Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't want to admit it, but more games will be like this with expanded playoffs. It's a really stupid idea.
I think the point is to get the actual two best teams in the finals which won't happen very often with the current format. Too much emphasis put on records even when teams obviously barely got by several games all year (TCU) or didn't play any major competition (ohio state and michigan).

Expanded playoff would allow those extra teams like Alabama and Tennessee to get in who knocked each other off in the regular season.

I think the point is to get the actual two best teams in the finals which won't happen very often with the current format. Too much emphasis put on records even when teams obviously barely got by several games all year (TCU) or didn't play any major competition (ohio state and michigan).

Expanded playoff would allow those extra teams like Alabama and Tennessee to get in who knocked each other off in the regular season.
Not really. The same bias that caused people to not recognize the SEC as a level above all conferences except a few teams (Ohio State and Michigan) will have the SEC teams seeded against each other. We’d just knock ourselves out again and potentially face a fraud that got hot/lucky again. I am only in favor of an expanded playoff if they shorten the regular season significantly. Some of these kids are playing too many games.

Agree with all of that mostly but you know Small is back right? He won’t go from 1a to sitting on the bench. Of the three I think Sampson has the highest ceiling and Wright is better at a lot of things, but Small doesn’t mess up. He won’t be shunned like that
Yes, like I said some were personal preference but didn’t think it would actually happen. Small is one of those.

100% the opposite. It is proof of exactly why it needs to be expanded.......with expansion, this never would have been the championship game.
The issue with your logic is the bias in the seeding. It's why we rarely get the two best teams in the basketball tournament or even the NFL playoffs. Many times the best teams are on the same side of the draw. They still clash and eliminate each other and by chance the one great team on the other side has a bad game and gets upset. Hockey is a great example due to the physical nature and attrition of players during the playoffs. Last years match-up between Tampa and Colorado was one of the first times the past decade where the two best teams played. The year prior all of the top teams in the west were upset early and a woeful Montreal played a dominant TB in the final. It was laughable. Dallas did the same thing a year prior to that. Those two teams had no business being there. The only thing the playoff guarantees is viewership and excitement for the fans.

100% the opposite. It is proof of exactly why it needs to be expanded.......with expansion, this never would have been the championship game.
I'll say this luther, I am in agreement with your theory as long as the top 4 from each conference are aligned in separate parts of the bracket. Then they would only face each other in the semi-final (or earlier if a conference had 5-6 teams get in).

AP hinted multiple times that Heup could promote analyst Alec Abeln for TE coach.

Any names for TE Coach?
What does Heup want to do? Is Farris in play? Does he promote someone like Alec Abeln like he did Pope? Does he look at someone from NFL?
How would you feel about another promotion?
Difference is Abe hasn’t been on field at any level. Kelsey had run a room at smaller levels. Alec also hasn’t recruited so I think it would be a more difficult transition.
Likelihood of them promoting from within for TE coach? Would think they would want a proven recruiter?
Imo I’d want a recruiter. Doesn’t mean they don’t just promote tho.
Abeln a legit possibility in your minds?
Wouldn’t discount it

That doesn't really surprise me. Many of the main drugs used to treat bipolar, schizophrenia, anxiety and depression etc are off-label uses. There are probably more that were developed for other things (like gabapentin for ALS) than there are those that were actually developed and approved for those conditions. Tramadol is the one I'd think of first after gabapentin as being most associated with pain relief but a huge number of drugs, especially anti-seizure drugs would fall there too. (On a related note - I wonder what the percentage of drugs developed and approved for one condition but used for completely unrelated ones is? My guess would be that it's shockingly high given the way the FDA approval process works).

And I agree with you 1000 percent, it is an absolute shame that we haven't done much in the way of ALS.

I don't think anyone should take gabapentin and drive (I'm not really arguing against that or didn't mean to if it read that way) but I also think changing the scheduling because it was more recently prescribed alongside opiods and opiates is dumb but beyond that it's bad for a number of reasons. Going from an easily accessible drug that a lot of people use for varying conditions to one that requires you to see a doctor once a month, goes into the various RX counts and point systems that states are instituting with how many of x can be prescribed, and subjects patients to a high level of scrutiny, missed worked, and financial distress is absolutely an unwarranted burden that is unfair to both patients and doctors.

We know where the recreational and abuse deaths are coming from and it's not from regular people trying to access medications that make their lives better. As you mentioned in your other post, things like fentanyl by way of China is a major culprit and a lot of those deaths were related to casual users thinking they were taking oxycodone or hydrocodone because only to OD because it's actually fentanyl that had been pressed to look like a different legitimate medication.

