Show some love for Candace Parker!

I would totally disagree with this. Comparing women basketball players to men basketball players just doesn't work. Men are stronger, can jump higher, are faster, and have longer wingspans than women. Of course every man in the NBA could start and dominate in the WNBA, and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But et is like comparing a Ferrari to a mini van in a race. One is clearly better than the other, but you could never compare them together because of the huge advantage one has over the other.

exactly and one is worth watching on television while the, by comparison, isn't worth watching. The one you call clearly better is the one worth watching.

I guess I don't quite understand what all you knuckle draggers are afraid of with the WNBA. Nobody is forcing you to watch the games, so go watch cartoons.

Your post had nothing in it to be refuted. CP could mean everything to the league, but it's still a money loser and, by rights, should cease to exist. Your point is like my importance to a bankrupt business. While I might be the kingpin, it would still be broke.

I don't get the point about the original players. If my alternatives were the WNBA and Cousy ball, you might have a point, but those aren't the alternatives.

My point about the original players is that the WNBA is a very young league and that the talent level isn't far behind that of the early NBA. I agree that the WNBA has been a poorly run organization but Candace Parker is the type of athlete/personality that can help turn that around and I don't understand why any UT fan wouldn't be proud of that. Not giving her respect seems sexist. The functionality of the league doesn't diminish what CP or any other elite female basketball players do. There are lots of flaws with the MLB, the NBA and NCAA Football but that doesn't take away from the player's achievements. Don't forget that quite a few baseball teams(including the Yankees) are organizations that don't bring in direct profit. Should they cease to exist? The WNBA doesn't bring in the advertising revenue that the Yankees and other MLB teams do but give it time to develop more charismatic superstars. The only argument is if you are agreeing with Lawgayter that we shouldn't respect CP as an athlete. That comment is starting to make me think he's just a troll even if he has been here a while. :nono:

The endorsement deals are a little harder to come by for people working there.

Oh, she may get the endorsement deals... not gonna deny that apsect. But I was saying in terms of base salary (rather it was Candace Parker or the last lady drafted in the WNBA), you would make more working a 9-5 job than you could if the WNBA was your sole means of income.

Oh, she may get the endorsement deals... not gonna deny that apsect. But I was saying in terms of base salary (rather it was Candace Parker or the last lady drafted in the WNBA), you would make more working a 9-5 job than you could if the WNBA was your sole means of income.

The interesting thing is I think they make more money in Europe playing ball than they do in the US. I wonder why? Then again, I don't understand the obsession with soccer either.

... game being televised. I would think any Volunteer fan would be apalled at Lawgayter saying that Candace is not an athlete. I am pretty ...

I did not say that. I said that that her role as an excellent student and spokesperson was terrific for UT. I said that the WNBA, as a product, sucks. The most you could have inferred from what I said in all of these posts was that as athletic as she might be she is not of a caliber equal to men's basketball players (and really I was focusing more on the WNBA as a whole, not her).

My point about the original players is that the WNBA is a very young league and that the talent level isn't far behind that of the early NBA. I agree that the WNBA has been a poorly run organization but Candace Parker is the type of athlete/personality that can help turn that around and I don't understand why any UT fan wouldn't be proud of that. Not giving her respect seems sexist. .... The only argument is if you are agreeing with Lawgayter that we shouldn't respect CP as an athlete. That comment is starting to make me think he's just a troll even if he has been here a while. :nono:

First, the comparison you make betwen the current WNBA and the early NBA suggests to me that you think that given time the WNBA might reach NBA-type style or proficiency or popularity means you need serious psychological help, and soon.

Second, just because we are honest and say that the WNBA is a horrific product does not mean we are sexist. If we said a woman should not be president, or that women should make less than men at work, etc., you'd have a point. None of are saying that.

Third, I have been labelled a troll many times and for a lot better reasons than this topic.

I guess I don't quite understand what all you knuckle draggers are afraid of with the WNBA. Nobody is forcing you to watch the games, so go watch cartoons.
who's afraid of the WNBA? Maybe you don't like that we're calling a spade a spade.

