Sooner fan really looking forward to the game

So now you're OC is rated #1, too.

I knew a guy in the Army. He was from some small town outside New York; maybe in Connecticut or Jersey, idk. In any case, this fella, every one he knew in high school (yep, high school) was one of the best in the country at whatever. The trumpet player in his high school band? Best in the country. His math teacher? Best in the nation. Girlfriend? You got it, hottest girl her age in the country. And he made all these pronouncements with such confidence.

We had trouble not laughing at him each time he started talking.

So you have the #1 OL coach in the nation, as proven by your buddy the NFL coach telling you, and your OC is the #1 offensive analyst.

Got it. No, I'm just smiling, not laughing. Promise.

Go Vols!
Reading comprehension is important. I said he was our #1 Offensive Analyst

So now you're OC is rated #1, too.

I knew a guy in the Army. He was from some small town outside New York; maybe in Connecticut or Jersey, idk. In any case, this fella, every one he knew in high school (yep, high school) was one of the best in the country at whatever. The trumpet player in his high school band? Best in the country. His math teacher? Best in the nation. Girlfriend? You got it, hottest girl her age in the country. And he made all these pronouncements with such confidence.

We had trouble not laughing at him each time he started talking.

So you have the #1 OL coach in the nation, as proven by your buddy the NFL coach telling you, and your OC is the #1 offensive analyst.

Got it. No, I'm just smiling, not laughing. Promise.

Go Vols!
I don’t know how’d you’d measure the best analyst in the country 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂

V-Rex, I acknowledge my status as guest. I also very much respect your post. As I mentioned at the outset my affinity for UT (not tu) goes back to the '60's. I cannot cede the '71 game v. Nebbish as anything but the game of the century but certainly can see that your choice is a viable contender.

BTW, just as you cannot pick your parents, until very, very recently you could not pick the conference you played in. It is poor form to bash the conferences. UT did not always play in the SEC either. Regardless, looking forward to your banter this season.

Respectfully,
fairdinkem

As lifelong, "grey-beard" fans of the Big Orange and Sooners, respectively, I am curious as to your insights on a particular point. Given the fact that you have longstanding rivalries with Tejas and Nebraska, even if that rivalry has been suspended by conference realignments, what is your opinion and, by extension, that of the Sooner faithful regarding the Longhorn and Cornhusker fanbases? I have my suspicions but most certainly would like to hear straight from the proverbial horse's mouth.

Should Sooner Redzone or other Oklahoma fans wish to respond to this question, their input would also be welcome. Incidentally, I have no qualm conceding the '71 OU-Nebraska game as the game of the 20th century; it certainly was billed as such back then and, for once, a much ballyhooed game lived up to the hype and then some.

As lifelong, "grey-beard" fans of the Big Orange and Sooners, respectively, I am curious as to your insights on a particular point. Given the fact that you have longstanding rivalries with Tejas and Nebraska, even if that rivalry has been suspended by conference realignments, what is your opinion and, by extension, that of the Sooner faithful regarding the Longhorn and Cornhusker fanbases? I have my suspicions but most certainly would like to hear straight from the proverbial horse's mouth.

Should Sooner Redzone or other Oklahoma fans wish to respond to this question, their input would also be welcome. Incidentally, I have no qualm conceding the '71 OU-Nebraska game as the game of the 20th century; it certainly was billed as such back then and, for once, a much ballyhooed game lived up to the hype and then some.
Nebraska fans fantastic. It was very respectful rivalry. Texas fans are from Texas. The state of Texas has a problem. But when we play it’s not out of control at the state fair. But it was more of a heated rivalry.

...what is your opinion and, by extension, that of the Sooner faithful regarding the Longhorn and Cornhusker fanbases?

@Volosaurus rex, I've always found the Cornhusker fanbase to be knowledgeable and respectful college football fans.

I can't say the same about the Longhorn fanbase. They're usually very arrogant and usually over-estimate their school and football team. Their academic snobbery is just another annoying aspect that you'll notice when you interact with them -- sigh.

Last edited:
Here we come SEC. Where’s the Vols? 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😱

That is a ridiculous tweet, for starters you can't take the entirety of his new contract and compare that to what people have earned so far, that doesn't make any sense because contracts are always getting bigger, as well as the fact that the new contract isn't all guaranteed. Secondly of course OU is close to the top of that list, they have 2 QB's who are on their second contract and QB's make by far the most money.

That is a ridiculous tweet, for starters you can't take the entirety of his new contract and compare that to what people have earned so far, that doesn't make any sense because contracts are always getting bigger, as well as the fact that the new contract isn't all guaranteed. Secondly of course OU is close to the top of that list, they have 2 QB's who are on their second contract and QB's make by far the most money.
And they’ll never have a QB that’s made an impact in the NFL as much as Manning.

