and ofc Knoxville and everything in between for decades. UT and Knoxville native.

At Bonnaroo, he is basically Willy Wonka. He often rides around on ATVs surveying his creation, while 99% of goers have no idea Wonka himself is passing them by.

And I'll always remember his "Sundown in the City" nights in Knoxville fondly. Saw some great acts there and it was a blast for a young teen and college kid.

Still sad I didn't attend the innaugral Big Ears.

Reactions: volinokc and ACvol3
So banks was missing practices and whatnot.. bad attitude.. same for juju. Banks had a bad attitude in the building and tried to fight other players all the time for little to no reason. Before the usce game, Hendon said something to banks and banks immediately tried to fight him. Milton stepped in to take up for Hendon. Banks finally got in trouble for being a punk.
The olde 'let em slide' regime, was too lazy to even keep their parking passes secret.

Reactions: ACvol3
Have a friend who knows Walker Merrill very well….helped him get to Wake Forest.

The Banks story from the fall before the SC game is true. It was Milton who shut everything down. Milton apparently picked him up and pinned him against the wall. Merrill said everyone loves Joe but he also is a defensive end playing QB and Banks didn’t want any part of Joe.

All of that, sure; not to mention 4 times as many people attended Woodstock than Monterey. But, yeah, I believe there's something to what you're saying. If Woodstock had been on the West Coast, nowhere near as many people would have paid attention, I believe that.

Also, as good as Janis was, she wasn't Otis Redding. He became a mega star at Monterey.

No I'll fight you on the last bit and I love Otis but Janis was the only person that brought the crowd to its feet. Otis became a megastar because he was able to crossover to white audiences. Janis was just starting out and Janis with Big Brother and the Holding Company is unbeatable.

That said, would love to hear Ego Rock with Janis + Otis Redding. The version with Nick Gravenites is great but Redding would've been an amazing match.

^^Live and improv'd.

Last edited:
Have a friend who knows Walker Merrill very well….helped him get to Wake Forest.

The Banks story from the fall before the SC game is true. It was Milton who shut everything down. Milton apparently picked him up and pinned him against the wall. Merrill said everyone loves Joe but he also is a defensive end playing QB and Banks didn’t want any part of Joe.
Perhaps that, and the entire team had Joe's back.

Speaking of classic rock - who has watched The Last Waltz? I was just recently turned on to this music documentary by The Bennington Show, but after talking to music friends now feel ashamed I'd never known of it 😅

Documents a legendary show by Robbie Robertson (The Band) accompanied by all sort of legendary acts from Muddy Waters to some Beatles and Stones, all shot by Scorcese, before he was quite Scorcese.

Speaking of classic rock - who has watched The Last Waltz? I was just recently turned on to this music documentary by The Bennington Show, but after talking to music friends now feel ashamed I'd never known of it 😅

Documents a legendary show by Robbie Robertson (The Band) accompanied by all sort of legendary acts from Muddy Waters to some Beatles and Stones, all shot by Scorcese, before he was quite Scorcese.

One of the all time great live performances

No I'll fight you on the last bit and I love Otis but Janis was the only person that brought the crowd to its feet. Otis became a megastar because he was able to crossover to white audiences. Janis was just starting out and Janis with Big Brother and the Holding Company is unbeatable.

That said, would love to hear Ego Rock with Janis + Otis Redding. The version with Nick Gravenites is great but Redding would've been an amazing match.

^^Live and improv'd.

He's right. Janis Joplin wasn't Otis Redding. I mean, just look at any photos of them. Duh.

IIRC, that documentary basically killed The Band. Scorcese was friends with Robbie and a lot of hurt feelings arose over the fact that it portrays The Band as pretty much just Robbie. Even so, that documentary has a ton of great performances. I haven't seen it in a while but I remember reading up on it and the story surrounding it. I'm trying to recall more but I haven't thought about that doc in a while....

^^Live and improv'd.

Now now, no need to go to beating my ass, you psycho. 🙂

As much as I like Janis, out of my LOOOOOONG list of musical favs, Otis is right near the top...the very tip top, as it pertains to just singers.

Reactions: volinokc
The lost concert I'm looking for is this --- Janis Joplin and Tina Turner did a song together. I believe that Janis had come to see Tina and they wound up doing a duet. There's pictures but no known recording. What I wouldn't give to hear those two sing together in their primes.

It shows the MASSIVE amount of respect the music world had for The Band, all those people showing up to play onstage with them.

Little factoid about The Last Waltz...the only special effect Scorcese used for it, was Neil Young. Young had a rock of cocaine stuck in his nostril, that was very visible, and Scorcese blotted it out during close-ups. Knowing that now, go back and watch it, and you'll see Young's performance in a whole different way.

Imo, it's the greatest rock documentary ever made. The Band, those guys were as talented as any musicians have ever been. RIP Robbie Robertson. He just died a few days ago.

It shows the MASSIVE amount of respect the music world had for The Band, all those people showing up to play onstage with them.

Little factoid about The Last Waltz...the only special effect Scorcese used for it, was Neil Young. Young had a rock of cocaine stuck in his nostril, that was very visible, and Scorcese blotted it out during close-ups. Knowing that now, go back and watch it, and you'll see Young's performance in a whole different way.

Imo, it's the greatest rock documentary ever made. The Band, those guys were as talented as any musicians have ever been. RIP Robbie Robertson. He just died a few days ago.

Garth is the only one left

Reactions: SugarCC
IIRC, that documentary basically killed The Band. Scorcese was friends with Robbie and a lot of hurt feelings arose over the fact that it portrays The Band as pretty much just Robbie. Even so, that documentary has a ton of great performances. I haven't seen it in a while but I remember reading up on it and the story surrounding it. I'm trying to recall more but I haven't thought about that doc in a while....
Helm HATED!!! it.

Reactions: UTProf
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back