Sooner fan really looking forward to the game

But what if the mid-tier and lower-tier teams of the Big XII are comparable to those in the SEC?

I understand the losing SEC teams had several root causes to their losses last year — there’s always a few reasons behind an outcome. The fact remains that Oklahoman had a schedule of teams that beat SEC teams last year Were injuries and attrition a possibility for OU in Big XII play?

Like Tennessee, Oklahoma wants to be the top dog in the SEC. We have our work cut out for us — for awhile there’s always been a few elite teams in the SEC. This isn’t expected to be our year, but my guess is SEC teams are under estimating us.
The difference is that the mid tier sec teams are full of nfl players, and the mid tier big 12 teams are full of future insurance salesmen. They also play in stadiums that are significantly larger and thus more intimidating.

Oklahoma is a great program and should do very well in the sec. But if you think you will win 50 of the next 100 sec championship like you did in the big12 you are in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just curious I’ve mentioned our OL concerns despite our top OL coach. Curious about 5 new starters in your secondary. Our board foaming at the mouth

Just curious I’ve mentioned our OL concerns despite our top OL coach. Curious about 5 new starters in your secondary. Our board foaming at the mouth
We upgraded immensely…at least athletically. Your Cujos would’ve really loved last season’s crew.

Wow, you guys are tough. I've always had a soft spot for the Vols and certainly since Heuple hired on. Mainly used to dealing with cults at TA&M and the elitists (trophy-less) in Austin. You guys thus far win the ad hominem attack title hands down. Carry on.

Oh come on man, don't act surprised. You could've created a thread of the effect, "really looking forward to watching two storied programs duke it out on the field this year and in the future". Something like that would've been well received. But the whole "lets put things into perspective", and listing things that Oklahoma has more of than Tennessee comes off as very condescending, so don't get upset that you received a little kickback. Oklahoma is a respected and storied program, but have them play Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, etc., yearly and I guarantee that win/loss record wouldn't be as pretty. That being said, should be a heckuva game.

I'm not predicting the outcome of the game, but I am sure of one thing..... These Sooners will be either radio silent or completely full of excuses if they lose on 9/21. I'm hoping for radio silent. Wow! They make Georgia and 'Bama fans seem chill and they haven't taken the first SEC snap.
You mean like the Volnation losing to us in 2014-15? 2014 when Stoops had his worst team? 🤪😂

Last edited:
We Vol fans are realistic unlike you. We know we have weaknesses that will get exposed at some point in our difficult schedule.

If you want a full breakdown,
we have a first year starter at qb- worried
We have 2 new ol starters-worried
We have an untested wr room- worried
We are inexperienced at running back behind sampson- worried
We have a complete new secondary- $h1tting rocks

We Vol fans are realistic unlike you. We know we have weaknesses that will get exposed at some point in our difficult schedule.

If you want a full breakdown,
we have a first year starter at qb- worried
We have 2 new ol starters-worried
We have an untested wr room- worried
We are inexperienced at running back behind sampson- worried
We have a complete new secondary- $h1tting rocks
I’ve been pretty realistic. 8-4 is where the oddsmakers mostly have us actually 7.5. I’ve mentioned our OL concerns

Doesn’t show where this is from? The Knoxville student newspaper? What does Vegas Insider, Draft Kings or ESPN FPI say? I’ll hang up and listen 🤪😆😂🤣🤷‍♂️
Site predicted Vols winning the College World Series in early May.

Didn't those sites you mentioned all pick FSU over Tech last week? Didn't look here so can't say what they predicted. I can either look at an unbiased site or continue to listen to you guys telling us how great you are.

But like I said fwiw.

You mean like the Volnation losing to us in 2014-15? 2014 when Stoops had his worst team? 🤪😂
You just continue to prove my point. A wise man would choose to be humble and wait to see what happens instead of bringing up 10 year old history. And you're wrong, VolNation didn't lose our team just didn't win that battle. Time for your meds dude.

