Show some love for Candace Parker!

Why must you D bags scat all over this thread by debating the values of womens athletics, especially basketball? Parker is exceptional in her sport, and represented your university with more grace than some of you clowns deserve. On top of that, she is doing a fine job in the next level available to her. I don't care for the NBA/WNBA, and I'll only watch Candace's games, but I will give the our lady vols their props.
I think it's probably because it's about the WNBA and the fact that none of us have any misplaced pride in the fact that Candace Parker played at a school that we irrationally love.

Why must you D bags scat all over this thread by debating the values of womens athletics, especially basketball? Parker is exceptional in her sport, and represented your university with more grace than some of you clowns deserve. On top of that, she is doing a fine job in the next level available to her. I don't care for the NBA/WNBA, and I'll only watch Candace's games, but I will give the our lady vols their props.

:birgits_giggle:

Don't be anti-WNBA, Hel she is doing fine on her 44,000 per year salary. lol Discrimanation at it's best.:salute:

Don't be anti-WNBA, Hel she is doing fine on her 44,000 per year salary. lol Discrimanation at it's best.:salute:

If that is her actual salary, then that just proves what I have said many times before. ORNL and DENSO would have paid Candace just as much coming out of school as the WNBA...

If that is her actual salary, then that just proves what I have said many times before. ORNL and DENSO would have paid Candace just as much coming out of school as the WNBA...
The endorsement deals are a little harder to come by for people working there.

Piece when she committed-

Parker first woman to make decision on national TV
Illinois HS star selects Lady Vols

24nl7op.jpg

Candace Parker, the nation's best girls basketball player, became the final piece of college's No. 1 recruiting class Tuesday, saying she'll sign with Tennessee when the signing period begins Wednesday.

Summitt's "Super Six" -- two centers, two forwards and a pair of guards, each of whom are multi-decorated high school All-Americans -- includes three players who are considered the No. 1 recruit in the nation at their positions.

"This is the greatest recruiting class in the modern era of the women's game," says analyst Mike Flynn, editor of the Blue Star Index. "It shows the effort of three years of work by the Tennessee staff."

(But all 6 didn't stay together at TN..)

---

Some of her awards-
30hlw6p.jpg

65252w.jpg

34q23k7.jpg

2j67kgz.jpg

2emh990.jpg

Nice-
28b8qs5.jpg

Now Olympian-
2ezkykn.jpg

Bingo. I don't even know if there are any former Gator players on a WNBA team. Don't care. Don't know anyone who does. I don't even know what cities have teams, or what they are called.

I saw her interviewed not too long ago and like her immensely as a person. She seems terrific. You ought to be proud of her as a former student of UT. But as an athlete? The whole thing is a farce.

I hope none of your clients ever see this post or you will have trouble finding cases to take. If you can sell that ridiculous and incorrect statement then you are the most talented law student in the world. The point is that Candace Parker is causing more excitement for an entire league thab most athletes ever do for a single team. Opinions like your's are the inspiration for this thread but it is more directed at UT fans who should know better and not a Gator fan whose opinion doesn't matter on anything about UT sports. Let me know the next time a Gator dominates a professional sport. It amazes me how you guys produce so much collegiate talent that never does anything professionally.

I hope none of your clients ever see this post or you will have trouble finding cases to take. If you can sell that ridiculous and incorrect statement then you are the most talented law student in the world. The point is that Candace Parker is causing more excitement for an entire league thab most athletes ever do for a single team. Opinions like your's are the inspiration for this thread but it is more directed at UT fans who should know better and not a Gator fan whose opinion doesn't matter on anything about UT sports. Let me know the next time a Gator dominates a professional sport. It amazes me how you guys produce so much collegiate talent that never does anything professionally.

Speaking of ridiculous and incorrect statements!

Ever heard of Emmitt Smith?

Let me know the next time a Gator dominates a professional sport. It amazes me how you guys produce so much collegiate talent that never does anything professionally.

Stunning.

Assuming your statement was correct, which it isn't, all that would mean is that the Gator athletic department is all that much better than UT's for having gotten the most out of it apparently mediocre talent.

Stunning.

Assuming your statement was correct, which it isn't, all that would mean is that the Gator athletic department is all that much better than UT's for having gotten the most out of it apparently mediocre talent.
we agree regarding his comments, but you failed to note his other completely wrong comments.

we agree regarding his comments, but you failed to note his other completely wrong comments.

