Shameful and scary..

Butch gets it.....Dooley didn't. Nothing scary here....just exciting. I bet you wish you had rethought this post.....alot....before submitting.

Reactions: 1 person
While I do get the point you're making, the way the OP is worded looks like you compared 2 sets of stats and had an "Oh Sh!+!!!" moment...

I am shocked at some of the similar stats. Both games were shut outs, both games we scored a bunch of polints, both games we ran 73 plays, etc.. I guess i should have made it more clear that the only comparison I was making was their first games (which I thought I did by saying it was their opener). To argue Dooley against Jones would be ridiculous and impossible. No one in Volnation is happier to have Butch Jones than I am.

I dont know how to make it any clearer.

I THINK ITS A SHAME THAT THE ATTENDANCE WAS HIGHER FOR DOOLEYS FIRST GAME.

Maybe I shouldnt have said scary, maybe I should have used eerie because the results are eeriely similar.

You can stop now. You cant dig yourself out of a hole. Maybe you should have compared 1st halves cause that all our starters played.

As far as attendence numbers were coming off 5 bad seasons and playin a glorified high school team. BTW almost 98K being there is a pretty good number. Did you see the empty seats at Floridas game?

99,123 = Attendance for Dooley's opener
97,169 = Attendance for Butch Jones opener

Thats a damn shame.

Now for the scary 1st game similarities....

332 rushing yards in Dooleys opener
335 rushing yards for Butch Jones

17-30 for 205 passing (Dooley)
15-21 for 132 passing (Jones)

Time of possession

33:21 (Dooley)
30:16 (Jones)

Total number of plays 73 (Dooley), 73 (Jones)

Dooleys opener 50-0
Jones opener 45-0

I know were in better hands now but just when I was getting excited out of my mind, I did a little research and quickly came back down to earth. Still crazy excited but this is just a little reality check.

I really don't understand the point in comparing these two games. It is absolutely meaningless.

Reactions: 3 people
99,123 = Attendance for Dooley's opener
97,169 = Attendance for Butch Jones opener

Thats a damn shame.

Now for the scary 1st game similarities....

332 rushing yards in Dooleys opener
335 rushing yards for Butch Jones

17-30 for 205 passing (Dooley)
15-21 for 132 passing (Jones)

Time of possession

33:21 (Dooley)
30:16 (Jones)

Total number of plays 73 (Dooley), 73 (Jones)

Dooleys opener 50-0
Jones opener 45-0

I know were in better hands now but just when I was getting excited out of my mind, I did a little research and quickly came back down to earth. Still crazy excited but this is just a little reality check.

UT was also only up 13-0 at halftime during the Dooley opener as opposed to 42-0 during the Jones opener. That is the stat that you have completely disregarded.

Leave it to some VN fool to try and find negatives in a win.

Even if you see this as a coaching comparison (which it is not) where are these negatives that you speak of? There are very few negatives you can take from either opening game.

UT was also only up 13-0 at halftime during the Dooley opener as opposed to 42-0 during the Jones opener. That is the stat that you have completely disregarded.

Yes, I was pointing out some similarities. There are plenty of stats that dont look the same, I didnt mention them because they arent ....similar.:)

I think I will start a "I Love Dooley" thread. I dont see how it could get any worse. Go Vols, Go Butch Jones, and man do I love Volnation!

Does this mean our third team defense is stellar since we allowed 0 points in the second half as well? This could have been at least a 70-0 a** whooping if CBJ clearly didn't put on the brakes. This team is gonna be just fine when we start playing our first and second teams together more in bigger games. Some of you worry too much.

Who the hell are you and where have you been? Regardless, thank you for showing up and reassuring me that there is some sanity in this world.

You cant reason with the liberal majority that has weasled into VN. Voicing opinion is futile, sorry.

2135_cover_dooley_t588.jpg

I'm thinking hard about this thread...

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, I was pointing out some similarities. There are plenty of stats that dont look the same, I didnt mention them because they arent ....similar.:)

The title says "shameful and scary." My rebuttal simply implies that there was very little shameful and scary about this game.

Ok, I feel better about the attendance now. Last years opener had 87,800 and last years average attendance was 89,900. I guess Butch Jones was able to get another 10,000 people in the stadium compared to last year. He deserves every single one of them.

The OP has a valid point - big wins over creampuffs in the 1st game under Kiffin & in Dooley's 1st 2 years gave no indication of what was to come when UT played the big boys, especially in 2010 & 2011.
But past events do not predict future events. APSU was such a weak opponent that we still cannot say how much improvement this squad is over Dooley's teams. WKU, which beat UK, will give us a better idea. And late in the 4th quarter out in Eugene, we'll finally begin to gauge just what the 2013 Vols are made of.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back