Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. It's still a mystery to me. That was a massive 'outlier' compared to all other games. I still don't understand why.
I understand why, I posted all the factors the other day...it was just a perfect 💩storm where everything went sideways because of those factors...pretty much it.

I don't understand why if a perfect 💩storm that has several different factors that have to add up for it to happen is going to happen....it always happens to us 🤷‍♂️

i think this is, potentially, the biggest problem a lot of these kids will have. really understanding who to listen to and why.

Agreed. When a player thinks his "value" should be higher than someone else's, and he has people fueling that expectation for whatever reason, it doesn't always work out to the player's advantage. UT has several guys in this position right now. Schools taking a "you go, you're gone" stance would take away the safety net and make portal fishing less enticing. But the best players know where they're going or have a shortlist, so the paperwork is just a formality.

Wouldn't goal line scores bring his YPC down? You can't have it both ways. Small is a good RB. Not sure why TN fans want to tear down our own players.

I wonder how many *potential* passing touchdowns were just a yard short this year for Hendo:Milton, seems like a dozen times we went deep and the receiver had to change body direction just enough to fall down at the 1 or 2 yard line…. Then tempo, rushing touchdown.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if at the end of the day during the " portal era " you don't have at least a 10% to 20% turn over in your average roster. Players will try and find greener pastures which means either more money or less competition for playing time. College is just the means to the end, like minor leagues are in baseball. Some make it....most don't.

Just some thoughts since NIL keeps coming up...

I think it's embarrassing that we don't have 2,000 members in the Volunteer Club yet. Between the big 3 fan sites that we have, we should easily have 5,000 by now. We've barely tapped the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this fanbase overall.

From a program perspective, we are still in a great spot. We still have a great coach, we still have great players, the program isn't going to tank or anything like that. But we did squander an opportunity that we had for a 2-year window, that very few other programs had, to get a huge head start in NIL.

Maybe it's for the best, with what's happening with A&M and Miami. At the very least we are established in the NIL era to remain among the top 25 programs. I do think we are doing it the right way by trying to get our entire fanbase onboard, as opposed to leaning on one or just a few big name boosters. In due time I think we will have a large membership in the Vol Club.

I think we all know that with our fanbase and passion, there is no excuse for us not to be the top 5-10 NIL from here on out.

Take away the candy game and Wright only averaged .3 yds more per carry….. They made a good one-two punch…..Small more reliable in everything he does….. Wright more explosive.

So take away Wright's game against Vandy, but not Small's? Small without the Vandy game averaged just 4.5 YPC.

I think the big thing is Wright needs to become a better pass blocker and threat out of the backfield if he's going to get more plays in game. That's the only area where Small was more reliable and thus on the field more often.

Heal fast and enjoy your time off! I've had it twice that I know of-- different symptoms each time.
Do you have insight on what positions the coaches are looking at in the portal, or is it just a "anybody who can improve the team and fit our culture" approach?

Just some thoughts since NIL keeps coming up...

I think it's embarrassing that we don't have 2,000 members in the Volunteer Club yet. Between the big 3 fan sites that we have, we should easily have 5,000 by now. We've barely tapped the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this fanbase overall.

From a program perspective, we are still in a great spot. We still have a great coach, we still have great players, the program isn't going to tank or anything like that. But we did squander an opportunity that we had for a 2-year window, that very few other programs had, to get a huge head start in NIL.

Maybe it's for the best, with what's happening with A&M and Miami. At the very least we are established in the NIL era to remain among the top 25 programs. I do think we are doing it the right way by trying to get our entire fanbase onboard, as opposed to leaning on one or just a few big name boosters. In due time I think we will have a large membership in the Vol Club.

I think we all know that with our fanbase and passion, there is no excuse for us not to be the top 5-10 NIL from here on out.
Yeah I’ve been super surprised that the number of Spyre donors isn’t higher. I mean, you can join for less than a dollar a day…

So take away Wright's game against Vandy, but not Small's? Small without the Vandy game averaged just 4.5 YPC.

I think the big thing is Wright needs to become a better pass blocker and threat out of the backfield if he's going to get more plays in game. That's the only area where Small was more reliable and thus on the field more often.

I think these stats are telling. Coach Hype's system has typically produced RBs with much higher YPC averages.

If people cannot see that Wright was the much more effective runner, well...

Wright got less carries because he put the ball on the ground more and Small was better at pass pro.

I will be glad when this situation no longer exists. We need RBs that can do it all like with other elite programs. The program and team deserve that. I see that in Sampson as he develops since he got better at pass pro later in the season and will add good weight this offseason. I hope to see it in others.
I definitely want to get better but we did average almost 200 yds rushing per game with one of the toughest schedules in the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back