Senators set to vote on bill to codify Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage protections

I'd say it's more a condition, like being left handed, than a mental illness.

Na. I suppose it’s not the pc thing to say but it is what it is. Weird it’s ok to say over 3/4 are diagnosed with some sort of mental illness but the “condition” itself is not. Seems to go hand in hand.

I think some do take it as a choice, those who are susceptible to the advertising. 'It's trendy and brave so go ahead and join the clique'. I've known people who were straight because of societal pressure so it would work the other way too.
I would think the condemnation you describe is rare today given the publicity campaigns in the schools, public spaces, media, etc. In your view is it still pervasive in the US?
Could you change your sexuality on a whim like that? To join the "trendy" movement?
Folks pretending to be straight did so to avoid being ostracized and othered by their local communities and governments. That is a bit different.

Condemnation is absolutely still pervasive in US society.

Reactions: flint
Could you change your sexuality on a whim like that? To join the "trendy" movement?
Folks pretending to be straight did so to avoid being ostracized and othered by their local communities and governments. That is a bit different.

Condemnation is absolutely still pervasive in US society.
I'd most likely stay straight if I was a teenager and under societal pressure to choose the gay life. But I think some would cave and go with the flow.
Kids generally conform to one norm or another. They get born again, they choose sports, they choose cliques, they pick a style of music. Sometimes they make their choices independently but very often they bend to parents, friends, role models, etc. applying pressure.

I'd most likely stay straight if I was a teenager and under societal pressure to choose the gay life. But I think some would cave and go with the flow.
Kids generally conform to one norm or another. They get born again, they choose sports, they choose cliques, they pick a style of music. Sometimes they make their choices independently but very often they bend to parents, friends, role models, etc. applying pressure.
There is no societal pressure to be gay. You either are gay, or you aren't. If societal pressure was a thing, then 50 years ago there would be no gay people period. And there were still gay people.

Reactions: flint
There is no societal pressure to be gay. You either are gay, or you aren't. If societal pressure was a thing, then 50 years ago there would be no gay people period. And there were still gay people.

I’ve read this several times but I can’t make it make sense in my head . 50 years ago there was absolutely social pressure not to be gay , that’s where the term coming out of the closet is from .

I’ve read this several times but I can’t make it make sense in my head . 50 years ago there was absolutely social pressure not to be gay , that’s where the term coming out of the closet is from .
If societal pressure was such a profound force, being gay would have ended 50 years ago. It didn't.

You either are gay or you aren't. You don't come to that conclusion based on society. That is just how you are.

If societal pressure was such a profound force, being gay would have ended 50 years ago. It didn't.

You either are gay or you aren't. You don't come to that conclusion based on society. That is just how you are.

That’s not what happened at all , the pressure from society to be something you aren’t , to hide who you were from others is why you have men snd women growing up , getting married in a traditional relationship, having a family then coming out later in life after years of family life .

That’s not what happened at all , the pressure from society to be something you aren’t , to hide who you were from others is why you have men snd women growing up , getting married in a traditional relationship, having a family then coming out later in life after years of family life .
I'm not sure if we are disagreeing at all.

Reactions: flint and 0nelilreb
Any unbiased observer, left, right, or center, can see that in the US being gay is celebrated and advertised as preferable to being straight. Kids are by nature confused and easily swayed so yes more are declaring themselves as gay than would happen with no pressure either way.
Maybe parents shouldn't rely on the television and internet to raise their kids. Parents not being correctly involved in their children's lives is the heart of about half of this nations issues. We cant legislate our way out of that issue.

Maybe parents shouldn't rely on the television and internet to raise their kids. Parents not being correctly involved in their children's lives is the heart of about half of this nations issues. We cant legislate our way out of that issue.

More than half.

Reactions: AM64
Could this have been done in year 1-2 of office? No big deal it seems by those in office to wait until now.

Being left handed is a mental illness, lefties are weird.
My wife would agree. She doesn't understand my daughter (also a lefty) and I sitting next to each other at restaurants and she can't read my handwriting because I grew up in a right handed world having to write slanted.

Reactions: tntar heel and AM64
My wife would agree. She doesn't understand my daughter (also a lefty) and I sitting next to each other at restaurants and she can't read my handwriting because I grew up in a right handed world having to write slanted.

Only use for lefties is pitcher and 1st base.

Your estimation is way low. I'd say on the order of 90%. Although, irresponsible parental involvement creates problems.

Any unbiased observer, left, right, or center, can see that in the US being gay is celebrated and advertised as preferable to being straight. Kids are by nature confused and easily swayed so yes more are declaring themselves as gay than would happen with no pressure either way.
We had a little girl who lived across the street who was diagnosed as being bipolar and various diagnoses that would befriend little girls in a serial fashion and try to convince them they were lesbians 😂 at three girls had to go to therapy.. we moved and that was part of it

VN Store

Back