In fact, if my choices were bad cartoons or the WNBA, I would prefer to turn off the TV and teach my 4 year old to drive my car with me in the passenger seat, at 75 mph.

Bingo. I don't even know if there are any former Gator players on a WNBA team. Don't care. Don't know anyone who does. I don't even know what cities have teams, or what they are called.

I saw her interviewed not too long ago and like her immensely as a person. She seems terrific. You ought to be proud of her as a former student of UT. But as an athlete? The whole thing is a farce.

I did not say that. I said that that her role as an excellent student and spokesperson was terrific for UT. I said that the WNBA, as a product, sucks. The most you could have inferred from what I said in all of these posts was that as athletic as she might be she is not of a caliber equal to men's basketball players (and really I was focusing more on the WNBA as a whole, not her).

First, the comparison you make betwen the current WNBA and the early NBA suggests to me that you think that given time the WNBA might reach NBA-type style or proficiency or popularity means you need serious psychological help, and soon.

Second, just because we are honest and say that the WNBA is a horrific product does not mean we are sexist. If we said a woman should not be president, or that women should make less than men at work, etc., you'd have a point. None of are saying that.

Third, I have been labelled a troll many times and for a lot better reasons than this topic.

Sounds to me like you are sayint that we should not be proud of her as an athlete. Your comment also included her as a farce. Maybe you meant the WNBA but you included her in it. I couldn't care less if you like the WNBA or watch the WNBA but for a UT fan to not appreciate and be proud of what Candace has done makes me question their fanhood. I wouldn't expect a Gator fan to watch the WNBA because it would only remind you of how dominant UT is in women's basketball.

And my comment about the early NBA is simply "calling a spade a spade" as BPV would put it. The WNBA is every bit as exciting and talented as the early NBA was and they look better doing it.

Sounds to me like you are sayint that we should not be proud of her as an athlete. Your comment also included her as a farce. Maybe you meant the WNBA but you included her in it. I couldn't care less if you like the WNBA or watch the WNBA but for a UT fan to not appreciate and be proud of what Candace has done makes me question their fanhood. I wouldn't expect a Gator fan to watch the WNBA because it would only remind you of how dominant UT is in women's basketball.

And my comment about the early NBA is simply "calling a spade a spade" as BPV would put it. The WNBA is every bit as exciting and talented as the early NBA was and they look better doing it.

Obviously, you are quoting me out of context. In context, that comment about her athleticism was made relative to male basketball players. Obviously, athleticism is subjective, meaning that one is a good or great athlete compared to others. Compared to other women basketball players, she is the best. But compared to male players, she is outclassed by hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

It's not fair to compare athleticism between men and women, because women have more of a physical limitation than men.

Obviously, you are quoting me out of context. In context, that comment about her athleticism was made relative to male basketball players. Obviously, athleticism is subjective, meaning that one is a good or great athlete compared to others. Compared to other women basketball players, she is the best. But compared to male players, she is outclassed by hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

Your initial comment did not make that distinction. Candace is certainly the best female player. She would probably get beat by men who are more physically gifted but I think that she could compete with men who are similar to her in size and athletic ability. You are judging basketball skill on size, speed and jumping ability only. You are also failing to take into account ball handling, passing, shooting and overall game IQ. Candace is as good as any NBA superstar in all of those categories. Chris Paul is one of the best players in the NBA and is not known for his strength or pure athletic ability. Does that mean he isn't fun to watch?

Your initial comment did not make that distinction. Candace is certainly the best female player. She would probably get beat by men who are more physically gifted but I think that she could compete with men who are similar to her in size and athletic ability. You are judging basketball skill on size, speed and jumping ability only. You are also failing to take into account ball handling, passing, shooting and overall game IQ. Candace is as good as any NBA superstar in all of those categories. Chris Paul is one of the best players in the NBA and is not known for his strength or pure athletic ability. Does that mean he isn't fun to watch?
seriously? men 6'5" who could barely dunk. I guess since you put it such that she could beat men selected to be worse than she is, you have a very good point.