We've done this with so many drugs so many times with almost universally the same results and now with much of it focused on drugs used for legitimate purposes the stupidity is affecting a lot more people in more ways than in years past. And the fact that we are criminalizing medicine is morally offensive.

There's got to be more sanity than our current model of regulate, make things worse for patients and deadly for users, regulate, make things worse for patients and more deadly for users.

The federal rules are mandatory appointments minimum of 1 every 3 months and a urine drug screen 1 every six months. We only do the minimum, unless there’s a failed drug screen or the patient needs to be seen more frequently for a specific reason.
Some clinics make it a mandatory monthly appointment and more frequent urine drug screens. Those places are scared of having licenses suspended, or jmo look at it as an easy way to keep full clinics. Same thing with the urine tests.
We did the urine drug screens in office as a safeguard, but it turned out to be another easy way for the government agencies to initiate an audit…Medicare audit is worse than an IRS audit. We shut down our lab and are now having problems with patients not following through with the federally mandated urine drug tests. I’m having to take a hard line to get the troublemakers to get the testing done. I could be suspended or even lose my license if they don’t. Yet another helpful example of our federal government vilifying the healthcare workers.
For the first time in my career, I cannot wait to retire. I’m now counting down the days. It’s really sad. 😐

The issue with your logic is the bias in the seeding. It's why we rarely get the two best teams in the basketball tournament or even the NFL playoffs. Many times the best teams are on the same side of the draw. They still clash and eliminate each other and by chance the one great team on the other side has a bad game and gets upset. Hockey is a great example due to the physical nature and attrition of players during the playoffs. Last years match-up between Tampa and Colorado was one of the first times the past decade where the two best teams played. The year prior all of the top teams in the west were upset early and a woeful Montreal played a dominant TB in the final. It was laughable. Dallas did the same thing a year prior to that. Those two teams had no business being there. The only thing the playoff guarantees is viewership and excitement for the fans.
It's not perfect but it is much better.
Plus, viewership and fan excitement are sort of what it's all about.
It makes the regular season better and it makes the playoffs better......win/win......but still not perfect.

AP hinted multiple times that Heup could promote analyst Alec Abeln for TE coach.

Any names for TE Coach?

How would you feel about another promotion?

Likelihood of them promoting from within for TE coach? Would think they would want a proven recruiter?

Abeln a legit possibility in your minds?

I’m good with this. After watching the coaching carousel around Knoxville the past ~15 years, and comparing it to the preceding ~30 years, I believe coaching stability and coaching staffs that know one another and have worked together for long periods of time are best, all things considered. You can learn to recruit.

Yep! This game is exactly why the playoff has to expand. You weed out the crap trams and get the best teams.

This. Plus eventually talent will even out because when recruits do not think they have to go to 5 or 6 teams to have a chance to get to the playoffs.

Something Jacob Hester brought up prior to the game last night was that TCU had 3 weeks to prepare for Michigan and scheme things for that game. They didn't have that luxury against Georgia. It's the same theory on how Ohio State hit Georgia early. Urban Meyer used to be the king of the extra time to fool the bowl opponent. If the playoff is expanded, they need to play it immediately after the season ends. This will eliminate weird upsets in the first game. Of course, conference champs would be a huge disadvantage so I feel they should automatically get a bye.

Something Jacob Hester brought up prior to the game last night was that TCU had 3 weeks to prepare for Michigan and scheme things for that game. They didn't have that luxury against Georgia. It's the same theory on how Ohio State hit Georgia early. Urban Meyer used to be the king of the extra time to fool the bowl opponent. If the playoff is expanded, they need to play it immediately after the season ends. This will eliminate weird upsets in the first game. Of course, conference champs would be a huge disadvantage so I feel they should automatically get a bye.
I don’t enjoy games like last night but the beauty of college sports is the upsets.

I think this game is exhibit a as to why expanding the playoff is dumb.
so you want the same 4 teams every year? So when other teams with similar records/credentials are right there, you want to let a group of misfits decide who they are going to put in for the 4 teams? I do not think 4 teams needs to continue. You want Ga or Al to be 7 time defending champion

so you want the same 4 teams every year? So when other teams with similar records/credentials are right there, you want to let a group of misfits decide who they are going to put in for the 4 teams? I do not think 4 teams needs to continue. You want Tn or Tn to be 7 time defending champion
Yes

Reactions: PYSCHO
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back