Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

It’s crazy how talk of recruiting rankings end up in so many of the player threads where we talk about kid’s recruiting rankings. Weird.
No, what's weird is arguing about how team recruiting rankings translate to on-field success historically in individual player threads. Don't misrepresent it.

Also, let it go. Let other people be "wrong"

Reactions: walkenvol
No, what's weird is arguing about how team recruiting rankings translate to on-field success historically in individual player threads. Don't misrepresent it.

Also, let it go. Let other people be "wrong"
It’s the Recruiting Forum. We’ve been arguing recruiting rankings in here for a long time. It’s going to happen.

And I’m fine letting other people be blatantly wrong. But I’ll usually respond when people create narratives and attribute them to me.

It’s the Recruiting Forum. We’ve been arguing recruiting rankings in here for a long time. It’s going to happen.

And I’m fine letting other people be blatantly wrong. But I’ll usually respond when people create narratives and attribute them to me.
I believe there was a whole separate thread created just to rehash the debate about recruiting rankings. It's tired and old at this point.

Not true. You may not have hated on him personally, but I saw so much Kiffin and Freeze fanboying on this site during the last coaching search despite them both being major sleeze balls. Alot of it coming from people disparaging Coach Prime. As far as racial division, you do realize that he's had white players at Jackson St and Colorado right? You do also realize that those players absolutely love the guy as well right? I'm not a Deion fan, but the excuses that some use for wanting him to fail are laughable.
Yes. True. There may be a few that don't like Sanders. He's not everyone's flavor and that may or may not have anything to do with his skin. He's always been cocky in a way that rubs some wrong.

That said, regardless of whether he's had white players or not... he is playing the race angle. Surely you don't deny that? If we're going to say white coaches shouldn't do racist things... then saying the same about him is well within bounds.

I personally don't like it when anyone regardless of their color stokes racism.

Never said any of that. The only people I make fun of are the people who attack people with different opinions than they have. I don't really care if you're a sunshine pumper or negavol. Has zero impact on my life. Our opinions shouldn't bother people like you so much either bud.
Then what in the heck is the motivation for THIS post? Challenging posts that one considers to be counter to the advancement of the program or with info needed by the members/readers of the board is always OK. Way to easy for UNCHALLENGED posts to be assumed to have some level of truth or merit. Application of just opinion is not a reason to let it slide.

I believe there was a whole separate thread created just to rehash the debate about recruiting rankings. It's tired and old at this point.
We get new data points every year.
We have the transfer portal now.
We are getting expanded playoff.

It’s a topic that is going to continue to get talked about.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I said YOUR tits. You suck at reading.
Oh GIFs | Tenor

Yes. True. There may be a few that don't like Sanders. He's not everyone's flavor and that may or may not have anything to do with his skin. He's always been cocky in a way that rubs some wrong.

That said, regardless of whether he's had white players or not... he is playing the race angle. Surely you don't deny that? If we're going to say white coaches shouldn't do racist things... then saying the same about him is well within bounds.

I personally don't like it when anyone regardless of their color stokes racism.
Mentioning race doesn't make a statement racist, nor does it cause a racial divide. Much has to do with context. In fact, his most inflammatory statements could be viewed more negatively towards the black community than anything else. What I will do that no one else has done is refer specifically to what he said.

When he spoke about what he looks for in players at certain positions, he used language that could be interpreted as racial stereotypes. QBs being from stable, two parent homes with 3.5 GPAs etc. Then he said he wanted defensive lineman from single parent homes that have had a life of struggle, so they can go earn it for mama, etc.

Now, if you want to say it isn't fair that he can openly say that but white coaches can't...fair enough. But if anything it reinforces how many feel about the black family structure in America. Not stoking flames of the current racial divide that we so many others (black, white, brown, yellow, red all guilty) doing in our country and around the world.
Every coach is using some angle to get the players that they want at their respective schools. A black head coach using a black angle to get black players to his school is no different than what's being done in living rooms by nearly every program in the country.

Reactions: SugarCC
The last 25 National Champions all being recruiting heavyweights is all just a grand conspiracy. Lies, all of it.
forest thru the trees.

the statistical likelihood of a team full of 5* winning a championship, is a different statistic than an individual 5* panning out. and they aren't inherently positively related.

