Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I just left Kroger. They've got Campbell's soup with the pop top cans for $1.49. They've got Kroger brand Tuna for .89. If anyone wants to make a purchase there's plenty of ways to get it up there. It's amazing how much food you can get for $100 with those prices.
Good find. When I do rhe holiday food drive for work I always get the staples of vegetables most people eat and 1lb bags of rice. Along with canned meat. Man you can fill a trunk on 100.

I just left Kroger. They've got Campbell's soup with the pop top cans for $1.49. They've got Kroger brand Tuna for .89. If anyone wants to make a purchase there's plenty of ways to get it up there. It's amazing how much food you can get for $100 with those prices.
Are you going up there? You should probably take your drone, just on case.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Are you going up there? You should probably take your drone, just on case.
No, one of my employees is in the reserves and they are going up. They are going on their own. He told me they had about 30 so I bought hotdogs, chili, buns, and mustard to feed his crew. Tells me this morning that his crew has grown to 50. He said not to worry. They are taking the stuff for me.

I thought about pulling my bobcat up there to see if I could be of some use but im not in a position to do that right now and from what I've heard about the government intervening with private people trying to help, I probably wouldn't go anyway. I don't have much patience for government stupidity so I'd probably end up in jail when I went @Ulysees E. McGill on them.

Last edited:
No, one of my employees is in the reserves and they are going up. They are going on their own. He told me they had about 30 so I bought hotdogs, chili, buns, and mustard to feed his crew. Tells me this morning that his crew has grown to 50. He said not to worry. They are taking the stuff for me.

I thought about pulling my bobcat up there to see if I could be of some use but im not in a position to do that right now and from what I've heard about the government intervening with private people trying to help, I probably would go anyway. I don't have much patience for government stupidity so I'd probably end up in jail when I went @Ulysees E. McGill on them.
It's bad. I've heard it's 100 times worse than what we're being told.

For some reason they are not wanting the public to know the severity. Maybe they don't want them to see their ineptitude.
No Invol. Its that the lay person isnt equipped to deal with anything on this scale.

If we get our sorry asses in to a pickle, theyd have to allocate resources to save us.

I thought about pulling my bobcat up there to see if I could be of some use but im not in a position to do that right now and from what I've heard about the government intervening with private people trying to help, I probably would go anyway. I don't have much patience for government stupidity so I'd probably end up in jail when I went @Ulysees E. McGill on them.
Worked at a relief center near Telford yesterday. I didn't encounter them, but those who did had little good to say about FEMA.

The Jackson Bridge survived, but the road washed out rendering it difficult to use. Word was a group of Mennonites came in and rebuilt the road, which I assume meant clearing debris and putting down gravel. Shortly after that FEMA ran them off. Don't think that set well with some of the locals.

Although in fairness, there are often complications. The bridge had to be closed while they cleared the debris that was piled against it to retrieve a body. Local help is greatly helpful, until it isn't.

But like Reagan said "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'".

No Invol. Its that the lay person isnt equipped to deal with anything on this scale.

If we get our sorry asses in to a pickle, theyd have to allocate resources to save us.
And if the government had a long standing reputation for showing up early and doing a bang up job, then I'd support that conceit. The reality is far less clear.

Word from a pharmacy client in Bakersville is had Russia dropped a nuke, couldnt have done near this type of damage.
Pretty much what people here are saying. I work with a girl her father and husband are lineman. She told the other day ine of the affected counties had a 93% outage off the grid, that's an unprecedented number, and that's not even in NC or TN that was in one of the Virginia counties nobody is talking about.

And if the government had a long standing reputation for showing up early and doing a bang up job, then I'd support that conceit. The reality is far less clear.
One idiot in the Pub has decried it was all an elaborate rouge to dislodge 'crazy Appalachians' from their properties, so they can get to minerals.

Assurd comments.

I can promise you most of the people involved would rather have their neighbor they trust helping than the government.

Pretty much what people here are saying. I work with a girl her father and husband are lineman. She told the other day ine of the affected counties had a 93% outage off the grid, that's an unprecedented number, and that's not even in NC or TN that was in one of the Virginia counties nobody is talking about.
I was in VA yesterday. Its really just TN & NC.

Damascus is in sorry shape.

One idiot in the Pub has decried it was all an elaborate rouge to dislodge 'crazy Appalachians' from their properties, so they can get to minerals.

Assurd comments.
Minerals? Smart thinking.

At the center I worked at, the call had been put out for 10 ATVs to help move supplies into difficult places. Over 100 showed up. A caravan of nearly 200 vehicles went on a 2 hour run that ended up taking 4, but they moved a nice pile of relief. While there were Blackhawks flying by occasionally, I didn't get the sense that the government effort was anywhere near as large as the local efforts. I'm not anti-gov, but the right answer is a cooperative effort.

Far be it for the government beauracrats to remember who cleared and settled those mountains. It sure as heck wasn't them!

Assurd comments.
I've had conversations with some individuals having this same theory. Plus I've heard that they're a lot more casualties than what's being reported, which I tend to believe there's no telling how many individuals will never be found.

Reactions: DarthVol1 and mrMet

Maybe you, but not me. I have trouble standing by and watching people suffer and die because of government eff ups.

Worked at a relief center near Telford yesterday. I didn't encounter them, but those who did had little good to say about FEMA.

The Jackson Bridge survived, but the road washed out rendering it difficult to use. Word was a group of Mennonites came in and rebuilt the road, which I assume meant clearing debris and putting down gravel. Shortly after that FEMA ran them off. Don't think that set well with some of the locals.

Although in fairness, there are often complications. The bridge had to be closed while they cleared the debris that was piled against it to retrieve a body. Local help is greatly helpful, until it isn't.

But like Reagan said "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'".
From what I've seen, it isn't just a FEMA issue. It's state, local, and federal. There's too many people that will try and use a tragedy for personal benefit. Them running off private people rescuing people via helicopter when they were making no effort is appalling.

VN Store

Back