I saw some others, but those last two were just such easy targets, y'know?

Hey, its Friday. I even took out my super-sarcastic stuff just because no harm, no foul.

Its June 6 and now less than three months away to football season! I hope I can make it to the finish line ....

I saw some others, but those last two were just such easy targets, y'know?

Hey, its Friday. I even took out my super-sarcastic stuff just because no harm, no foul.

Its June 6 and now less than three months away to football season! I hope I can make it to the finish line ....

The only problems with your opinions on her is that she's become a superstar symbol. People may avoid the WNBA, but because of her endorsements, high collegiate profile, and spot on the US National Team it'll be nearly impossible to not know her as an athlete. I think that says something about women's sports, however, when your star attraction has been so since she was in high school. There isn't a male athlete out there, outside of maybe Tiger Woods, who was the face of their sport before going pro.

There isn't a male athlete out there, outside of maybe Tiger Woods, who was the face of their sport before going pro.
Carl Lewis, Michael Phelps, Eric Heiden, Jenny Finch, Anton Ohno, Adu (in US only), LeBron maybe.

It's really not fair to compare her to men.:cray: Lets not have mens gymnastics in the Olympics anymore because the women are so much better than them.:crazy:

You couldn't be more right. It's too bad that so many UT fans are sexist rednecks that can't appreciate the contributions that women make to athletics. Just because men are stronger and faster(for the most part) does not mean that women are second class athletes. Sports should be appreciated for the passionate competition and not for who can jump the highest.

I think you'd have to do away with most women's sports if you were to live by LG1s rules. I'm not for that, but I'm all about keeping them off TV.

Let me guess, you'd rather watch fishin 'n huntin. Wait.....Baywatch!!! Now them broads know there place!

Speaking of ridiculous and incorrect statements!

Ever heard of Emmitt Smith?

Ever heard of any other dominant Gators? Emmitt Smith and Jeavon Kearse are it! You could make a case for Al Horford with his success as a rookie but for all their collegiate success, UF's players don't translate it to professional success. Candace will end up being infinitely more important to the WNBA than Emmitt was to the NFL. He wasn't even the best RB of his era!

Carl Lewis, Michael Phelps, Eric Heiden, Jenny Finch, Anton Ohno, Adu (in US only), LeBron maybe.

I'm only really referring to major market sports like basketball, baseball, football, and maybe, maybe, soccer. Olympic sports are a different animal. Jenny Finch is probably the only person on that list that I would place in the same category, but she wasn't hyped up until after she was already in college.

Let me guess, you'd rather watch fishin 'n huntin. Wait.....Baywatch!!! Now them broads know there place!
you really need to pull your head from your fourth point of contact and look around a bit. I suspect there are very, very few sports, if any, that you know better than I, including the country club variety. The ones I might give you credit for would be soccer and fishing.

That said, womens ball has no business trying to make money on television when an all star team of women couldn't win a mens state HS championship.

If it were about the competition, we'd all be clamoring over Harvard-Yale and Army-Navy (I actually clamor over both). However, that's not how it works. We want to see the best athletes making the best plays rather than a series of jump balls, slow feet and hideous jumpers.

Now, before you go implying that I'm a redneck again, do a little homework so the rest of your opinion doesn't look quite as stupid as said implication. FWIW, I have never seen Baywatch, but I don't watch TV shows aside from sports.

Pardon me for interrupting your field hockey reruns.

Just because men are stronger and faster(for the most part) does not mean that women are second class athletes.
yes it does mean they're second class. Every man in the NBA could start and dominate in the WNBA. No woman in the WNBA could even make a D league team. That alone says the pinnacle of basketball has nothing to do with the womens game.

Candace will end up being infinitely more important to the WNBA than Emmitt was to the NFL. He wasn't even the best RB of his era!
I like Parker and truly think she's the best womens player ever. Nonetheless, her being the biggest fish in an empty pond means absolutely nothing. When her pond dries up (which it will unless the NBA decides to insanely continue the corporate welfare), she might be the best ever, but the impact on the sports scene will be minimal.

Emmitt will forever have a bust in Canton, which alone makes your post absurd. Don't even mention three rings and the all time rushing leader stuff.

you really need to pull your head from your fourth point of contact and look around a bit. I suspect there are very, very few sports, if any, that you know better than I, including the country club variety. The ones I might give you credit for would be soccer and fishing.

