Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My assumption is that some of them want to get that experience of being on a P5 campus. The training, the facilities, the coaching, etc. to see what it really takes to play at that level.

And with the free transfer Jackson after a full season at UT is a more desirable QB prospect to G5 or lower level P5 schools than he would have been straight out of HS (imo at least).
I see that.
Me personally...........I'd rather be at the same place all 4 years. Light it up at a school like Memphis or FAU, for example.

I wouldn't mind getting an underrated HS QB. Jury still out on Gaston and Navy imo. One of them may suffice though.

I mean Navy was a top 100 pro-style QB in his class and a top 100 NC prospect.

Personally I like the idea of trying to land a '23 QB for NSD that was under the radar. Hard to attract a portal QB that will think they got a shot here behind Milton/Nico and at least the HS kid has 5 years to play 4 and if Nico balls out you can sell the that you could be our starter entering your 4th year of school with 2 years to play.

I'm saying Heupel might be. He's not going to pull a great QB from the portal to come and sit behind Milton and then Nico.

We don't need a great QB though. We need a Paul Tyson type. Someone who will be happy to be on scholarship but good enough to be decent if called upon if pressed into action. If Gaston or Navy is that guy then we should be good.

I see that.
Me personally...........I'd rather be at the same place all 4 years. Light it up at a school like Memphis or FAU, for example.

Oh I agree completely...and if my son was a 3 star QB with some P5 schools offering I'd tell him to think about just that long and hard. I'd say Memphis & MTSU are FBS schools with great programs you could be starting at in year 2, or you could compete to start next season at Austin Peay, Chattanooga, ETSU, TN State or TN Tech.

Tayven also knows how much money is behind Nico coming to and succeeding at Tennessee. Even if he thought he could compete for the job, he knew it wasn't really going to be a fair fight anyways. Nico has to be set up to win in every way.

He has to build some tape if he has NFL hopes (which I'm sure he does as a 4 star qb coming out of high school). No reason to act like he's a p*ssy for leaving, McGill.

way off topic....but The Peay's new area is looking good!

FmTc-CKXoCAVjEJ
You are where I sat for my sister’s graduation

Wasn't Gaston in the 3 spot for a good portion of this season, and he was even in the 2 spot for the last 2 games since Tayven had a broken collarbone?

That's bc he was next in line once Tavyen was injured. Maybe Gaston is good enough and we shouldn't worry. I just don't know. Potentially having only 2 scholarship QBs going into spring ball is not ideal.

Oh I agree completely...and if my son was a 3 star QB with some P5 schools offering I'd tell him to think about just that long and hard. I'd say Memphis & MTSU are FBS schools with great programs you could be starting at in year 2, or you could compete to start next season at Austin Peay, Chattanooga, ETSU, TN State or TN Tech.
Yep.....If you're good enough......NFL scouts will find you.

Different time and sport.....but that's exactly what I did. Small school so I could play immediately and not have to sit and watch for a couple three years.:)

There are two ways this could have went..he does not believe in himself...or he is just pragmatic enough to say to himself "I am not in his class as a QB"

I will concede the point that the second is probably true, but I thought the dude thought he had what it took to win the job. That us the way he always sounded to me. I am.just surprised he gave up that quick.

The situation is not ideal..if Milton goes down, we are stuck with a rail thin kid starting that is going to get broke in half by some of the monsters we have to play...Nico is not physically ready to start in the SEC imo...5* or not.
And this guy broke his collarbone in garbage minutes against a cupcake. Dobbs was never thick and was an iron man. Can’t engineer ideal. Did Jackson “give up” or did he see the coaching staff (understandably) continue to seek better options and decide to do the same for himself?

If we had to use our third qb for any meaningful duration the season would probably be tanked no matter what.
I think he would have served as the top backup this season unless Milton missed time in an attempt to redshirt Nico. Prolly for the best we ripped that band-aid off and let Nico get some garbage snaps to prepare for starting the next season. Less pretense.

I'll take Gaston Moore's three years of experience in Heupel's system over some underrated high school kid.

Fair point. Doesn't mean Gaston can actually play though. Wasnt he a walk-on at UCF?

Knowing the offense would greatly benefit him and maybe the staff is good with him moving forward. Their decision to add a QB or not will tell us all we need to know.

I think he would have served as the top backup this season unless Milton missed time in an attempt to redshirt Nico. Prolly for the best we ripped that band-aid off and let Nico get some garbage snaps to prepare for starting the next season. Less pretense.
Kinda doubt they would worry about redshirting Nico. If he was the second best option they'd make him the second best option. Just watching Tayven I can't imagine it would have taken very long for Nico to pass him on the depth chart.

Fair point. Doesn't mean Gaston can actually play though. Wasnt he a walk-on at UCF?

Knowing the offense would greatly benefit him and maybe the staff is good with him moving forward. Their decision to add a QB or not will tell us all we need to know.
Well we got to watch him play in the spring game and in garbage time and he looked like he knew what he was doing. Had a nice 17 yard pass against Ball State. Not a bad arm.

Two Georgia LBs just entered the portal. MJ Sherman, former 5*, and Trezmen Marshall, former 4*. Fingers crossed Georgia sees more attrition.
Let's hope the transfer portal and NIL make it to where UGA and Alabama will never again be able to stack their rosters 4-5 deep with top talent that's willing to wait their turn. That type of depth allows them to practice hard without worries and makes them be able to prepare for games better than anyone else. They'll still have the most talented roster...but they won't be able to afford to have several injuries and busts like they do now. That's one way I hadn't really thought of that NIL and the transfer portal can sort of level the playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back