Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever is in charge of tampering with players on other teams for us is not doing a good enough job IMO.

@WillAtSpyre - If you guys need help with that, I have some free time on my hands.....
Heup says we are good at DB.

3rd string CB from Georgia calls and says we offered 1 million billion dollars and he wants to commit

Heup asks who offered you

3rd string corner says he was purple, fuzzy, and offered Newdz

Heup: d$mn it @Weezer.

What world are you living in that averaging nearly 5 yds per carry isn't good? This ain't HS ball we're talking about, this is SEC ball.

Yeah, Wright averaged 6 but that had a lot to do with those long runs he had against a bad Vandy team.

I have no doubt the young backs (and Wright if he stays) will contribute but saying that our Sr RB who has been the most consistent RB for us on the roster the last 2 years will get lost in the shuffle is a bold take that I don't think is remotely possible.

This also isn't the NFL, 4.7 YPC was only good enough for 23rd in the SEC. Wright's YPC was good enough for 7th.

I love Small, but he's not really RB1 at this level. He saw more field time because he's the best pass protector of the RBs we had.

View attachment 529005

He's the only SEC RB with 10+ rushing TD's with less than 5 ypc. It's also worth noting he has the least amount of carries on here.

6 of his TD's came within 1 yard from the endzone. 10 of them came within 5 yards from the endzone. Of the remaining 3 - only 2 came outside of 10 yards. If you don't think this production is easily replaceable I don't know what to tell you. His scoring is a product of our tempo + defense not being in goal line formation.

He's a mid-tier back. I can promise you he wouldn't be starting at any other top SEC team this past season.
he has mainly been our short yardage back….what would is ypc be if those were taken out?

This had to of made coaching 100 times less enjoyable. It’s so hard for a coach and assistants to put in so much time and effort every year 365.
Do you see some changes coming?

More players portaling? Yes. Players get disgruntled, express their grievances and coaches either encourage them to continue to develop and compete hard in the spring or tell them they're likely to see more PT elsewhere. Players know that every position is a competition. They either take the coaching, work hard and do everything they're asked, like Hyatt, Tillman and HH, or they seek more PT or $$ elsewhere. Some guys just want the easier path, and some have people in their ear telling them they can "build their brand" better elsewhere. Caveat emptor to those who buy what others are selling.

This also isn't the NFL, 4.7 YPC was only good enough for 23rd in the SEC. Wright's YPC was good enough for 7th.

I love Small, but he's not really RB1 at this level. He saw more field time because he's the best pass protector of the RBs we had.
Take away the candy game and Wright only averaged .3 yds more per carry….. They made a good one-two punch…..Small more reliable in everything he does….. Wright more explosive.

Take away the big runs against Vandy and Wright's numbers are more pedestrian than Small's. He had 5 rushes for 160 in that game which GREATLY inflated his stats

I have actually been there. Not ridden the train, but there is a pedestrian bridge across the gorge. We also white water rafted the river. Fun times.
My Dad took us up there twice on trips to Colorado when we lived in the Texas panhandle...I don't know if you still can, but they had a chairlift you could ride to the bottom back then and we did that too. It was one of my Dad's favorite places.

he has mainly been our short yardage back….what would is ypc be if those were taken out?

Most of his short yard opportunities are a result of us landing a big shot that was short of the endzone. We hurry up to the goal line and jam it in while the opponent still has 5-6 DB's in. I wouldn't necessarily refer to him as our short yardage back because of that. He plays the most so naturally he gets the most redzone carries. Wright benefits off this as well.

If you took out his short yardage TD runs he'd still be under 5 ypc.

If people cannot see that Wright was the much more effective runner, well...

Wright got less carries because he put the ball on the ground more and Small was better at pass pro.

I will be glad when this situation no longer exists. We need RBs that can do it all like with other elite programs. The program and team deserve that. I see that in Sampson as he develops since he got better at pass pro later in the season and will add good weight this offseason. I hope to see it in others.

Take away the big runs against Vandy and Wright's numbers are more pedestrian than Small's. He had 5 rushes for 160 in that game which GREATLY inflated his stats
That’s what good backs do. They get yards and play hard. Hate when people say well take away a game. Like when trying to talk about our defense. You look at a whole seasons work and then compare. It’s not wrong to say that Wright and Sampson are bigger threats and have more potential. It’s the truth. Doesn’t mean small is a bad back. He is a good player.

4.7 ypc isn't exactly good especially with our OL this year. Most of these TD's are goal line scores where the defense wasn't in goal line formation due to our tempo.
Wouldn't goal line scores bring his YPC down? You can't have it both ways. Small is a good RB. Not sure why TN fans want to tear down our own players.

Take away the candy game and Wright only averaged .3 yds more per carry….. They made a good one-two punch…..Small more reliable in everything he does….. Wright more explosive.
and neither will be drafted. Talent wise Sampson clears both and has a much higher ceiling. Seldon could potentially be the best we have next year.

My point is Wright/ Small leaving wouldn't be that bad if their replacements, while inexperienced, are much more talented. It would raise the ceiling of our offense.

Last edited:
Wouldn't goal line scores bring his YPC down? You can't have it both ways. Small is a good RB. Not sure why TN fans want to tear down our own players.
Take away his short yardage TD's and he's around 4.8 ypc. I'm not trying to tear him down, just acknowledging we could be a lot better at the RB position.

Fact...but it's also a fact that he had those runs and Small didn't manage any. I like them both, and I wish they would stay

Heup says we are good at DB.

3rd string CB from Georgia calls and says we offered 1 million billion dollars and he wants to commit

Heup asks who offered you

3rd string corner says he was purple, fuzzy, and offered Newdz

Heup: d$mn it @Weezer.
Coach loves my nudz.

And I'm not chasing 3rd string DBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back