Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

*educated guess

As with every conversation on this board, what’s the point if we aren’t both 100% confident that we alone have the correct perspective.
(1) You're the one that chided someone else because you thought they were 100% confident, now you seem to be saying "why have a debate if we don't both feel 100%?"
(2) The most beneficial discussions are when we are trying to ascertain the truth.

The history here:

1. What about this group? Anyone know about them?
2. Stated as fact: "They aren't who you think they are."
3. Really? Why? This is who they claim to be.
4. Yah, well that's wrong. This is who others claim them to be.
5. This is who I assumed them to be...

The questions remain.

Are they truly representatives within native peoples and their leadership?
Is the proposed history of the term true?
Do they have a right and reason to redeem the term?

That has to be sussed out as opposed to just assuming they aren't who they claim to be, assuming that their motives are a lie, and assuming that what others say about them is true.

Reactions: knoxvol52
If the name of a sports team has any tangible impact on your day to day life one way or another, please raise your hand.

If your hand is raised, you need a job or a hobby to consume your free time so that the name of a sports team no longer has any tangible impact on your day to day life one way or another.
I can buy that until I think of what this place would be like if they tried to change the name of the Vols…. It would make the schianamo look like a Sunday afternoon nap.

I can buy that until I think of what this place would be like if they tried to change the name of the Vols…. It would make the schianamo look like a Sunday afternoon nap.
With the entrance of the Texas Longhorns to the SEC, they have officially petitioned the conference to force the Tennessee Volunteers to change their name, as the current name reminds them of past traumas and failures.

"It's almost as triggering as the 'horns-down' gesture. Since the NCAA made that a penalty, surely the SEC can act on our behalf now.
University of Texas petitions new conference for rival name change

You had to know there was big money behind this. Every group has individuals who will sell their soul because the system is going to eat them anyhow.
It seems like there is an author who wrote stories about just that sort of thing…
That seems like a huge assumption based on your bias....you want it to be nefarious so bad, so it is.

You may be right, but it is a go-to among leftists to do exactly what you are doing...regardless.

Reactions: Vol since 77
talk about assumptions

You are assuming that every native American or even a majority of them give a flying rump about the names of sports teams. If everybody found something productive to do, rather than bish one way or the other about the names of sports teams we could probably put a big dent in a lot of actual problems facing our nation and world.

You are assuming that every native American or even a majority of them give a flying rump about the names of sports teams. If everybody found something productive to do, rather than bish one way or the other about the names of sports teams we could probably put a big dent in a lot of actual problems facing our nation and world.

I think you can find something offensive to your heritage while also having a productive life.

I think you can find something offensive to your heritage while also having a productive life.

Again, if a sports team's name is the biggest offensive hurdle that we have left to cover then I think we should take a victory lap. If there are other things that have bigger impacts then maybe we should dedicate our resources on those things that truly impact people's lives. Pareto the problem and focus our time, effort, and resources on the 80%. Sports team names are definitely in the 20%.

Reactions: Brillovol
Again, if a sports team's name is the biggest offensive hurdle that we have left to cover then I think we should take a victory lap. If there are other things that have bigger impacts then maybe we should dedicate our resources on those things that truly impact people's lives. Pareto the problem and focus our time, effort, and resources on the 80%. Sports team names are definitely in the 20%.

And yet we are spending a little time discussing it on a stupid internet forum...

No one is stating its in the top 1000 problems facing society. Just debating who actually finds it offensive, thats all. An answer that none of us can truly know.

Reactions: volinokc
And yet we are spending a little time discussing it on a stupid internet forum...

No one is stating its in the top 1000 problems facing society. Just debating who actually finds it offensive, thats all. An answer that none of us can truly know.

dd73090f-dc58-47d7-b5cf-1dad55095c3c_text.gif

VN Store

Back