Really high IQ basketbally players get killed daily by those who can run, jump and are bigger. It's strange that it works that way, but it does.

What leads you to believe that she has a high basketball IQ? Is it the part where she's bigger, stronger, faster and jumps better than everyone she's playing against and that makes her look smarter?

seriously? men 6'5" who could barely dunk. I guess since you put it such that she could beat men selected to be worse than she is, you have a very good point.

Really high IQ basketbally players get killed daily by those who can run, jump and are bigger. It's strange that it works that way, but it does.

What leads you to believe that she has a high basketball IQ? Is it the part where she's bigger, stronger, faster and jumps better than everyone she's playing against and that makes her look smarter?

It's easy to see that Candace is an intelligent ball player. That fact that she is able to avoid double and triple teams to still lead the Vols in scoring evidences that. Nobody has been able to shut her down or take her out of her game and that is not because of pure athletic ability alone. Your arguments show that you have never played organized team basketball. I get your point that Candace can't dunk as well as men! Candace has tremendous basketball skill and would beat most men who are similar in size to her. Why do you seem so threatened by her skills and by the WNBA? WNBA games aren't preempting reruns of the Duke boys or Hehaw so what does it matter to you if they are on TV? This argument really does make you seem sexist and ignorant.

It's easy to see that Candace is an intelligent ball player. That fact that she is able to avoid double and triple teams to still lead the Vols in scoring evidences that. Nobody has been able to shut her down or take her out of her game and that is not because of pure athletic ability alone. Your arguments show that you have never played organized team basketball. I get your point that Candace can't dunk as well as men! Candace has tremendous basketball skill and would beat most men who are similar in size to her. Why do you seem so threatened by her skills and by the WNBA? WNBA games aren't preempting reruns of the Duke boys or Hehaw so what does it matter to you if they are on TV? This argument really does make you seem sexist and ignorant.
She beats double and triple teams because she's generally more talented than everyone else. Doesn't hurt her scoring when UT can generally put a couple 3 point shooters on the same side with CP.

I have played a wee bit of organized ball and know a tad about the organized game, though I'm obviously lagging behind you. She would be most men her size, but would not touch 6'4" or 6'5" decent basketball players. Just wouldn't happen.

I'm not threatened in the least by her. I'm giving my opinion on a message board. My playing days are long since gone. She proves no threat at all to me. Hell, she probably still can't beat me.

Here you go again with the redneck implication, but it just doesn't hold water and you know it. I think womens ball has no business on TV and the money hemorrhaging in the WNBA is a solid testament to that truth. It's not sexist or ignorant at all to point it out.

Now, if you want to continue to be an ostrich or see it as a slight on the WNBA, that's your business.

Chris Paul isn't know for pure athletic ability??? Have you seen his speed and quickness????

You have posted some of the dumbest things regarding basketball I've ever seen.

Are you Mickey Dearstone? If not I know a terrible morning talk show you would love.

Larry Bird could barely dunk, was not fast or particularly quick, I assume you think Candace could beat him.

Larry Bird could barely dunk, was not fast or particularly quick, I assume you think Candace could beat him.
uhh...I'm with you in principal, but Bird could easily hammer it, just chose not to. Ditto McHale.

Chris Paul isn't know for pure athletic ability??? Have you seen his speed and quickness????

You have posted some of the dumbest things regarding basketball I've ever seen.

Are you Mickey Dearstone? If not I know a terrible morning talk show you would love.
why make the effort? He's arguing that CP has enormous basketball IQ. Have you heard her interviews regarding games? She says teammates 237 times and little else.

She is the dominant physical talent in the game and has respectable handle and skills for her size. A 6'5" swingman in the NBA with her handle, shooting, passing and IQ, would be without job very quickly and we know it. Homerism finds it very hard to see.

VN Store

Back