Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true until the person that 'adopted' you dies and then you find out quickly it didn't mean a thing. I used to think it didn't matter but I've seen the consequences for other people once the family member who adopted them died and everyone else suddenly screamed they weren't 'real' family. The law tends to side with them too and it becomes an enormous wound for the person who was adopted -- most already feel like outsiders but then if they're left without legal protection and people they were raised with suddenly claiming they're not family because they get more inheritance if the other is disregarded is one of the most destructive and painful things I've ever witnessed. File the paperwork. It does matter in the end.
Again, I don't really see the need to adult-adopt a multi-millionaire. And if it's about inheritance, then that's what wills are for. And if it's about family acceptance, a piece of paper doesn't fix that. If the remaining family is that callous and greedy, a piece of paper isn't going to fix it.

Sounds like you want the court systems to produce in hearts what time and relationship didn't. I'm not sure I agree that it can. Hell, reread your post. You just admitted that adoptions didn't fix the issue.

Here's the quote I responded to:

Yep. That was the entire point of conservator status but if the Tuohy's genuinely cared about Oher they could've done an adult adoption after he'd left OM.

If they really cared about him? You serious? The only way to show their care and affection was to adopt a grown-ass man that just signed for millions of dollars of income?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there are too many relational shortcuts in our society already. Now we want people adult-adopting multi-millionaires, to create what emotional investments are meant to produce. Sheesh.

Last edited:
If they need a piece of paper, someone failed somewhere. You can be blood kin with names on a birth certificate, and fail in making them feel like a priority in your life. There can be no blood, and no paperwork, and yet you can let people know their priority.
They welcomed him into their home. If they did as alleged and told him he was signing adoption papers when it was not, then they lied and deserve the consequences.

They welcomed him into their home. If they did as alleged and told him he was signing adoption papers when it was not, then they lied and deserve the consequences.
I'm not defending them, and agree that's dirty (if true). But I was responding to this quote:

Yep. That was the entire point of conservator status but if the Tuohy's genuinely cared about Oher they could've done an adult adoption after he'd left OM.

Their action before he graduated may have shown a lack of care, if the stories are true and perception is correct. But they could have shown 'care' (love, affection) without adult adopting a grown-ass millionaire. Geez.

This is true until the person that 'adopted' you dies and then you find out quickly it didn't mean a thing. I used to think it didn't matter but I've seen the consequences for other people once the family member who adopted them died and everyone else suddenly screamed they weren't 'real' family. The law tends to side with them too and it becomes an enormous wound for the person who was adopted -- most already feel like outsiders but then if they're left without legal protection and people they were raised with suddenly claiming they're not family because they get more inheritance if the other is disregarded is one of the most destructive and painful things I've ever witnessed. File the paperwork. It does matter in the end.
Greedy people suck

I remember watching a pregame video of Butch before the 2015 UGA game. He looked like his head was going to explode, and he was telling the players "don't be afraid to make a mistake!" but his body language and demeanor made it clear that HE was terrified of making a mistake. He was wound so tightly and his teams played that way.

Yeah I liked Heupel’s answer on why he’s so cool and collected on the sideline in big games - because he expects his players to play that way.

Man...I still have nagging doubts that Joe can do the job when under pressure against (insert big game opponent) late in the game when he has to pull some greatness to win the game...but...I don't think I have ever rooted as hard for a player as I am for him this year...he deserves to have great things happen for him.

Understand but really think he's going to explode into a 1st round pick! About to find out if Halzle and CJH are the quarterback whisperers!

Again, I don't really see the need to adult-adopt a multi-millionaire. And if it's about inheritance, then that's what wills are for. And if it's about family acceptance, a piece of paper doesn't fix that. If the remaining family is that callous and greedy, a piece of paper isn't going to fix it.

Sounds like you want the court systems to produce in hearts what time and relationship didn't. I'm not sure I agree that it can. Hell, reread your post. You just admitted that adoptions didn't fix the issue.

Here's the quote I responded to:

If they really cared about him? You serious? The only way to show their care and affection was to adopt a grown-ass man that just signed for millions of dollars of income?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there are too many relational shortcuts in our society already. Now we want people adult-adopting multi-millionaires, to create what emotional investments are meant to produce. Sheesh.
They lied to him. They said they were adopting him when they actually put him in a conservatorship. And when it happened, he wasn't a multi-millionaire, he was a kid who thought they genuinely cared about him. Now, all these years later, he's left thinking all they really cared about was getting him to OM and money. He thought he was family, now he just feels used.

At least, that's my take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back