Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But you can't say someone is the greatest sprinter ever just because he sets the world record at one event once. Was Maurice Green the greatest sprinter ever because he set the world record once at the 100m in 1999? Or was Michael Johnson still the greatest given the totality of his career achievements?

Greatness is about a body of work. It takes time. You don't get it because you display more talent than anyone else in history just once. Usain Bolt didn't become the greatest sprinter of all-time after his first record breaking sprint. He became the greatest after dominating multiple international tournaments in a row. Setting record after record.

I love that you just got through admonishing me for lack of reading comprehension and then swapped out my use of "fastest" for the more nebulous "greatest". I chose my words carefully.

And actually yes regarding Bolt. Consistency is nice but if Bolt had started his career running a 9.58 and retired everyone in the sprinting world would have been in his shadow. That's STILL .11 faster than anyone else has ever run. Someone could pile up a decade of gold medals and the conversation would still eventually come back to how that person's times compared to that 9.58. That's because WR are absolutes, particularly if they're way out in front of everyone else. Bad example on your part.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that some sports value "body of work" more than others and football does that moreso than track. Changes nothing about the simple fact that if you're going to dub someone the "Michael Jordan of football." you're saying they're good enough to be just that. I know it, you know it.

I'm also sick of chasing this all over the place. Looks like Josh will be playing tonight so let's just go with what we see there. For better or worse (hopefully better) that'll at least be something tangible.
Steve Harvey Lol GIF by Digg - Find & Share on GIPHY.gif

@Enki_Amenra Dobbs rushing yards 23.5

passing yards opened at 161.5 and is down to 158.5

Dobbs over .5 interceptions got hammered and now it's 1.5

Dobbs passing TDs over .5 -130

what do we think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I love that you just got through admonishing me for lack of reading comprehension and then swapped out my use of "fastest" for the more nebulous "greatest". I chose my words carefully.

And actually yes regarding Bolt. Consistency is nice but if Bolt had started his career running a 9.58 and retired everyone in the sprinting world would have been in his shadow. That's STILL .11 faster than anyone else has ever run. Someone could pile up a decade of gold medals and the conversation would still eventually come back to how that person's times compared to that 9.58. That's because WR are absolutes, particularly if they're way out in front of everyone else. Bad example on your part.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that some sports value "body of work" more than others and football does that moreso than track. Changes nothing about the simple fact that if you're going to dub someone the "Michael Jordan of football." you're saying they're good enough to be just that. I know it, you know it.

I'm also sick of chasing this all over the place. Looks like Josh will be playing tonight so let's just go with what we see there. For better or worse (hopefully better) that'll at least be something tangible.

giphy.gif

I am still pissed about Titans last year. What a train wreck. Thought we would at least have a 2-3 year window
I look for them to draft Tannehills successor this year. They got Willis as a "hopeful" draft pick more than anything else. There was a reason he dropped in the draft and they got him relatively cheap for a QB but they did trade a couple of draft picks to move up and get him. The impressive draft record of Jon Robinson is a big reason he is no longer there and Willis is a prime example.

LOL. Yeah...I should have known better than to go through the looking glass with D4H, particularly as it regards his prognostications. I'm detaching myself from that nonsense.

I assumed that was what it was, but I was also worried a crazy person was wandering around arguing with themselves.

It’s a mass exodus at Memphis. 3 of their best players just entered the portal within minutes. I don’t like to use the term “poverty program” but if there is a definition for it, Memphis is a firm example. There is no money at that school to compete with NIL.
But, But..............The NIL helps with parity. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
It’s a mass exodus at Memphis. 3 of their best players just entered the portal within minutes. I don’t like to use the term “poverty program” but if there is a definition for it, Memphis is a firm example. There is no money at that school to compete with NIL.
There's about to be a whole new crop of portal entrants as these bowl games continue to play out.

I think our defense needs to utilize the Mike LB more when they are set in a pro type backfield and bring the CB's up and press on the outside eye of their WR's and TE. We can expose the arm strength of the QB and the lack of blocking ability of their backs, I've done film study........... I was just playing expert football fan for a second....._.jpeg

I can't stand the Titans but I respect the hell out of Dobbs. I will be watching and pulling for him tonight. Hopefully I get a little joy out of the NFL season....it's been hard being a Broncos fan the past couple of years.

Question for you nice fellas: So the Amazon Prime Video ad says the Titans game starts at 7 but the Score app says 8:15..Which one is the correct time?😙

I can't stand the Titans but I respect the hell out of Dobbs. I will be watching and pulling for him tonight. Hopefully I get a little joy out of the NFL season....it's been hard being a Broncos fan the past couple of years.
It's been hard being a Pro Football fan. At least one or two penalties every set of downs and it's "under review" on every other pass.

Reactions: ugg
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back