Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Some of the smartest people that I've worked with in IT did not have a college degree. They were crazy problem solvers and had great jobs. They did classes (mostly online) later in life because a degree was a requirement for them to get a promotion or raise, or move into management/operations.

Some of the worst people I've ever come in contact with were in VP or higher roles because they knew someone, or their family knew someone, or they just rode a cash wave through the first 22 years of their life and got to reap the benefits of the connections/opportunities it bought them. College was an afterthought for their whole life and they just went because they "had to" and then they landed in a great job. I should add that a great majority of them were not qualified at all to have their job or lead people. Some of them weren't qualified to have a job at all.

I've really know executives that started on the shop floor, or door to door, or doing the job that nobody wanted to do, and made it to the top after decades. I don't think that's been a real possibility for Gen-X, Millennial, and now Gen Z.

Those first two examples that I brought up are admittedly outliers. A majority of Gen-X, Millennials, and now Gen Z just went/go to college because it was the next thing to do, and a requirement to have basically any job.

Trades should be embraced again, and taught earlier. Nothing wrong with identifying that a child or teen is more apt to excel in a trade.
You hit the nail on the head for me. Just because you have a college degree doesn't mean anything. In all honesty C's get degrees and getting a C is pretty much just showing up and turning in something.

Reactions: BigSteve09
Yeah, and we will bail out the banks who make the loans in a heartbeat. I’ve always paid off my debts, but there’s a lot more to this than just: “pay your bills.”
Yup, I worked through college, took out some loans to help with some things but all of them have no interest on them. Also, working your way through college isn't really a viable option anymore, costs have gone up and jobs haven't matched that with the pay.
We've got to stop putting young people head over heels into debt before they even get started.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
The irony of needing a degree to get a well paid job yet still not enough income to pay off a loan.
Maybe these universities need to lower their costs

Yet there is a massive need for skilled trade workers. Welders, HVAC, Electricians, Plumbers. Never enough of them, and good ones can earn a nice living. We need to encourage trade school attendance as much or more than traditional 4 year university. Teachers for example, should be able to get a Teaching Certificate in 2 years through community college.

Yet there is a massive need for skilled trade workers. Welders, HVAC, Electricians, Plumbers. Never enough of them, and good ones can earn a nice living. We need to encourage trade school attendance as much or more than traditional 4 year university. Teachers for example, should be able to get a Teaching Certificate in 2 years through community college.
Like you said, kids aren't pushed to these jobs. Everyone is told they need a degree in STEM to be able to do anything.

I wish they would talk more about this and emphasize this to students.

They're caught up in quantitative results. Grades, test scores, graduation rate, college acceptance rate. I think that grades and grad rate should always be emphasized, but this lean toward college and tests is out of control. Those things drive how much money they get, how much the admin are paid, the real estate in the area, grants, all sorts of stuff.

If a teacher told a student or class "Forget the 4-year university route guys, let's talk about welding and that path for you" they would get fired.

[QUOTE="Glitch, post: 22852423, member: 56763"]Yet there is a massive need for skilled trade workers. Welders, HVAC, Electricians, Plumbers. Never enough of them, and good ones can earn a nice living. We need to encourage trade school attendance as much or more than traditional 4 year university. Teachers for example, should be able to get a Teaching Certificate in 2 years through community college.[/QUOTE]

This is true
I own a concrete business and at 37 I’m still one of the youngest guys doing it
Nobody wants to work outside anymore either bc of heat, cold, rain, mud, snow, etc…. Personally I love it but

Like you said, kids aren't pushed to these jobs. Everyone is told they need a degree in STEM to be able to do anything.

I have a Bachelor's in Business Admin and an MBA with an emphasis in Personal Financial Planning. When I have a pipe leaking or my A/C quits working, I call somebody to come fix it because I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it. I agree that kids are told early on that if they don't go to university then they will never survive in the world today. They are doing kids a disservice. Pushing kids into careers where they end up being miserable, when they could be doing something that they really enjoy just because if you don't have a degree then the world acts like you are lesser than. It is ridiculous.

I wish they would talk more about this and emphasize this to students.

They're caught up in quantitative results. Grades, test scores, graduation rate, college acceptance rate. I think that grades and grad rate should always be emphasized, but this lean toward college and tests is out of control. Those things drive how much money they get, how much the admin are paid, the real estate in the area, grants, all sorts of stuff.

If a teacher told a student or class "Forget the 4-year university route guys, let's talk about welding and that path for you" they would get fired.

The things that you incentivize are the results that you tend to get.

I have a Bachelor's in Business Admin and an MBA with an emphasis in Personal Financial Planning. When I have a pipe leaking or my A/C quits working, I call somebody to come fix it because I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it. I agree that kids are told early on that if they don't go to university then they will never survive in the world today. They are doing kids a disservice. Pushing kids into careers where they end up being miserable, when they could be doing something that they really enjoy just because if you don't have a degree then the world acts like you are lesser than. It is ridiculous.
giphy.gif

The board is better with fake/real insiders…. It becomes a convoluted mess with people trying to discuss whether they are real or not… Everyone is able to determine on their own who they trust and who they ignore.

Oh I agree to an extent. Just always skeptical of newer users/insiders that might belong to another fanbase coming to troll.

The things that you incentivize are the results that you tend to get.
They're too caught up in optimizing action to maximize result. If "MOAR MONEY" is the thing written and circled maniacally on every whiteboard in every boardroom in America, then we're just asking for the wheels to fall off. Revenue doesn't have to be the new high score for everything. Schools are suffering because of this, trades are suffering because of this, the housing market will suffer because of this, and so on.

There's a happy medium, but making every decision based on spreadsheets is catching up.

I have a Bachelors in a health related field. That got me a job, I can do almost everything at my job, the stuff I can't do isn't school related just stuff I haven't had a chance to do yet. To get registered in my field which would open up many opportunities, I would have to go back and take 3 classes just because the governing board decided you had to have X amount of credit hours in each field before being able to sit for the test.
Mind you 10 years ago you could walk in the door work for 1 year do x amount of this and x amount of that then go sit for the test.
My question what's changed that now someone has to eat 30k in debt to get a job?

Glitch to be honest I didn't go to college I got a job at 16 in a restaurant washing dishes and by the time I was 22 I had worked up into Management and kept moving up the ladder. I left the company 5 years ago to health reasons and when I left I was an area manager overseeing 7 different Denny's in 3 differen states and I loved it. I can't write an essay worth a damn but can break a P&L down in my sleep.

VN Store

Back