That said, womens ball has no business trying to make money on television when an all star team of women couldn't win a mens state HS championship.

If it were about the competition, we'd all be clamoring over Harvard-Yale and Army-Navy (I actually clamor over both). However, that's not how it works. We want to see the best athletes making the best plays rather than a series of jump balls, slow feet and hideous jumpers.

Now, before you go implying that I'm a redneck again, do a little homework so the rest of your opinion doesn't look quite as stupid as said implication. FWIW, I have never seen Baywatch, but I don't watch TV shows aside from sports.

Pardon me for interrupting your field hockey reruns.

Saying that women's basketball has no marketable appeal and doesn't deserve to be on television sounds pretty ignorant. There are lots of things that shouldn't be on TV but you are saying that the people who do appreciate aspects of the women's game shouldn't be able to watch it. I didn't hear you complain about the Lady Vols national championship game being televised. I would think any Volunteer fan would be apalled at Lawgayter saying that Candace is not an athlete. I am pretty damn good at b-ball and would want no part of Candace. We shouldn't even be comparing her to men but she is one of the few females who can hang with men in any way. What's sad is that if they were all hot and played in lingerie then you guys would want an entire network devoted to airing it 24/7. We should be proud of our former female vol athletes who go on to excel in whatever they do as well as our men. You don't hear about any Lady Vols getting arrested for fightings or kicked off for academics.

I like Parker and truly think she's the best womens player ever. Nonetheless, her being the biggest fish in an empty pond means absolutely nothing. When her pond dries up (which it will unless the NBA decides to insanely continue the corporate welfare), she might be the best ever, but the impact on the sports scene will be minimal.

Emmitt will forever have a bust in Canton, which alone makes your post absurd. Don't even mention three rings and the all time rushing leader stuff.

Point out something in my post that was incorrect. I'll admit that the WNBA has a lot of flaws but there are other quality players and the league is still very young. Today's women could certainly compete with the original NBA players. Parker could have been an All-Star pre Bill Russell. Emmitt is one of my fav players of all time but was not the best back in his era and Parker could end up a bigger celebrity. Emmitt will have his bust in Canton but Parker's will be in Knoxville. You should visit sometime, it's a great city.

Saying that women's basketball has no marketable appeal and doesn't deserve to be on television sounds pretty ignorant. There are lots of things that shouldn't be on TV but you are saying that the people who do appreciate aspects of the women's game shouldn't be able to watch it. I didn't hear you complain about the Lady Vols national championship game being televised. I would think any Volunteer fan would be apalled at Lawgayter saying that Candace is not an athlete. I am pretty damn good at b-ball and would want no part of Candace. We shouldn't even be comparing her to men but she is one of the few females who can hang with men in any way. What's sad is that if they were all hot and played in lingerie then you guys would want an entire network devoted to airing it 24/7. We should be proud of our former female vol athletes who go on to excel in whatever they do as well as our men. You don't hear about any Lady Vols getting arrested for fightings or kicked off for academics.

be as proud as you want, but don't imply that everyone else needs to agree with you.

This debate is not about the lady Vols, it's about the money pit that is the WNBA.

Point out something in my post that was incorrect. I'll admit that the WNBA has a lot of flaws but there are other quality players and the league is still very young. Today's women could certainly compete with the original NBA players. Parker could have been an All-Star pre Bill Russell. Emmitt is one of my fav players of all time but was not the best back in his era and Parker could end up a bigger celebrity. Emmitt will have his bust in Canton but Parker's will be in Knoxville. You should visit sometime, it's a great city.
Your post had nothing in it to be refuted. CP could mean everything to the league, but it's still a money loser and, by rights, should cease to exist. Your point is like my importance to a bankrupt business. While I might be the kingpin, it would still be broke.

I don't get the point about the original players. If my alternatives were the WNBA and Cousy ball, you might have a point, but those aren't the alternatives.

yes it does mean they're second class. Every man in the NBA could start and dominate in the WNBA. No woman in the WNBA could even make a D league team. That alone says the pinnacle of basketball has nothing to do with the womens game.

I would totally disagree with this. Comparing women basketball players to men basketball players just doesn't work. Men are stronger, can jump higher, are faster, and have longer wingspans than women. Of course every man in the NBA could start and dominate in the WNBA, and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But et is like comparing a Ferrari to a mini van in a race. One is clearly better than the other, but you could never compare them together because of the huge advantage one has over the other.

VN Store

Back