You just continue to prove my point. A wise man would choose to be humble and wait to see what happens instead of bringing up 10 year old history. And you're wrong, VolNation didn't lose our team just didn't win that battle. Time for your meds dude.
LMAO Mary I was responding how you said if we lose I’d be radio silent or full of excuses. Every time I mention our wins in 14-15 all kind of Vol excuses show up. I said earlier I’m a gracious loser with no excuses but a terrible winner.

LMAO Mary I was responding how you said if we lose I’d be radio silent or full of excuses. Every time I mention our wins in 14-15 all kind of Vol excuses show up. I said earlier I’m a gracious loser with no excuses but a terrible winner.

press-x-for-doubt-x-for-doubt.gif
You could just shorten that to terrible. Saves a lot of typing trouble.

I thought I was going to dislike the Texas fans more but you're putting in some real work.

LMAO Mary I was responding how you said I’d be radio silent or full of excuses. Every time I mention our wins in 14-15 all kind of Vol excuses show up. I said earlier I’m a gracious loser with no excuses but a terrible winner.
Site predicted Vols winning the College World Series in early May.

Didn't those sites you mentioned all pick FSU over Tech last week? Didn't look here so can't say what they predicted. I can either look at an unbiased site or continue to listen to you guys telling us how great you are.

But like I said fwiw.

I would have predicted Tenn to win WCWS

LMAO Mary I was responding how you said I’d be radio silent or full of excuses. Every time I mention our wins in 14-15 all kind of Vol excuses show up. I said earlier I’m a gracious loser with no excuses but a terrible winner.

You would have predicted? Hindsight works for everyone.

You talk like our 2014-2015 teams were some loaded juggernaut. Your “worst team” versus our rebuilding program and we needed a limited HC to prevent blowing your team out in Knoxville. I know you have to run with your troll narrative but at least keep it honest. 😴

While the Sooners had Stoops, a seasoned and very successful coach, TN was playing, “which loser coach can be hired for the cost of a McDonald’s #1 combo”. TN would’ve loved to have had a long term coach anywhere near Stoops level in 14-15 so saying to Vol fans “Stoops had his worst team ever in 14-15” is falling on deaf ears.

The ATM game you mentioned was a bowl game where ATM didn’t have a coach. Hilarious. Yes bama lost a game to texas and mizu barely beat kst.

The point we have tried to get across to you guys is that it is not one game , but the war of attrition. As an example: if you beat UT the next week you have to go to Jordan Hare, a stadium bigger than every stadium you played in last year, and then get ready to play texas. Oklahoma is more talented than Auburn , but if you take them lightly they can beat you.

Its not one game, it is having to get up each and every week, or get beat like we did at Mizzu last year. UT had just ran a gauntlet ot ATM, bama, and ky. We had several starters out, and we were extremely thin last year due to transfers out when Pruitt left, and the ncaa sanctions.

I'm aware of the fact that Texas A&M removed Jimbo Fisher prior to Oklahoma State beating them. In fact, I'd argue that we know the Texas A&M program better than Tennessee does -- we frequently battle them in recruiting and we've played them many more times. Texas A&M had their coaching staff including both OC and DC, a large lead in talent, plus Texas A&M is from the big bad SEC. If the mid-tier SEC is so much stronger than the competition OU faces, the SEC team should have won.

Note that when Lincoln Riley abruptly and unexpectedly left us without a head coach before our bowl game, we took care of business against Oregon.

Our schedule will be harder in the SEC. Most teams will have more must-see games after the realignment. That was the point of the realignment. Here's the important thing -- the two take-away points:

(1) Going forward, the "SEC Gauntlet" will not make 5 or 6 SEC teams consistently better than Oklahoma.
(2) Going forward, the winner of the BiG and SEC will have conference losses most years.

But what if the mid-tier and lower-tier teams of the Big XII are comparable to those in the SEC?

