Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Glitch to be honest I didn't go to college I got a job at 16 in a restaurant washing dishes and by the time I was 22 I had worked up into Management and kept moving up the ladder. I left the company 5 years ago to health reasons and when I left I was an area manager overseeing 7 different Denny's in 3 differen states and I loved it. I can't write an essay worth a damn but can break a P&L down in my sleep.

I am sorry. I have an MBA. Why are you speaking to me?

Just kidding. This is what I am talking about. Sometime hard work and experience is more than enough education. Part of the problem, as mentioned by another poster, is that there are a plethora of folks out there today that don't think they should have to work hard and should still get upper 5 or 6 digit salaries because they have a piece of paper from a university. No substitute for experience and willingness to roll up your sleeves in many career fields IMO.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Parents, schools, jobs, the US government. All you hear anywhere now is you can't do anything without a degree.
It is a stretch to say that jobs and the US government are pressuring kids. There is no interaction between the them. HCA isn’t sending your kids emails. Any pressure would be channeled through parents and to a lesser extent counselors and peers.

I think it is less about pressure and more about ambiguity and an absence of communication. Kids see their peers going to out of state schools without serious consideration for cost and assume that if no one is raising red flags it is normal. They assume they can take out 100k in loans and everything will be good. Ideally there would be some level-setting that takes place from conversations with school counselors, but that isn’t really realistic. They don’t know family financial situations. Families are failing their HS grads by not having the hard conversations with real numbers.

The student loan problem mostly isn’t about college/no college, it is staying away from the schools and situations that have poor or negative ROI.

General rules of thumb:
1. Without significant financial aid, it is very rarely a wise decision to go to a private college or out-of-state University for undergrad regardless of prestige or selectivity.
2. You should never go to a non-elite private college or OOS university without financial aid that would reduce the total cost in line with in-state options.
3. If you think there is a decent probability (imo 30%+) that you aren’t cut out for college and likely won’t graduate, don’t go or go to community college first. The people that are most negatively impacted by the high cost of college and student loans are the 40% that don’t graduate. That 40% number really hasn’t gone down either.
4. Don’t go to a for-profit college. College is largely signaling and for-profit schools are not sending the right signal.

😁 Hint to how I’m involved with baseball program. 🤣

200.gif

Kansas+City+Royals+tarp+rolling+fail.gif

It is a stretch to say that jobs and the US government are pressuring kids. There is no interaction between the them. HCA isn’t sending your kids emails. Any pressure would be channeled through parents and to a lesser extent counselors and peers.

I think it is less about pressure and more about ambiguity and an absence of communication. Kids see their peers going to out of state schools without serious consideration for cost and assume that if no one is raising red flags it is normal. They assume they can take out 100k in loans and everything will be good. Ideally there would be some level-setting that takes place from conversations with school counselors, but that isn’t really realistic. They don’t know family financial situations. Families are failing their HS grads by not having the hard conversations with real numbers.

The student loan problem mostly isn’t about college/no college, it is staying away from the schools and situations that have poor or negative ROI.

General rules of thumb:
1. Without significant financial aid, it is very rarely a wise decision to go to a private college or out-of-state University for undergrad regardless of prestige or selectivity.
2. You should never go to a non-elite private college or OOS university without financial aid that would reduce the total cost in line with in-state options.
3. If you think there is a decent probability (imo 30%+) that you aren’t cut out for college and likely won’t graduate, don’t go or go to community college first. The people that are most negatively impacted by the high cost of college and student loans are the 40% that don’t graduate. That 40% number really hasn’t gone down either.
4. Don’t go to a for-profit college. College is largely signaling and for-profit schools are not sending the right signal.
A lot of its about funding. Schools get more funding when they do certain things, right now it's pushing kids toward STEM. It might be parents and counselors on the surface level but when you dig deeper it's the government.
Same thing with jobs, want certain promotions or raises, gotta have whatever schooling they want.

I agree but someone shouldn’t have to have a job at 14 and manage a bud schedule to figure out how to get to the library to sift through an encyclopedias worth of information to learn these basic skills about hard life lessons they don’t know are awaiting them. Publically funded education exists for a reason and it should start there. Teach the right things there and they will know what’s truly important and be better equipped to direct their focus towards things that matter most. At the risk of shortening their innocence and childhood (which in other countries happens far earlier anyways), this is the way towards ensuring better quality of life for the masses.
I did just that. Dad left started working at 14 to ensure my mom could take care of my brothers. Taught me a lot of great things that I am teaching my family and other young people.
1. I don't have to have everything I want
2. An expensive house and nice cars are just anchors in your life.
3. Being moldable and willing to learn other positions makes you extremely valuable to a company and is more important than any degree.
4. College isn't for everyone but if it's for you work while you are there, you will appreciate it more.
5. Work a year or two in fields that interest you before college. Wasting multiple years to get a degree in something you will hate is something you will regret later.
6. Do what you love early in life and you can make a career out of it.
7. Most people think a degree makes someone an expert in that field. Many degree holders are simply educated idiots.
8. Do something that no one else wants to personally do and you'll retire a rich man or woman. Clean septic tanks, mow yards, etc.
9. Do hard things 3-5 times per week, it's good for your mental acuity.

You may add to the list if you would like.

Eh, we pay enough into the system over time. TBH college should be funded through the government but cut back on some of the useless degrees.
Disagree. It's like giving your kid a toy. If they break it and you get them another toy, they know they can treat it terrible and mom or dad will take care of it. But if they have to use their money to buy it, it means more to them. Until people stop wasting their time in a college with useless degrees the system will never be fixed.

Disagree. It's like giving your kid a toy. If they break it and you get them another toy, they know they can treat it terrible and mom or dad will take care of it. But if they have to use their money to buy it, it means more to them. Until people stop wasting their time in a college with useless degrees the system will never be fixed.
I get what you're saying, but I think you could attach strings that make it work if you get rid of some of the ridiculous degrees people get. Ex nursing...... you go to school to be a nurse you work x amount of years. If you quit before that you have to pay it back, if not then you don't owe anything. Then you can supplement the workforce of new and retiring as well.

This is HILARIOUS.
Just the way I am I guess. If I think someone might be full of it, I don't just nod and go along. I usually call them out and see if they get defensive. It's nothing serious at all.
I don’t post a ton on the board, but I am definitely reading all the time. Mr Peabody is probably one of 2-3 people I trust with the predictions. Not saying he’ll go 100% but he definitely seems to be legit. Just my opinion. He’ll also tell you when he doesn’t know anything. That’s usually not a trait a fake insider has.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I wish they would talk more about this and emphasize this to students.

They're caught up in quantitative results. Grades, test scores, graduation rate, college acceptance rate. I think that grades and grad rate should always be emphasized, but this lean toward college and tests is out of control. Those things drive how much money they get, how much the admin are paid, the real estate in the area, grants, all sorts of stuff.

If a teacher told a student or class "Forget the 4-year university route guys, let's talk about welding and that path for you" they would get fired.

Summary of a lecture I gave my kids 10 times:
"You don't go to college to get an education, you go to get a career. Employers don't pay you for what you know, they pay you for what you can do. So go to college to learn to do things that employers need done, otherwise don't bother."

I get what you're saying, but I think you could attach strings that make it work if you get rid of some of the ridiculous degrees people get. Ex nursing...... you go to school to be a nurse you work x amount of years. If you quit before that you have to pay it back, if not then you don't owe anything. Then you can supplement the workforce of new and retiring as well.
Taxpayers should not be footing the bill for people to go to college. Period.

VN Store

Back