Shameful and scary..

How's life out in left field?
Lol... left field? Dooley could not win for loosing. If Butch gets a victory his team probably will not screw it up with penalty. Butch Jones team 0 penalties. That could win maybe 1 extra game for not having their head up their butts.

Reactions: 1 person
99,123 = Attendance for Dooley's opener
97,169 = Attendance for Butch Jones opener

Thats a damn shame.

Now for the scary similarities....

332 rushing yards in Dooleys opener
335 rushing yards for Butch Jones

17-30 for 205 passing (Dooley)
15-21 for 132 passing (Jones)

Time of possession

33:21 (Dooley)
30:16 (Jones)

Total number of plays 73 (Dooley), 73 (Jones)

Dooleys opener 50-0
Jones opener 45-0

Just when I was getting excited out of my mind, I did a little research and quickly came back down to earth. Still crazy excited but this is just a little reality check.

KING uP Tight

Was that the Martin game? AP vs Martin would be a good game. Butch called off the dogs at halftime. He could have pulled a Georgia Tech if he wanted but he has class.

Maybe not... the last 3 games between those teams went like this:

2012 UTM 31 - Austin Peay 6
2011 UTM 61 - Austin Peay 23
2010 UTM 28 - Austin Peay 12

2010 was the year that UTM opened the season for the Volunteers. That game was the first start for a sophomore QB in front of 99,000. As someone else noticed, that game was 20-0 at half, and UTM had failed to capitalize on some opportunities. Dooley really didn't get any reserves into the game until the last part of the 4th Quarter. If I remember correctly, Bray threw an INT against the UTM 2nd team defense.

Ultimately, you can't really gain much from comparing those games and teams. What you can gather from last night's result is that was the most disciplined team performance in Neyland Stadium in a long, long time. When was the last time we had a team with zero penalties? My guess is that the General might have been coaching then. Not making stupid mistakes in critical times will probably improve our record two or three wins per season versus what we've seen the last few seasons.

The thing I loved was you could tell that Butch's team was well coached. No flags and loved how they ran between quarter's to the other side

Consider this from the recap of the 2010 opener.

Tennessee, which had its own share of young players, wasn't without its share of mistakes either.

Gerald Jones fumbled his first punt return of the game, and UT Martin's Kendal Harper recovered on the Tennessee 36. The Skyhawks couldn't capitalize, punting four plays later after going only three yards.

Matt Simms, who completed 14 of 24 for 181 yards, overthrew Luke Stocker and Denarius Moore several times. The Vols picked up several penalties for false starts and one for delay of game, and an illegal formation penalty forced Lincoln to redo a field goal attempt.:detective:

We played an undisciplined game vs a UT Martin team that may have been even worse that AP was last night.

First stringers were in there much longer in 2010 because we didn't put it away until 3rd quarter.

Third down conversions were 5-15 in 2010. We were 100% on conversions with the 1s last night and 7-11 overall.

This is team is much better coached. Beating AP doesn't mean anything, but there is a clear difference in the quality and crispness of play from Team 117 vs Team 114.

I mean who lines up wrong on a field goal? Classic Dooley.

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If that were true, why would you even make this thread and especially why would you title it "Shameful and scary"?

I dont know how to make it any clearer.

I THINK ITS A SHAME THAT THE ATTENDANCE WAS HIGHER FOR DOOLEYS FIRST GAME.

Maybe I shouldnt have said scary, maybe I should have used eerie because the results are eeriely similar.

The thing I loved was you could tell that Butch's team was well coached. No flags and loved how they ran between quarter's to the other side

No doubt. Am I the only one who noticed that we handed the ball to the referee after every single play? One time Worley left it on the ground for a split second and quickly turned around and picked it up and give it to the ref. Thats a sign of pure discipline, I loved seeing that. EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

The difference is that you can watch 10 minutes of a game paying specific attention to the coaches on the sideline. Do that with Dooley and then do it with Jones.
Tell me which one you'd rather have coaching your team.

Gotta run. Have a killer day.

Dooley is white, Butch is white...
They both wore Tennessee polos...
Butch won't make it to year 2.

Thats a damn shame.

Time of possession

Dooleys opener 50-0
Jones opener 45-0

Just when I was getting excited out of my mind, I did a little research and quickly came back down to earth. Still crazy excited but this is just a little reality check.

You really should plead with the mods to delete this poorly conceived thread.

Maybe not... the last 3 games between those teams went like this:

2012 UTM 31 - Austin Peay 6
2011 UTM 61 - Austin Peay 23
2010 UTM 28 - Austin Peay 12

2010 was the year that UTM opened the season for the Volunteers. That game was the first start for a sophomore QB in front of 99,000. As someone else noticed, that game was 20-0 at half, and UTM had failed to capitalize on some opportunities. Dooley really didn't get any reserves into the game until the last part of the 4th Quarter. If I remember correctly, Bray threw an INT against the UTM 2nd team defense.

Ultimately, you can't really gain much from comparing those games and teams. What you can gather from last night's result is that was the most disciplined team performance in Neyland Stadium in a long, long time. When was the last time we had a team with zero penalties? My guess is that the General might have been coaching then. Not making stupid mistakes in critical times will probably improve our record two or three wins per season versus what we've seen the last few seasons.

Didn't Simms start that game? I remember it being ugly.

Thats a damn shame.

Time of possession

Dooleys opener 50-0
Jones opener 45-0

The only thing that matters:

Dooley: 17-21, no championships, 1 bowl game
Jones: 49-27, 4 championships, 5 bowl games

The only "reality check" I see from this game and those stats is that you can't determine too much from a cupcake game.
You can determine exactly one thing. Those inconsistencies we suck at against AP we will be pooch screwed against most of the rest of our schedule.

You really should plead with the mods to delete this poorly conceived thread.

Its amazing to me that so many people are taking the original post completely out of context. I cant believe how sensitive people are being just because Dools and Jones are in the same sentence. IT IS NOT A COACHING COMPARISON!!!! Butch Jones is a proven winner and no one can argue against it. Everybody get your panties out of a wad and take it for what it is, simply a similar start to their careers at UT, thats all, nothing else, you bunch of whinny mofo's. :)

VN Store

Back