Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy that has been a 2 year starter and was second in the SEC in Rushing TD's this year??? Doubt it

4.7 ypc isn't exactly good especially with our OL this year. Most of these TD's are goal line scores where the defense wasn't in goal line formation due to our tempo.

Reactions: VolNash17
If you just simply give Wright the 11 extra carries that Small had over Wright this year, and you average in what Wrights YPC is, then Wright gets within 60 yards of 1k. Heupel may not go the bell cow route often and does like to rotate, but history shows you can be a 1k rusher in this offense.

Also have to factor in QB carries. Hooker had 104 this year and 166 last year, Milton and likely Nico both will run less often than Hooker.

quick rundown of who has jumped into the portal

SOPHOMORE WIDE RECEIVER WALKER MERRILL
REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN RJ PERRY
REDSHIRT FRESHMAN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN WILLIAM PARKER
REDSHIRT FRESHMAN TIGHT END MILES CAMPBELL
REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE RUNNINGB BACK LEN’NETH WHITEHEAD
FRESHMAN RUNNING BACK JUSTIN WILLIAMS-THOMAS
REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE WIDE RECEIVER JIMMY CALLOWAY
FRESHMAN DEFENSIVE LINEMAN JORDAN PHILLIPS
REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE WIDE RECEIVER JIMMY HOLIDAY

9 thus far, compared to:

View attachment 529003
Also, with the way they count, we'd be at 11 because they would count Savion Herring and LJD.

Reactions: JT3 and MoCo_Vol

9 thus far, compared to:

View attachment 529003
Crisis is a matter of perspective. 🤔

11 total if you add in Savion Herring & LJD

Green = already committed to new schools.

4.7 ypc isn't exactly good especially with our OL this year. Most of these TD's are goal line scores where the defense wasn't in goal line formation due to our tempo.
What world are you living in that averaging nearly 5 yds per carry isn't good? This ain't HS ball we're talking about, this is SEC ball.

Yeah, Wright averaged 6 but that had a lot to do with those long runs he had against a bad Vandy team.

I have no doubt the young backs (and Wright if he stays) will contribute but saying that our Sr RB who has been the most consistent RB for us on the roster the last 2 years will get lost in the shuffle is a bold take that I don't think is remotely possible.

Last edited:
Demarea Crockett had 1k in 2016 under Heupel at Mizzou.
Ish Witter had 1k in 2017 under Heupel at Mizzou.

Both players overlapped. Crockett was a freshman in 2016 and took a step back in 2017 (injury?), Witter was a junior in 2016 and became primary in 2017 as a senior. Heupel likes to rotate backs, but if there's a dominant runner he feeds them.

Edit: So if you're keeping score at home - Heupel has three 1k rushers since 2016 (3/7 years). Tennessee has zero as a school in that time. I'm not Nostradamus but I think he will have a few more 1k rushers in the next 7 years.
I didn’t count his time as OC bc that has a lot to do with the head coach as well…. I also didn’t say that we wouldn’t be able to get to 1,000 yds just that it’s difficult bc of splitting Carries…. 2 of the 3 that you mentioned averaged close to 7 yds or more per carry.

What world are you living in that averaging nearly 5 yds per carry isn't good? This ain't HS ball we're talking about, this is SEC ball.

Yeah, Wright averaged 6 but that had a lot to do with those long runs he had on a bad Vandy team.

I have no doubt the young backs (and Wright if he stays) will contribute but saying that our Sr RB who has been the most consistent RB for us on the roster the last 2 years will get lost in the shuffle is a bold take that I don't think is remotely possible.
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 11-01-44 2022 Player Statistics.png

He's the only SEC RB with 10+ rushing TD's with less than 5 ypc. It's also worth noting he has the least amount of carries on here.

6 of his TD's came within 1 yard from the endzone. 10 of them came within 5 yards from the endzone. Of the remaining 3 - only 2 came outside of 10 yards. If you don't think this production is easily replaceable I don't know what to tell you. His scoring is a product of our tempo + defense not being in goal line formation.

He's a mid-tier back. I can promise you he wouldn't be starting at any other top SEC team this past season.

View attachment 529005

He's the only SEC RB with 10+ rushing TD's with less than 5 ypc. It's also worth noting he has the least amount of carries on here.

6 of his TD's came within 1 yard from the endzone. 10 of them came within 5 yards from the endzone. Of the remaining 3 - only 2 came outside of 10 yards. If you don't think this production is easily replaceable I don't know what to tell you. His scoring is a product of our tempo + defense not being in goal line formation due to our tempo.
I agree… Tank Bigsby is a beast behind that crappy auburn line. Tennessee could replace small pretty easily. Solid player but most coaches would tell you the same after comparing running backs and line movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back