Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
riddle me this. delays happen nearly every flight these days. delta has approx 9,959,001 employees roaming aimlessly, uncuffed, unhinged around every airport.

Why is it, that every flight is delayed due to no flight crew? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now now, no need to go to beating my ass, you psycho. 🙂

As much as I like Janis, out of my LOOOOOONG list of musical favs, Otis is right near the top...the very tip top, as it pertains to just singers.

As for singers Otis is up there but if I was going with top voices Janis, Tina, Etta James (At Last), Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Wilson Pickett, Jackie Wilson, Percy Sledge, Otis Redding, James Brown, Michael Jackson, Prince, Aretha Franklin, etc.

Reactions: SugarCC
As for singers Otis is up there but if I was going with top voices Janis, Tina, Etta James (At Last), Billie Holiday, Wilson Pickett, Jackie Wilson, Percy Sledge, Otis Redding, James Brown, Michael Jackson, Prince, Aretha Franklin, etc.
Love all of those, especially Percy Sledge...and, Otis. However, talking voices, Freddy Mercury drops a bomb right in the middle of that list, as does Paul Rodgers.

The lost concert I'm looking for is this --- Janis Joplin and Tina Turner did a song together. I believe that Janis had come to see Tina and they wound up doing a duet. There's pictures but no known recording. What I wouldn't give to hear those two sing together in their primes.
As much as I like Janis, she was no Tina, imo.

Love all of those, especially Percy Sledge...and, Otis. However, talking voices, Freddy Mercury drops a bomb right in the middle of that list, as does Paul Rodgers.

I was actually just thinking I needed Freddie on there (and truthfully the entire band because Queen was ridiculously talented in every way). Whitney Houston also deserves a mention but one thing always drove me crazy about her - she was the most talented singer of her era but she absolutely refused to put her all into it. The 'soul' was bled out of her songs because they were terrified she'd get stuck in R&B only instead of being a pop megastar but you could tell if she'd only have let it go - no one would've come close. She just never did.

TBH, if we're just going by voices I could add a ton more to the list.

As much as I like Janis, she was no Tina, imo.

Completely different voices but they would've paired very well together. I refuse to choose between them. You're trying to meet me at the Waffle House real bad! 🤣

There aren't enough female power vocalists and those two are the gold standard. I'll add an even more controversial one - I don't think much of her as a person but Courtney Love and Hole were freaking amazing. Her vocals were some of the most underrated raw power vocals ever.

Have a friend who knows Walker Merrill very well….helped him get to Wake Forest.

The Banks story from the fall before the SC game is true. It was Milton who shut everything down. Milton apparently picked him up and pinned him against the wall. Merrill said everyone loves Joe but he also is a defensive end playing QB and Banks didn’t want any part of Joe.

I want all great things for Joe this year. Such a solid dude.

I was actually just thinking I needed Freddie on there (and truthfully the entire band because Queen was ridiculously talented in every way). Whitney Houston also deserves a mention but one thing always drove me crazy about her - she was the most talented singer of her era but she absolutely refused to put her all into it. The 'soul' was bled out of her songs because they were terrified she'd get stuck in R&B only instead of being a pop megastar but you could tell if she'd only have let it go - no one would've come close. She just never did.

TBH, if we're just going by voices I could add a ton more to the list.
If Whitney had sung soul, she would be in my all-time all time. Her voice was unbelievable; but, I don't put her anywhere close to Aretha, Mahalia Jackson, Etta, or Billie.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
If Whitney had sung soul, she would be in my all-time all time. Her voice was unbelievable; but, I don't put her anywhere close to Aretha, Mahalia Jackson, Etta, or Billie.

No but the talent was there to do it. That's what always drove me crazy. She could've bested them all without breaking a sweat and absolutely squandered it. I don't know if it was her or the producers/managers but someone made that decision knowing full well that she had a once in a 100 years type of vocal talent.

Reactions: SugarCC
So banks was missing practices and whatnot.. bad attitude.. same for juju. Banks had a bad attitude in the building and tried to fight other players all the time for little to no reason. Before the usce game, Hendon said something to banks and banks immediately tried to fight him. Milton stepped in to take up for Hendon. Banks finally got in trouble for being a punk.
His attitude didn’t help with him threatening cops and Pruitt bailing him out that.

No but the talent was there to do it. That's what always drove me crazy. She could've bested them all without breaking a sweat and absolutely squandered it. I don't know if it was her or the producers/managers but someone made that decision knowing full well that she had a once in a 100 years type of vocal talent.

She chose to make music that appealed to a broader audience. While I understand your point, I would hardly call that squandering it.

Betty White. Rue McClanahan, Bea Arthur or Estelle Getty @Weezer which was your preference?
I have made my love known.

giphy.gif

I looked him up because I had no clue who he was. Dude is an Oklahoma water carrier who no doubt believed Bob when he said the championship was all him but the fails were all Heupel.
Horning: Another fail forward for Josh Heupel or a fine hire by the Vols?

So much hate and bitterness for the man
Following OU’s Russell Athletic Bowl loss to Clemson, he was fired and none too soon.
It is against that backdrop so many Sooner fans and so many who cover OU are utterly gobsmacked by Heupel’s hiring as Tennessee’s new football coach.
It’s unbelievable how the former Heisman Trophy runner-up continues to fail forward.

He takes break here to get a couple shots in on Heupel as a player
Heupel lucked out even as a player, throwing more interceptions than touchdowns the last six games of the 2000 season, yet dang near winning the Heisman anyway, while riding a dominant Sooner defense to the national championship.

Apparently doesn’t like Danny White either
Heupel may be a horrendous interview but all it takes is one mark in the hiring chair to be snowed and he’s found that man in Danny White

Then finishes with this gem
But hey, nobody’s won at Tennessee since Phil Fulmer and that was a bunch of coaches ago. Why not throw Josh Heupel against the wall.
He might even stick.

She chose to make music that appealed to a broader audience. While I understand your point, I would hardly call that squandering it.

Back then the charts were still very much color coded but that was changing. The music industry was simply afraid. A more soulful/emotional Houston wouldn't have had less appeal but more appeal. Music is after all about getting people to feel something - to move you in some way. With Houston, they were simply being risk averse. She was wildly successful but she's also the biggest "what could've been" in the past 30 years.

The industry was being as forward thinking as Simon Cowell was when he said Aretha Franklin would never make it today because she was fat. Then along came Adele.

Reactions: VolNash17
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back