I understand the losing SEC teams had several root causes to their losses last year — there’s always a few reasons behind an outcome. The fact remains that Oklahoman had a schedule of teams that beat SEC teams last year Were injuries and attrition a possibility for OU in Big XII play?

Like Tennessee, Oklahoma wants to be the top dog in the SEC. We have our work cut out for us — for awhile there’s always been a few elite teams in the SEC. This isn’t expected to be our year, but my guess is SEC teams are under estimating us.
that is a really big what if.

I would argue the Big 12 you had your mid tier teams simply because someone had to win the games. kinda like Iowa in the Big 10 west.
meanwhile in the SEC our mid and lower teams are often down there simply because someone had to lose the game.

and it also depends on what you are calling the mid tier? pairing it up based on several year average I would think the SEC is always going to be favored. granted the bottom 4 of yours or so would probably drop to our Bottom tier, and I think I would take anyone over Vandy. Arkansas and MSU (RIP) have struggled the last couple years but were typically solid, Ark beat Texas Sarks first year. Maybe there are some of those you could flip around and find more favorable match ups

Top Tier:
Bama > Texas
Georgia > Oklahoma

Mid Tier:
LSU > OSU?
Ole Miss >K state?
Auburn <TCU?
Tennessee >Iowa State?
Florida >Baylor?
TAMU >T. Tech
Missouri >WVU
Kentucky > Kansas

Lower Tier:
South Carolina
Mississippi State
Arkansas
Vandy

Here's the important thing -- the two take-away points:

(1) Going forward, the "SEC Gauntlet" will not make 5 or 6 SEC teams consistently better than Oklahoma.
(2) Going forward, the winner of the BiG and SEC will have conference losses most years.
Ooooh. Don't bet your house title on that.

I'm seeing Tennessee, UGa, Bama, Texas, and probably LSU ahead of you most years in the forseeable future. That's 5.

Plus, I'd say A&M and Ole Miss could be your short- to mid-term peer competitors, but never underestimate Kiffin's capacity to screw up a good thing, and who knows when/if A&M will find a new normal.

If you settle into the upper-middle of the conference, I think you ought to be pretty happy with your new home. You're not in Kansas any more, Dorothy.

The difference is that the mid tier sec teams are full of nfl players, and the mid tier big 12 teams are full of future insurance salesmen. They also play in stadiums that are significantly larger and thus more intimidating.

Oklahoma is a great program and should do very well in the sec. But if you think you will win 50 of the next 100 sec championship like you did in the big12 you are in for a rude awakening.

@B81, do you really believe this?

The mid-tier SEC teams had an average of 2.9 draft picks. The mid-tier Big XII teams had 1.6 draft picks. Do you really think that an average of one player per game is going to intimidate anyone? Of course, Oklahoma has more blue chips than most (all?) of the mid-tier SEC. Saying Oklahoma is intimidated by Bama and UGA is silly when we're either winning or taking them to double overtime. Saying we're intimidated by the rest of the SEC is laughable.

And why in the world would Oklahoma be afraid to play an SEC team at their house? Do you realize that we've won the last time we played at Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, UCLA (Rose Bowl), and Nebraska. That doesn't guarantee a win against Auburn at Jordan Hare, but I certainly wouldn't bet against Oklahoma based on your feeling that we will be intimidated.

Ooooh. Don't bet your house title on that.

I'm seeing Tennessee, UGa, Bama, Texas, and probably LSU ahead of you most years in the forseeable future. That's 5.

Plus, I'd say A&M and Ole Miss could be your short- to mid-term peer competitors, but never underestimate Kiffin's capacity to screw up a good thing, and who knows when/if A&M will find a new normal.

If you settle into the upper-middle of the conference, I think you ought to be pretty happy with your new home. You're not in Kansas any more, Dorothy.
Auburn is good for a run every once and a while. Florida won't stay garbage for forever.

Missouri will be a question of it they can continue their run, or was last year a flash in the pan.

South Carolina, Arkansas, and Mississippi State have had good coaches in the past and found success, so its possible there too.

VN Store

Back