Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec. 30, 1972 HOUSTON —Bluebonnet Bowl

Vols - 24
LSU - 17

Condredge Holloway turned in his most electrifying performance of the season, completing 11 of 19 passes for 94 yards and rushing for 74 yards on 19 carries, to lead the Vols past SEC rival LSU 24-17 in the 1972 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl. Holloway, who was named the game’s outstanding player, led the Vols to a 24-3 halftime lead, scoring twice and throwing a touchdown pass to tight end Jimmy Young. Known as the “Artful Dodger,” Holloway kept the Tigers off balance the first 30 minutes and left Vol fans wondering what might be ahead for the diminutive signal-caller. Things got tense for the Vols in the second half as LSU All-America quarterback Bert Jones led the Tigers to two second half scores. Jones was threatening a third when All-America and senior defensive back Conrad Graham cleanly broke up a fourth down pass at the Vol 10 to preserve the victory. Tennessee’s Carl Johnson was named the defensive player of the game. The game finished a 31-5 composite record for the Vol senior class.

SCORING SUMMARY
LSU — Jackson 29 FG
TENN — Young 6 pass from Holloway (Townsend kick)
TENN — Holloway 15 run (Townsend kick)
TENN — Townsend 33 FG
TENN — Holloway 10 run (Townsend kick)
LSU — Jones 2 run (Jackson kick)
LSU — Davis 1 run (Jackson kick)

61170bcf79851.image.jpg
Weird playing a conference foe in a bowl game.

I think it's way past time for the NFL to set up a model like MLB. Let kids who have no desire to be in a college classroom go straight to the league via a minor league. Yeah, I know that's what CFB is right now, but just end the pretense about tying play to the classroom. Kid doesn't want an education, so be it. Head to the league and give it your best shot. Likely won't eliminate every example of this, but it would make it a lot less likely IMO.

I get the premise, but unless there's a minor league system developed, 99.9% of high school kids are no where near physically or skillfully mature enough to play or make an impact in the NFL.

If you go college to play baseball, don't you have to stay three years? I think that is the case.
You have to stay three years in football as well. It’s three years past high school I think is the rule so someone like Byron Young…. You can leave earlier but the majority are there for three years.

It's about balancing the needs of humans and nature. Either extreme is wrong.

We are the caretakers of what has been given to us. We shouldn't care for nature to the detriment of humanity but we should be good stewards of the resources that we have been given. All resources are not equal and accordingly we should value them as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back