Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
August 23, 1784,

Four counties in western North Carolina declare their independence as the state of Franklin. The counties lay in what would eventually become Tennessee.

The previous April, the state of North Carolina had ceded its western land claims between the Appalachian Mountains and the Mississippi River to the United States Congress. The settlers in this area, known as the Cumberland River Valley, had formed their own independent government from 1772 to 1777 and were concerned that Congress would sell the territory to Spain or France as a means of paying off some of the government’s war debt. As a result, North Carolina retracted its cession and began to organize an administration for the territory.

Simultaneously, representatives from Washington, Sullivan, Spencer (modern-day Hawkins) and Greene counties declared their independence from North Carolina. The following May, the counties petitioned for statehood as “Frankland” to the United States Congress. A simple majority of states favored acceptance of the petition, but it fell short of the two-thirds majority needed to pass, even after the counties’ changed their proposed name to “Franklin” in an attempt to curry Benjamin Franklin’s and others’ favor.

In defiance of Congress, Franklin survived as an independent nation for four years with its own constitution, Indian treaties and legislated system of barter in lieu of currency, though after only two years, North Carolina set up its own parallel government in the region. Finally, Franklin’s weak economy forced its governor, John Sevier, to approach the Spanish for aid. North Carolina, terrified of having a Spanish client state on its border, arrested Sevier. When Cherokee, Chickamauga and Chickasaw began to attack settlements within Franklin’s borders in 1788, it quickly rejoined North Carolina to gain its militia’s protection from attack.

franklin.jpg
Honestly if they had stayed with Watauga (they were known as wataugans) for the state name it probably would've been passed for statehood. There's so much history in this region (a lot incorrectly put in the history books). This was actually a very rich region. Some of the wealthiest people lived in this area at the time because they bought so much land from the Cherokee, and the fur and steel trade was lucrative at the time.

Utah being down to their 3rd string qb isn’t much of an excuse given the fact they knew for 2+ weeks that would likely start. If they lose the game because of that, then their coaches didn’t do good enough of a job preparing him and getting a game plan in place for him
No matter how carefully and diligently you prepare a 💩 sandwich....it is still going to be a 💩 sandwich.

Let me as this because I'm curious.
ESPN FPI in an article I read had us at just over 8 wins.
Vegas has our O/U at 9.5
I've thought all off season 10-2 was our mark.
So, would you all be ok with 8-4 this year?

Vegas has our O/U at 9.5

I guess I would be "okay" with it in a way, but it would mean losing a game we really weren't supposed to - UGA, Bama, UF/AM/USC - two of those last 3.

That would suck.

You never really know how a season is going to unfold and play out, but I am expecting to win every game or be in a position to win every game we play in and if we happen to lose a couple then that's okay.

I don't mind being beat... I don't want to beat ourselves or have the game stolen from us in some VBS way.

I guess I would be "okay" with it in a way, but it would mean losing a game we really weren't supposed to - UGA, Bama, UF/AM/USC - two of those last 3.

That would suck.

You never really know how a season is going to unfold and play out, but I am expecting to win every game or be in a position to win every game we play in and if we happen to lose a couple then that's okay.

I don't mind being beat... I don't want to beat ourselves or have the game stolen from us in some VBS way.
My thing is. I think we have a lot of experience returning. 9 games on our schedule I view is kind of soft..... I know AM has talent but I'm not sure they're ever going to play as a team so I will believe it when I see it. And the Bama and UGA are self explanatory.

I think no matter how bad your kicker is, your odds of making a 55fg are higher than a hail Mary. A lot of times my criticism is time management leading up to it. What could the coach have done on that drive to make it a 45 yarder instead of a 55?

I'm kinda surprised to google and find that hail marys have around a 10% success rate. I believe that's an NFL stat though.

Vegas has our O/U at 9.5

7-5 and below - failure
8-4 - disappointment
9-3 - acceptable
10-2 - good season
11-1 - excellent season
12-0 - build the damn statue

9-3 just seems right to me for some reason, even though I won't love it. Too many games where we could stumble and lose, plus two games that will be very difficult to win even with good performances in @ Bama and UGA. There's just always a chance that you run into a team that's playing lights out on a particular day, especially on the road in the SEC.

Thankfully, the A&M game is at home. That helps a lot.

Assuming Leary stays healthy, Kentucky will be a better team that what we saw last season. Not sure if their win total will reflect that improvement, but Leary is a huge upgrade over Levis.

Not if the OL is still terrible which seems to be what ppl forget. It was the worst in the conference. Vandy had a better OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back