@B81, your argument doesn't match on-the-field results:

1) In the year you mentioned (2023), Big XII team Oklahoma State beat SEC Texas A&M (and Texas A&M should have won by your reasoning).
2) Likewise, Big XII Texas beat SEC Alabama even though big bad Bama also had a better blue chip ratio and was SEC elite.
3) Likewise Big XII BYU beat SEC Arkansas even though Arkansas had a large advantage in team talent (27% higher team talent composite score at 247sports).

In three out of four 2023 Big XII/SEC matchups, the Big XII won. In the fourth matchup, the same Mizzu that beat Tennessee by 29 beat Big XII 5th place Kansas State by 3 in Columbia, MO.

I think OU's 2024 schedule will be harder than its 2023 schedule -- but the increase in difficulty is no where near as much as SEC fanboys imagine.

I suggest taking advantage of those Vegas odds if you're certain Tennessee is going to beat OU by double digits in Norman.
The ATM game you mentioned was a bowl game where ATM didn’t have a coach. Hilarious. Yes bama lost a game to texas and mizu barely beat kst.

The point we have tried to get across to you guys is that it is not one game , but the war of attrition. As an example: if you beat UT the next week you have to go to Jordan Hare, a stadium bigger than every stadium you played in last year, and then get ready to play texas. Oklahoma is more talented than Auburn , but if you take them lightly they can beat you.

Its not one game, it is having to get up each and every week, or get beat like we did at Mizzu last year. UT had just ran a gauntlet ot ATM, bama, and ky. We had several starters out, and we were extremely thin last year due to transfers out when Pruitt left, and the ncaa sanctions.

The ATM game you mentioned was a bowl game where ATM didn’t have a coach. Hilarious. Yes bama lost a game to texas and mizu barely beat kst.

The point we have tried to get across to you guys is that it is not one game , but the war of attrition. As an example: if you beat UT the next week you have to go to Jordan Hare, a stadium bigger than every stadium you played in last year, and then get ready to play texas. Oklahoma is more talented than Auburn , but if you take them lightly they can beat you.

Its not one game, it is having to get up each and every week, or get beat like we did at Mizzu last year. UT had just ran a gauntlet ot ATM, bama, and ky. We had several starters out, and we were extremely thin last year due to transfers out when Pruitt left, and the ncaa sanctions.
But what if the mid-tier and lower-tier teams of the Big XII are comparable to those in the SEC?

I understand the losing SEC teams had several root causes to their losses last year — there’s always a few reasons behind an outcome. The fact remains that Oklahoman had a schedule of teams that beat SEC teams last year Were injuries and attrition a possibility for OU in Big XII play?

Like Tennessee, Oklahoma wants to be the top dog in the SEC. We have our work cut out for us — for awhile there’s always been a few elite teams in the SEC. This isn’t expected to be our year, but my guess is SEC teams are under estimating us.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nebraska fans fantastic. It was very respectful rivalry. Texas fans are from Texas. The state of Texas has a problem. But when we play it’s not out of control at the state fair. But it was more of a heated rivalry.

That is what I expected. Is it true that, on occasion, the Cornhusker faithful will actually applaud a victorious visiting team, out of respect, as they come off the field for the final time? If so, that is truly remarkable sportsmanship.

That is what I expected. Is it true that, on occasion, the Cornhusker faithful will actually applaud a victorious visiting team, out of respect, as they come off the field for the final time? If so, that is truly remarkable sportsmanship.
Nah. Not in Neyland. 52-49.

To the River!!!

@Volosaurus rex, I've always found the Cornhusker fanbase to be knowledgeable and respectful college football fans.

I can't say the same about the Longhorn fanbase. They're usually very arrogant and usually over-estimate their school and football team. Their academic snobbery can be particularly annoying, especially when you've actually went to a better graduate school than Texas (but they're content to make assumptions and roll with it). . .

Your characterization of Tejas fans is also what I would have expected. As a veteran of 56 years of Big Orange pigskinery who has since moved to Montana, there is a quote by John Steinbeck, the renowned author, which is entirely appropriate: “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.” Feel free to use if you are so inclined.

By the way, I don't believe that any Tennessee fan in his/her right mind, particularly those grounded in college football history, is underestimating Oklahoma in the slightest. The simple reality is that an SEC schedule is a gauntlet, more so than any other conference. Furthermore, the difference between mediocrity and good SEC teams is razor thin. To illustrate that simple premise, our last national championship (1998) team beat excellent Florida and Arkansas teams at home by 3 and 4 points, respectively. The following year, we lost to the same two teams on the road by 2 and 4 points, respectively.

VN Store

Back