I believe you are conflating the two issues. the rating of an individual player is almost meaningless. The overall rating of a class does have some meaning. Two. separate. issues.

your argument also ignores the other side of the equation.
How many teams loaded with 5* never win a championship?
How many teams winning championships do so with in a season or two of changing coaches? I think Saban is the fastest in 3 years, it took Smart 6 years. It took Fisher 4 years, and he was the coach in waiting. Dabo 6 years, and he never had a top class, and had even built a reputation for "Clemsoning". It took Meyer 4 years at OSU, 3 at FLA. Orgeron 3 as well. Saban was the only one to walk into a bad situation, the rest were taking over stable programs.

Mentioning race doesn't make a statement racist, nor does it cause a racial divide. Much has to do with context. In fact, his most inflammatory statements could be viewed more negatively towards the black community than anything else. What I will do that no one else has done is refer specifically to what he said.

When he spoke about what he looks for in players at certain positions, he used language that could be interpreted as racial stereotypes. QBs being from stable, two parent homes with 3.5 GPAs etc. Then he said he wanted defensive lineman from single parent homes that have had a life of struggle, so they can go earn it for mama, etc.

Now, if you want to say it isn't fair that he can openly say that but white coaches can't...fair enough. But if anything it reinforces how many feel about the black family structure in America. Not stoking flames of the current racial divide that we so many others (black, white, brown, yellow, red all guilty) doing in our country and around the world.
Every coach is using some angle to get the players that they want at their respective schools. A black head coach using a black angle to get black players to his school is no different than what's being done in living rooms by nearly every program in the country.
So you said all that to agree with my point that he's stoking racism and racial stereotypes in spite of a one line denial, right?

Yes. It is quite different from what other coaches are doing.

These double standards and reinforcement of divisive images... is bigger than him using his skin for selfish career ambitions.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
forest thru the trees.

the statistical likelihood of a team full of 5* winning a championship, is a different statistic than an individual 5* panning out. and they aren't inherently positively related.

I believe you are conflating the two issues. the rating of an individual player is almost meaningless. The overall rating of a class does have some meaning. Two. separate. issues.

your argument also ignores the other side of the equation.
How many teams loaded with 5* never win a championship?
How many teams winning championships do so with in a season or two of changing coaches? I think Saban is the fastest in 3 years, it took Smart 6 years. It took Fisher 4 years, and he was the coach in waiting. Dabo 6 years, and he never had a top class, and had even built a reputation for "Clemsoning". It took Meyer 4 years at OSU, 3 at FLA. Orgeron 3 as well. Saban was the only one to walk into a bad situation, the rest were taking over stable programs.
Oh boy. Now here’s someone that’ll argue with me for days! 😉

Tryin to use my own lines on me though… 😏

I believe you’re confused though - re: my actual position.

This all started with me saying - “The recruiting rankings are quite good, IN THE AGGREGATE.”

This is not about individual player rankings.
This is about team recruiting rankings.

They are different. You got that part right.

So you said all that to agree with my point that he's stoking racism and racial stereotypes in spite of a one line denial, right?

Yes. It is quite different from what other coaches are doing.

These double standards and reinforcement of divisive images... is bigger than him using his skin for selfish career ambitions.
The issue has been that he has been repeatedly called a racist on here. In no way is he stoking racism, unless the person using what he said was already a racist.
Unless you've been a black recruit or part of the recruiting of a black athlete (parent, coach, etc) you won't understand that what he is doing, in essence, is no different than what any other coaches are doing in recruiting. Black men make up about 6% of the US population, yet they account for 56% of NFL rosters. When any coach goes into the home of black athletes, they must convince parents that their institution and the coaches themselves are the best place for that kid. There's a lot of uncomfortable questions that get asked (questions that don't usually come up when recruiting white athletes), and a lot of things said in order to establish trust and to distinguish yourself from everyone else. Especially if the kid comes from a less than fortunate background. EVERY coach has an angle. Don't get it twisted. College football is a multi-billion dollar business. That makes a lot of people say and do lots of things.

VN Store

Back